• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Appropriate head for this mother of a spotting scope (1 Viewer)

canoetrpr

A two year older version of myself convinced himself that this unwieldy spotting scope would be the ticket; until I saved up for the Swaro 65mm I wanted. Figured I would compensate for the less than alpha optics with a 100mm objective.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-20-60x100-spotting-scope.html

Forget the model of the Manfrotto tripod I'm using but it is quite decent (190XB or 055XPROB) - matched to the weight of the scope.

Unfortunately I'm using a head probably designed for a point and shoot based on some very poor advice I got at the store I bought the tripod at.

From some sources it seems like the 700RC2 from Manfrotto will be the right ticket with a future 65mm Swaro scope but it is right at capacity (5.5lb) for the Konus (5.3lb).

Any thoughts if this could be an appropriate head to use with the Konus or if I need something heavier? I was thinking the 500AH or 128RC?

I'd appreciate your help very much.

From those two choices definitely the 500 not the 128. much more rugged and the lock on the plate is more dependable.
Steve

take a look also at the gitzo 2380 head , i have one for my 65mm scope and its rock solid.

But the 190 manfrotto tripod is maybe a little to light for this head , also for the 500AH head its to light .

hi, first post here from me
regarding a tripod head, maybe try a manfrotto 393 head
I use this on my opticron es100 scope, the weight of the scope is heavy at nearly 3kgs!!!, plus the weight of the canon 60d
but with the rail I can actually adjust and balance the scope real nice, I do occasionally have a look at the moon with the scope etc, and again a slight adjust on the tripod head is fine
so far I haven't had no problems with the weight etc. and the price is pretty realistic as well
hope that helps

regards...k

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back