• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro + CP4500 - What else Needed? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Im a few steps closer to beginning my adventure with digi-scoping... :frog:

Ive got a Swarovski ST80HD scope and tripod, and all being well, i should receive the CP4500 camera tomorrow.

I tried a friends Casio digi cam up to this scope yesterday, and i was pretty disappointed at results. But im sure the camera wasnt suited to the job anyway. I was just interested to see what would happen.

Once i have the above items, ST80HD and CP4500, can somebody suggest, in very simple terms, what other equipment im gonna need to get started?

I know there's lots of info in other threads, but if accessories i'll need can be included in this thread, then great.

I must admit, im pretty excited at the prospects, as ive waited a long time to be able to have a bash at digi-scoping.

From reading other threads, im sure my initial efforts will meet with much disappointment, but hopefully, i can prepare for that.

Any suggestions or links to help me progress will be greatly received........ :t:

thanks

tracker

Last edited:
Hi Tracker,

Camera, scope and tripod (I hope it's a sturdy one) are all you really need to get started as the camera can be hand held up to the scope though this is rather fiddly.

Basic requirements to my mind are -

1. An adapter to mount the camera to the scope. I've just bought the LCE model for £60. Swarovski do one too for just over £100 sounds a lot but it's a well engineered pice of kit and I suspect far better for using on stright scopes as it clamps the camera to the scope. Various other models are available too.

2. Cable release device. A remote cable device for £25-30 to assist in avoiding camera shake. Jessops do a nice one, but I've found the EagleEye generic one is more durable and slightly cheaper ( they also do adapters)

3. LCD magnifier / sunshade. A very useful device for seeing the LCD more easily to assist with focus. Available from EagleEye or slightly cheaper from Photosolve. The mini version fits the CP4500. Other manfactureers make them too, but these are well constructed.

4. Spare battery

5. Spare memory card. I use 256mb ones - the 16 mb one with the camera won't hold many photos. The faster 40x + cards are worth the extra few pounds.

I may have missed something, but these are what I regard as the essentials.

Tracker

I also use a Swarovski 65 and CP4500. The other bit of basic equipment is an adapter to attach the camera to the eyepiece of the scope. I've been using the London Camera Exchange adapter and I'm very happy with it. Give Trevor Codlin a call at LCE on 01962 866203. He's very helpful and got me sorted out.

I also changed the settings on the camera, largely following Andy Bright's setup and have had some very pleasing results. Close birds and bright sunny days for digiscoping will also help!

Good luck and have lots of fun

Dawn Balmer

IanF said:
5. Spare memory card. I use 256mb ones - the 16 mb one with the camera won't hold many photos. The faster 40x + cards are worth the extra few pounds.

Hi Ian, thanks for a really good summary of accessories.
If i can produce pictures that look a 1/4 as good as yours, then im sure i'll be happy.

Ive ordered a Sandisk 256mb CF card and spare battery. The battery is Nikon compatible, so i shall have to hope its ok.

Thanks again.

Thanks too Dawn for your encouragement and the recommendation for LCE and the help they can give. Im sure i'll need as much as possible

:t:

tracker

Digiscoping adapters can be a bit pricey. I currently use a plastic bottlecap from a Black - Pepper container which fits snugly over the folded-back eyecup on the eyepiece (20-60X).

I cut a hole in the cap that is a slightly larger diameter than the camera barrel. This allows me to quickly orient the camera lens with the scope eyepiece.

Pros:
Cheap
Allows for fast photos
Good in bright light

Cons:
Subject to camera shake (exaggerated in poor light where slower shutter speeds will be required)
Very difficult to follow moving targets

Even if you buy a digiscoping adapter, I recommend the bottlecap as there may be situations where it will be more convenient to use.

rka

rka said:
Digiscoping adapters can be a bit pricey. I currently use a plastic bottlecap from a Black - Pepper container which fits snugly over the folded-back eyecup on the eyepiece (20-60X).

