• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papa Westray (1 Viewer)

inveroran

We're going up to Orkney next June for 2 weeks holiday. Over the years we've been to most places in the islands. An exception is Papa Westray which we hope to 'do' next year.

Can anyone tell me what the birdwatching is like there?

Mike

Hi Inveroran - there's a bit here in Opus about Papa Westray, which may keep you going till someone with more information for you comes along.

D

Hi Mike - Papa westray (or Papay ((Papi)), as the locals call it) it fairly underwatched. It ought to get more records of 'good' birds than it does, but still decent things have been recorded.
To illustrate - a couple of weeks ago a mate came up (he's a top man, RSPB officer) and whilst we were having the odd y-b warbler and r-b shrike, he located a juv woodchat shrike on Papay. Just shows things turn up there.
The arctic tern colony (once one of the largest in the Isles, has suffered terribly in recent years and no birds bred this year. Same with the arctic skuas - although both species will be seen during the late spring/early summer). You'll see all the 'usual' suspects as well. Without doubt its speciality bird is corncrake - still doing ok there.
Perhaps Daf and Paul could add a bit more detail?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I knew there was an RSPB reserve but as Tim says there is little information about. I didn't know corncrakes bred there - last time we visited we heard one at Birsay several times - didn't see it though.

Roll on June.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back