• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon MC-EU1 remote (1 Viewer)

peteh

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good place to buy one of these remotes from?
(The cheapest ive seen is on ebay at 54 pound + 20 pound shipping!!! from the USA.)

Thanks
Pete.

That's still cheaper than anything I have seen for a new one... though if customs & excise intercept it, you could end up with a total bill approaching that of one from a U.K. shop
Andy

Hello Pete - I would agree with Andy about eBay. I myself have been very happy with the Digisnap 2000. You can see these at their website at: www.harbortronics.com
I use it on my 990 but the have them for the other Nikon models.

Good luck,
Mike

The Nikon MC-EU1 remote sure does have a bad reputation doesn’t it.

I myself use it all the time and blame the unreliability issues on the fact that it falls out when you carry the whole set-up around. If you can fix it in somehow it seems ok to me (touch wood) this is an issue I had with the 995. The design of the port on the 4500 seems to hold it in better and I have had no problems with it yet, I’ve been using it for a year and its shown no sign of packing up (will it ever work again now I’ve said that?).

I think the E-bay prise is as good as it gets.

Rich

I'd agree with Redwing about the MC-EU1 on the 995. Mine packed up within 48 hours due to it constantly working loose from the port. Luckily I got my money back.

Since then, I've been using the Eagleeye bracket and a cable release - the low-tech solution works fine for me.

I use the Eagleeye shutter release arm & a standard release cable ,certainly cheaper than the Nikon remote unit & more reliable.The thing about the nikon unit that put me off was it needs a while to wake up before you can use it (missed shots etc).

I use a Jessops shutter release bracket and a cable release (totalled under £25), and find them supirior to a friend who has the remote thingy, i had a few shots of birds, before he even had it ready. Speed is of the essence when photographing some birds and I would not be able to wait long enough to use the remote.

Good price Peteee :t:

There is no doubt that I am in a minority, and maybe its because I persevered with it having paid out the extra cash, but I really like the Nikon Remote. I have tried the Jessops bracket after some problems with the MC-EUL and the 995, not only did I have more problems with the jessops set-up, the MC-EUL issues I had are mostly ironed out with the 4500.

I found the jessops bracket irritating to set up, in that the cable release would not stay in the hole. After forcing it in I had worn the thread a little, making it worse, when carrying the set-up around I found it dislodged slightly so that when I went to take the shot it had moved, and was not lined up over the button anymore. I missed several shots this way. Not just this, but you have to remove the whole assembly to change the battery, obviously not a problem if you use the power pack, but then reassembling takes time and shots are missed. I expect you can buy a longer cable release, but the way I shoot involves panning with the scope with my left hand, shooting and focusing in the right hand, the cable was not long enough for me to hold it in my hand and focus at the same time. I used this set-up for a week then chucked it in a draw and haven’t gone back to it.

Re: the time it takes to boot the camera up, maybe three seconds. I tend to walk around with the whole set up on my shoulder. I have the camera set to “auto off” after a few minutes. If I see a bird I may want to photograph, the first thing I do is take the scope/camera off my shoulder and press the button. By the time I have opened the tripod legs and pointed the scope in the right direction, the camera is ready to fire and I have lost no time at all. You can also zoom in and out to adjust the shot a little via the remote MC-EUL; this can be a useful feature for minor adjustments since you are bound to move the camera if you do it manually.

As I say most Digiscopers seem to hold to opposite opinion, but I have certainly got my moneys worth out of it.

Rich

Thanks redwing,
It came today so I went out and got some pictures of a Short Eared Owl, I am very impressed by the remote, I dont know how I got any shots in focus before without it. ( Especially with my shakey hands!)
Thanks again
Pete.

Well after all the nice things I said about it my Remote release has packed up on me now too.
I thought it was just the battery at first so bought a replacement, it appeared to work for a few minutes then died.
I have since reverted to the Jessops bracket and have used it to take most of my resent photos.
I have overcome the problems I had before; it still annoys me that I have to remove it to change the battery, though.

Typical!!! :)

I bought the Jessops cable release bracket & found the same thing with it blocking the battery compartment flap.In the end I stuck it a draw forgot about it & bought the wing mount ,with the shutter release arm from Eagleeye problem solved it does not block the battery compartment at all.Hope this info helps.

Thanks Stevo
I may end up buying the Eagle eye battery pack at some point, which is another way around this I think. Plus its a useful piece of kit buy the sounds of it.

Rich

I use the Nikon remote release regularly. The 'wakeup' time is a little annoying but otherwise I find it works OK. When using with the x3 teleconverter, having the zoom control on the unit is also very useful.

Although I now have the dual force pro battery pack, I'd previously trimmed off all the excess metalwork on the underside of the jessops c-r-b..... then I could just slacken the screw holding it to the camera and rotate the c-r-b so I could change the batteries. Not perfect, but at least it didn't involve the total removal of the bracket.... as I said, it's not relevant anymore.
Andy

Hi my 2 cents worth, I have used the Nikon remote for one year now, I find, that at times the whole system freezes no matter what I do until I shut down the camera and switch it on again.
Below freezing temp outdoors it just dies if left in the open cold air.
Yes the remote has some nice features and I use it with my CP5000 with no fall out at the jack, but now I have build my own manual release bracket and a one meter long release I had used years ago and no more problems :)
Now i Have a Can$ 169.00 remote device collecting dust.
I also build my own Gell Cell power system with a home build voltage regulator to give me 8.4 volts under load and cable using a 3 Amphour battery that gives me over 24 hour constant lcd on and camera on capabilities. the voltage regulator is in a minibox with a jack and spade connectors that fits any size of led acid sealed gell cells of 12 volts DC...
my birding is done stationary, but the battery setup fits nicely in my camera bag.
cheers
Walther
www.walther-loff.com
p.s. I am a amateur radio operator since age 14 (1945) and a retired machinist/millwright

Hi
I have been using the Nikon remote release for two weeks it has not come loose from its port (Nikon 4500) but it has this habit of freezing after you have fired of a few shots has anyone an explanation for this, the ability to zoom remotly is a usefull tool,I tend to press the the button as I put the camera to the scope to overcome the time lag.
gallus

I tried it out for about a half hour on my CP4500. It's cumbersome (but maybe you get used to that) and mine stuck repeatedly in the ON position, banging off shots constantly. It was hopeless.

I'll give it another go but whatever the opposite of "confidence" is, it fills me with it.

I've gone back to just pressing the button on the camera as gently as I can and praying for good light. Wondering if I should try the American one.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back