• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Zeiss SFL 8x30 compared with select current 8x30/8x32 roof binoculars (2 Viewers)

If you could not sell them on, I think some people (a minority, but some) would in fact prefer an EII over a NL, for some of the same reasons you prefer your 7x35s to modern roofs - especially if the latest coatings are as good as Brock says. If you don't need glasses, if you are more a general observer than focused on birding, if you live in a climate where you don't have to worry about fogging etc. sometimes a light 8x30 porro with rubber eyecups can sometimes fit your requirements better than anything else.
Did I say I preferred 7x35 porros to modern day roofs 🤔. I’d prefer them to some roofs, not the premium options. Nor do I prefer a mid level E2 to a premium SF, NL, EL, Noctivids etc. etc. if I were choosing in the 8x porro class, the SE and Habicht’s would be my first two choices way before the E2. But to each their own.

If you could not sell them on, I think some people (a minority, but some) would in fact prefer an EII over a NL, for some of the same reasons you prefer your 7x35s to modern roofs - especially if the latest coatings are as good as Brock says. If you don't need glasses, if you are more a general observer than focused on birding, if you live in a climate where you don't have to worry about fogging etc. sometimes a light 8x30 porro with rubber eyecups can sometimes fit your requirements better than anything else.
Hmmm, you made me think again. Maybe we should do a discussion titled, if somebody were to give you a choice for either a free NL or an E2, which would you choose…

What a great thread!

Here's my informal take on three well-known 8x32 roof prism binoculars.

I spent about 10 days closely comparing three 8x32s: NL, SF, and UVHD+.

Image sharpness was so close among the three that I was perfectly content with any of the three.

However, the color quality, contrast, and color saturation was a major differentiator for me. Color quality is something that is very important to me. The Leica was easily my absolute favorite for color quality - simply sublime (with a slight hint toward pale rose - comparatively speaking, but still quite natural looking). Next favorite for color quality were the NLs, which were just "ok". SF came in last among the three for color quality, not all that impressive for rendering a beautiful color quality.

All three are excellent binoculars (of course). Ultimately, I kept the UVHD+ and the SF, but I returned the NL.

What I didn't like about the NLs were the pinched waist barrel design, the armor was not very "grippy" in my hands, and the focus wheel was a little coarse and uneven and felt of lower quality, as compared to the Zeiss and the Leica.

The Zeiss and Leica armor textures made them feel very secure in the hands - and the feel of the focus wheels was superb in the Zeiss and very close to superb with the Leica. The Leica focus wheel felt perfectly smooth and even, but it simply took very slightly more finger pressure to turn than the Zeiss focus wheel. I'd call the Zeiss focus wheel a "10" and the Leica focus wheel a "9.7". The NL focus wheel was about a "6" in my opinion. Feel of the focus wheel is a very important thing to me, as that is THE primary user-interface one has when using a binocular.

I much preferred the traditional barrel shapes and armor (Leica and Zeiss), which felt very secure in my hands.

As for comparing the 8x32 SF and 8x32 UVHD+... the UVHD+ are my overall favorite, by far. They are just such a sweet spot of size, weight, build quality, balance, and that "view". But the SFs are excellent, as well.

Of course, we each have our particular personal preferences. There are no bad choices if you select which binoculars satisfy you the most when you look through them, and feel the best to hold in your hands and operate the focus wheel.

(I also have a pair of Conquest HD 8x32's, which I've enjoyed for many years, and must say that they hold a spot very close to the SF and the UVHD+, especially considering their price! Conquest HD 8x32s are awesome binoculars, in every respect.)

Last edited:
What a great thread!

Image sharpness was so close among the three that I was perfectly content with any of the three.

However, the color quality, contrast, and color saturation was a major differentiator for me. Color quality is something that is very important to me. The Leica was easily my absolute favorite for color quality - simply sublime (with a slight hint toward pale rose - comparatively speaking, but still quite natural looking). Next favorite for color quality were the NLs, which were just "ok". SF came in last among the three for color quality, not all that impressive for rendering a beautiful color quality.

All three are excellent binoculars (of course). Ultimately, I kept the UVHD+ and the SF, but I returned the NL.

What I didn't like about the NLs were the pinched waist barrel design, the armor was not very "grippy" in my hands, and the focus wheel was a little coarse and uneven and felt of lower quality, as compared to the Zeiss and the Leica.

The Zeiss and Leica armor textures made them feel very secure in the hands - and the feel of the focus wheels was superb in the Zeiss and very close to superb with the Leica. The Leica focus wheel felt perfectly smooth and even, but it simply took very slightly more finger pressure to turn than the Zeiss focus wheel. I'd call the Zeiss focus wheel a "10" and the Leica focus wheel a "9.7". The NL focus wheel was about a "6" in my opinion. Feel of the focus wheel is a very important thing to me, as that is THE primary user-interface one has when using a binocular.

