• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Zeiss SFL 8x30 compared with select current 8x30/8x32 roof binoculars (1 Viewer)

I took the plunge and bought the SFL 8x30. So far only balcony testing, but looks very good. Could replace my 8x42 Ultravid as my main bin. I'll know it after the summer holidays. But in any case, looks like a great bin for 1000 CHF (benefiting from the trade-in action).
Well, that is considerably cheaper than I found it (including the cashback). In the end, I paid around CHF 1300. But I agree that it is a great tool if size/weight are important.

I think an ortho increases the contrast, not the resolution. And I use my 42-degree eyepieces for that superior contrast on everything, not just planets. The reason for the improved contrast is fewer lens elements to scatter light & degrade the image, something that applies to bino oculars as well as astro. But we're digressing and on the wrong website for this :)

btw, it's the Allbinos review that's long in the tooth, not the new EDG I purchased 6 months ago. I believe their 10x42 EDG review was done in 2011? We don't know if Nikon updated the coatings since then.

PS, Allbinos found 89% transmission in both the 2011 EDG and current NL, so that punctures the superior transparency idea a little....conversely they reported 93% transmission on the 10x42 Zeiss SF's....

PPS....it just occurred to me the word "binoculars" is a fusion of "bino" and "ocular"....cool! I think I like the German "Far-glass" better though :D
That’s why I don’t give much weight at all to the Allbino transmission numbers. They really don’t mean all that much , and I’m not sure how that stat even matters. As long as the glass and coatings are good ,you almost can’t tell the difference between a good 75% (Rangmaster) or an EDG at 89 on a sunny day. When the lights get low, then of course there’s an improvement.

Well.. you can spin and spin, and be glued into the rabbit holes of reviews, technical specifications, numbers, and chatter box. Round and round YOU go!

OR, you can simply draw the glasses to your eyes... discover what enchants YOUR peepers the most! And then, just move along and enjoy the ride!

Be obsessed? Or be impressed?

Your life. Your call. Just enjoy. :) I'm off to enjoying. See ya.

That’s why I don’t give much weight at all to the Allbino transmission numbers. They really don’t mean all that much , and I’m not sure how that stat even matters. As long as the glass and coatings are good ,you almost can’t tell the difference between a good 75% (Rangmaster) or an EDG at 89 on a sunny day. When the lights get low, then of course there’s an improvement.
I don't put any weight on Albino's...strictly facts and pretty technical stuff that belongs more in a lab than in in the field. Try them out...test the bins. Feel the bins....use em. That is how I determine which one to buy

Well.. you can spin and spin, and be glued into the rabbit holes of reviews, technical specifications, numbers, and chatter box. Round and round YOU go!

OR, you can simply draw the glasses to your eyes... discover what enchants YOUR peepers the most! And then, just move along and enjoy the ride!

Be obsessed? Or be impressed?

Your life. Your call. Just enjoy. :) I'm off to enjoying. See ya.
Bingo!

Well said.

Just look through the bleeping thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back