• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Discoverer roofs to be discontinued (1 Viewer)

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast
United States
I dropped by the Bushnell headquarters and repair lab/factory outlet the other day and noticed that they were selling the 7x, 8x and 10x42 Discoverer roofs for something like $280, which is less than what these have been selling for recently. Since prices in the store are generally closer to list, and thus not competitive with places like Cabela's or Eagle Optics, I asked the reason and was told that the Discoverer is being discontinued. I was told it would be replaced by something of comparable quality/price but which will have the same lens and prism coatings as the Elite. I've always been a fan of the 7x42 compared to other modestly priced roofs because of its 420 ft field of view. I looked at the newer 8x version (also w/420 ft FOV) expecting to find it less satisfactory, but I found it very comfortable and nice to look through.
--AP

That 8x42 does look promising. If they plan to get rid of Monarchs, I will be tempted to get the 8x42 if it is cheap enough, but this is may be more attractive for such a price. Keep looking.

Thanks for the update AP. I would be genuinely curious to see the new model they replace it with. The price on the discontinued models sounds excellent. I have not looked through a pair for some time but remember being fairly satisfied with the 8x version as well.

Good question. They could sacrifice it in favor of better edge sharpness as some companies have chosen. It would be a shame though as I find myself tending prefer 8x binoculars with plenty of eye relief and fields of view over 400 feet. I do not think there are any other full sized 8x roofs in this price range that can match it in that regard.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back