I cut a hole in the cap that is a slightly larger diameter than the camera barrel. This allows me to quickly orient the camera lens with the scope eyepiece.

What a great idea. As you say good for quick access. Its the 20x-60x eye piece i have. How do you cope with turning the e/p when digi-scoping.......any problems there?

thanks for the idea, rka.......Im open to any good ideas like that... :t:

tracker

tracker said:
What a great idea. As you say good for quick access. Its the 20x-60x eye piece i have. How do you cope with turning the e/p when digi-scoping.......any problems there?

thanks for the idea, rka.......Im open to any good ideas like that... :t:

tracker

With digiscoping, usually the following sequence is followed:

1) Look through scope, zoom in as required and focus scope such that sharp image is seen through naked eye
2) Set Coolpix Camera to Manual / Macro / Flash off/ Spot metering etc. (many other posts on these details)
3) Couple camera to scope and half-press for focus. In 95% cases, this is sufficient for focusing. In the other 5% the scope focus may be adjusted to make the image in the camera LCD sharper.
4) Take the photo
5) Take many more photos.

Any turning of the eyepiece to change the zoom should really be done before handholding the camera in the bottlecap guide.

rka

rka said:
With digiscoping, usually the following sequence is followed:

1) Look through scope, zoom in as required and focus scope such that sharp image is seen through naked eye
2) Set Coolpix Camera to Manual / Macro / Flash off/ Spot metering etc. (many other posts on these details)
3) Couple camera to scope and half-press for focus. In 95% cases, this is sufficient for focusing. In the other 5% the scope focus may be adjusted to make the image in the camera LCD sharper.
4) Take the photo
5) Take many more photos.

Any turning of the eyepiece to change the zoom should really be done before handholding the camera in the bottlecap guide.

rka

Cool, rka.....you make it sound so simple, i just hope it is.........and youve made the wait a lot harder to bear now......... :D ;)

Thanks for your suggestions,

tracker

Hi Tracker,

EagleEye are doing a couple of 'job-lots' of adapter, wing-bracket, cable release & bracket, sunshade jobbie, which is supposed to work out a bit cheaper than buying all the bits separately.

Check out the website www.eagleeyeuk.com

One thing I forgot to mention, I knew there was something else ??? - which I also regard as essential is a camera bag. Lowepro make a very nice range and at reasonable prices - Jessops stock them along with other retailers and can be found a bit cheaper on eBay.

The model I use is the D-res 30AW which takes the camera, adapter still fitted, remote shutter cable and bracket still fitted, spare battery and spare memory cards.

It comes with a bumbag belt tho just as often I sling it on my shoulder or around my neck.

tracker said:
Hi,

Im a few steps closer to beginning my adventure with digi-scoping... :frog:

Ive got a Swarovski ST80HD scope and tripod, and all being well, i should receive the CP4500 camera tomorrow.

I tried a friends Casio digi cam up to this scope yesterday, and i was pretty disappointed at results. But im sure the camera wasnt suited to the job anyway. I was just interested to see what would happen.

Once i have the above items, ST80HD and CP4500, can somebody suggest, in very simple terms, what other equipment im gonna need to get started?

I know there's lots of info in other threads, but if accessories i'll need can be included in this thread, then great.

I must admit, im pretty excited at the prospects, as ive waited a long time to be able to have a bash at digi-scoping.

From reading other threads, im sure my initial efforts will meet with much disappointment, but hopefully, i can prepare for that.

Any suggestions or links to help me progress will be greatly received........ :t:

thanks

tracker

Hi Tracker, I have the Swarovski AT 80 HD and the same camera. When I went to the bird fair I went to a company called SRB, the web site is www.srbfilm.co.uk, Tel:01582 572471, they made up and sent out an adapter that joins all sections together, it cost me £35.00, works very well to digi-scope also got the remote for the coolpix via ebay, this does help even though I've read of negative feedback but it does do a job. Hope this has been of help.

Tracker

All I use is an adapter from London Camera Exchange. I'm sure a remote would help but I don't think you need this to get started. I haven't got one yet and have managed to take some very pleasing pics.