I much preferred the traditional barrel shapes and armor (Leica and Zeiss), which felt very secure in my hands.

As for comparing the 8x32 SF and 8x32 UVHD+... the UVHD+ are my overall favorite, by far. They are just such a sweet spot of size, weight, build quality, balance, and that "view". But the SFs are excellent, as well.

Of course, we each have our particular personal preferences. There are no bad choices if you select which binoculars satisfy you the most when you look through them, and feel the best to hold in your hands and operate the focus wheel.

(I also have a pair of Conquest HD 8x32's, which I've enjoyed for many years, and must say that they hold a spot very close to the SF and the UVHD+, especially considering their price! Conquest HD 8x32s are awesome binoculars, in every respect.)
Thank you for sharing your hands-on experience!
If the Ultravid are clearly your favourites, and you have the Conquest as very good 'spare'/second 8x32 binoculars, may I ask why you keep also the SF? Do you find there are some specific situations where you do prefer using the SF rather than the Ultravid?
(I am not commenting against having several binoculars: I have several 8x30/32 myself :) (The one I use most often currently is the Zeiss FL. I have never tried an SF, SFL or Swarovski NL.))

What a great thread!

Good write up Don. I can’t agree more with the Leica color saturation, it’s such a wonderful image. Of course they’re all excellent and very little difference between them, its just the Leica is easier on my eyes. I have the same feeling about Nikons, EDG and MHG’s.

I do believe you had a less than stellar example of the NL, mine all have superb focusers and the half dozen others I’ve used over the last year or so were as good as the SF’s. My NL focusers are superior to all my Leica’s. The Leica focusers are good , but not the best , they’re a little dry, not quite as smooth with less feedback than NL’s, SF’s and EDG’s. Thats my experience. I really believe the $1000 price point is the happy medium, we get great glass, good build quality and will last for years.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your hands-on experience!
If the Ultravid are clearly your favourites, and you have the Conquest as very good 'spare'/second 8x32 binoculars, may I ask why you keep also the SF? Do you find there are some specific situations where you do prefer using the SF rather than the Ultravid?
(I am not commenting against having several binoculars: I have several 8x30/32 myself :) (The one I use most often currently is the Zeiss FL. I have never tried an SF, SFL or Swarovski NL.))
mbb.... I have something of an embarrassment of riches. I have more binoculars than I really need. I do have numerous places around the house from which I can use binoculars, so I have them stashed around here and there. But in the end, you are right... I can certainly let go of some of my binoculars and still get along just great!

I cannot say that the 8x32SF are necessarily particularly "better", and certainly NOR any worse when it comes to applying a pair of 8x32 bins to use! They're all wonderfully good. Whichever ones I happen to pick up perform the service admirably. And, the 8x32SF are certainly among the finest of my binoculars! (I have the 10x32SFs and 10x42SFs, also.)

I just have a particular love of "the look" which I am presented with when I bring a pair of Ultravid HD+ binoculars up to my eyes. I won't say the word that I use to describe that look, as it has been tossed around quite a bit on the forum. :). I'm just a tried and true lover of UVHD+ binoculars. I love the build quality, the materials, the size, the form factor, the armor material, and especially "the view". Some other binoculars may technically have wider field of view, or flatter this, or less of that, or sharper edges, or whatever else... but when it comes down to just putting the binoculars in my hands, and bringing them up to my eyes, and looking through them... UVHD+ hit it out of the park.... they "gets my money".

In fact, you have prompted me to consider posting some of my bins for sale. I have too many. Having so many binoculars, none of them have seen much use! (Same goes with some of my other hobbies, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say. I have become something of a collector. Too many guitars, too many flashlights, too many knives, too many guns! I really DO need to pare down!)

Last edited:
Good write up Don. I can’t agree more with the Leica color saturation, it’s such a wonderful image. Of course they’re all excellent and very little difference between them, its just the Leica is easier on my eyes. I have the same feeling about Nikons, EDG and MHG’s.

I do believe you had a less than stellar example of the NL, mine all have superb focusers and the half dozen others I’ve used over the last year or so were as good as the SF’s. My NL focusers are superior to all my Leica’s. The Leica focusers are good , but not the best , they’re a little dry, not quite as smooth with less feedback than NL’s, SF’s and EDG’s. Thats my experience. I really believe the $1000 price point is the happy medium, we get great glass, good build quality and will last for years.
Hi Paul! Yes, my friend. All of the binoculars we're considering are such excellent tools. Can't really go wrong with ANY of them!

