• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need help! (1 Viewer)

Jonnyblayze

United States
I have what im pretty sure is a house sparrow that gets left behind everynight when the rest go off to "go to bed". She gets into a little house i made for them st night and curls up. The house is covered , elevated , and in some shrubs. It is positively secured but the way it is made it doesnt really block alot of wind and surley doesnt provide any real warmth. Its starting to hit winter where im at and is getting rainy and getting to be real cold at night. What can i do/put in there for her so she does not freeze? Please help me, ive grown quite attached and it would devestate me to see the little girl die from exposure or something i could have prevented. Thankyou all. Please help me.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Remember that birds generally roost in shrubs, bushes and trees so don’t require help from humans. Clearly the sparrow is happy in the house so I would leave well alone.

Hi Jonny and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Birds, generally, will not enter any box or other area that does not seem safe and secure to them. So I think you should just leave things be, as trying to interfere now may put her of using the roost altogether. You never know, when times get really tough and the hard weather hits, some friends may join her.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Jonny and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Birds, generally, will not enter any box or other area that does not seem safe and secure to them. So I think you should just leave things be, as trying to interfere now may put her of using the roost altogether. You never know, when times get really tough and the hard weather hits, some friends may join her.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Well, i made her a nest out of cotton, twine, and grass clippings and she loves it. The only purpose i wanted was to keep her warm. Looks like it worked.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Remember that birds generally roost in shrubs, bushes and trees so don’t require help from humans. Clearly the sparrow is happy in the house so I would leave well alone.
I made her a nest out of cotton, twine and grass clippings she loves it. I just wanted to help keep her warm, mission accomplished

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back