Just take lots of photos in the field and also wish for good light conditions.

Dawn

Tracker yes a camera to scope adaptor will be a real boon although not strictly necessary. A remote camera release is almost an essential to ensure no camera shake (you need an adaptor to use this!). All of my first photos came out blurred because I was trying to hold the camera and press the button.

Follow Andy Brights suggestions for camera settings. You will find many more around, and probably they all work in a fashion, but I tried them and have now come back full circle to Andy's settings. (That way you cannot blame the camera for out of focus shots etc!!)

And finally practice, practice and more practice. Do not get disheartened when your first few shots come out badly. Just look at them and decide what you did wrong. Make sure your first shots are of something that doesn't move, just to get your eye in. Then move up to slow moving birds or sitting targets, before you attempt to get that once in a lifetime shot. Take as many shots as you can, (I use continuous) to ensure you get at least one reasonable pose from a lot of them. Yesterday I was photographing an Avocet at Martin Mere. I took over thirty pictures and only one of them had the bird standing in a classic pose, and that was slightly out of focus!! All the sharpest ones had it with its head under water or with another duck spoiling the shot. Oh well thats how it goes!!

Oh and second finally do not let digiscoping interfering with your bird watching. Also yesterday I had two long tailed tits displaying beautifully on a gorse bush. I was so keen to get a photograph that by the time I had got my camera on the scope they had gone!! I wish now I had just enjoyed the view and had the pictures in my head!!! Digiscoping is just an aid not a be all and end all...............

Thanks for re-kindling this thread.

Its been nearly 3 months since my initial question, and i must admit ive enjoyed some good moments digi-scoping. I have started to build up a nice collection of pictures im pretty happy with.

Thanks for all suggestions.

And yes, Mick, I agree, it is sooo easy to allow digi-scoping to interfere with the actual simplicity, and joy of bird watching.

Thanks again everyone........... :t:

tracker

Mick and Tracker,you are so right re the fact that digiscoping can take over from actual birdwatching.every so often I go off on my bike with just the binoculars,I make a point of not taking a camera.I find it very relaxing,having said that ,it is Sods Law,that you will miss an excellent photo opportunity.A Greenshank came right underneath the window in the hide.The first one I had ever seen at such close quarters,and most likely the last.!!

And 'sods law' follows me around too often, Christine. It does add a very hard choice to the equation now, when you go birding, whether to take your digi-scoping equipment with you or not. Sorry you missed the Greenshank too. They are a gorgeous bird.

tracker

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Zeiss adaptor. That I hope will easily enable me to swing my camera out of the way so I can use my scope.

Problem is the high cost around £200 and the extra weight!! I am able to try it out for 14days before its definatly mine, so I will be giving it a real tryout!! Hopefully this is the answer to that dilemma!!

tracker said:
And 'sods law' follows me around too often, Christine. It does add a very hard choice to the equation now, when you go birding, whether to take your digi-scoping equipment with you or not. Sorry you missed the Greenshank too. They are a gorgeous bird.

tracker

Yes, for all the Zeiss users out there, please let us know! I think many of us are interested, but haven't wanted to be the first to take the plunge and test it.

GR

Sawrovski 65 vs 80

Any regrets on the Swarovski 65? Most users have the 80 HD. For me, I had to draw the line somewhere. In any case, a big step up from a Bushnell Spacemaster.

Do you have a web site for your pictures? So I can compare with my first time results with 65 HS scope.

Thanks

Dawn Balmer said:
Tracker

I also use a Swarovski 65 and CP4500. The other bit of basic equipment is an adapter to attach the camera to the eyepiece of the scope. I've been using the London Camera Exchange adapter and I'm very happy with it. Give Trevor Codlin a call at LCE on 01962 866203. He's very helpful and got me sorted out.

I also changed the settings on the camera, largely following Andy Bright's setup and have had some very pleasing results. Close birds and bright sunny days for digiscoping will also help!

Good luck and have lots of fun

Dawn Balmer

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back