And of course, one need not spend $2500-$3000 to obtain superb, high quality binoculars. Conquest HD is a perfect example of this. I've had mine for going on 10 years and I can still pick up either of them (8x32 and 10x42) and enjoy a binocular experience that is quite excellent and very pleasing - even with numerous other binoculars I have at hand, that cost upwards of $2600. These Conquest HD will continue to provide great service to those who follow me, long after I have shed this mortal shell and ascended to meet eternity.

Zeiss focus wheel feel and function is the best of all that I've personally experienced. But that said, my samples of Leica UVHD+ focus wheels (8x32, 10x32 and 7x42) are all excellent, if not quite as "wonderfully perfect" feeling as Zeiss is able to offer.

Last edited:
mbb.... I have something of an embarrassment of riches. I have more binoculars than I really need. I do have numerous places around the house from which I can use binoculars, so I have them stashed around here and there. But in the end, you are right... I can certainly let go of some of my binoculars and still get along just great!

I cannot say that the 8x32SF are necessarily particularly "better", and certainly NOR any worse when it comes to applying a pair of 8x32 bins to use! They're all wonderfully good. Whichever ones I happen to pick up perform the service admirably. And, the 8x32SF are certainly among the finest of my binoculars! (I have the 10x32SFs and 10x42SFs, also.)

I just have a particular love of "the look" which I am presented with when I bring a pair of Ultravid HD+ binoculars up to my eyes. I won't say the word that I use to describe that look, as it has been tossed around quite a bit on the forum. :). I'm just a tried and true lover of UVHD+ binoculars. I love the build quality, the materials, the size, the form factor, the armor material, and especially "the view". Some other binoculars may technically have wider field of view, or flatter this, or less of that, or sharper edges, or whatever else... but when it comes down to just putting the binoculars in my hands, and bringing them up to my eyes, and looking through them... UVHD+ hit it out of the park.... they "gets my money".

In fact, you have prompted me to consider posting some of my bins for sale. I have too many. Having so many binoculars, none of them have seen much use! (Same goes with some of my other hobbies, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say. I have become something of a collector. Too many guitars, too many flashlights, too many knives, too many guns! I really DO need to pare down!)
Well said. And you can never have to many guns 😜✌🏼🙏🏼.

Paul

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say. I have become something of a collector. Too many guitars, too many flashlights, too many knives, too many guns! I really DO need to pare down!)
As one, I recognize BF serves as a place for recovering (as distinct from recovered) gearheads. Surely not all, but many of us hang here for reasons a bit beyond buying a binocular for birding. Just to be clear...It is after all called Birdforum and we are the bino sub group... Just sayin.

In a weird way, it's sorta therapeutic watching others in the throes of this affliction. Is this our version of the "meeting"?

"My name is Tom and Im a gearhead..."

Don, become? Ha!

Guy cant have too many flashlights....

Last edited:
As one, I recognize BF serves as a place for recovering (as distinct from recovered) gearheads. Surely not all, but many of us hang here for reasons a bit beyond buying a binocular for birding. Just to be clear...It is after all called Birdforum and we are the bino sub group... Just sayin.

In a weird way, it's sorta therapeutic watching others in the throes of this affliction. Is this our version of the "meeting"?

"My name is Tom and Im a gearhead..."

Don, become? Ha!

Guy cant have too many flashlights....
Tom
I have to say I think it’s much more a passion than an affliction. It might be defined as an affliction if you’re buying stuff you can’t afford. Collecting nice things and enjoying using them and the sheer pleasure of ownership, to me is very rewarding.

I’ve never looked at it as an affliction, just like Food, Booze, jewelry , guns, etc. etc. are all joys of life. Although guns are a little bit different, they serve multiple purposes.

Paul

Tom
I have to say I think it’s much more a passion than an affliction. It might be defined as an affliction if you’re buying stuff you can’t afford. Collecting nice things and enjoying using them and the sheer pleasure of ownership, to me is very rewarding.

I’ve never looked at it as an affliction, just like Food, Booze, jewelry , guns, etc. etc. are all joys of life. Although guns are a little bit different, they serve multiple purposes.

Paul
Yes well, Passion - Affliction.... Such a thin line. Stuff you can't afford? Or stuff you don't need?

Just cuz, is not always a just cause.

Yes well, Passion - Affliction.... Such a thin line. Stuff you can't afford? Or stuff you don't need?

Just cuz, is not always a just cause.
Hmm , Tom I don't want to get into a definition dispute, but I don’t think there’s a fine line there.

I think the definition changes when you can’t afford the items your buying.

As far as need, please Tom don’t go there. We could apply that to almost anything. It’s never about need with luxury items or multiples of something. Except guns of course.

Last edited:
That’s me to a T, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back