• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tripod head for spotting scope? (2 Viewers)

why am I not going far with that setup may I ask and how far is not far..?
I'm guessing you are not a birder as mobility is a requirement for most and that gimbal head, balance rail (why?) and a total weight of around 8 kg would be a handicap in the field.
As one member in another thread pointed out, your ostentatious display of expensive products (as in your signature) without any constructive contribution is rather tiresome.

...if one pulls the locking lever directly away from the head it will extend out to where one can adjust the tension. Worked like a charm. My VH-10X works the same way.
Ahh, why I didn't think that; my Berlebach UNI tripod has same mechanism in each leg locking levers...Thank you very much for the tip!

That leaves my Sirui VH-10X with just one mechanical fault, which is the jamming click stop mechanism.

Regards, Juhani

why am I not going far with that setup may I ask and how far is not far..?

Excessive (and useless) weight is just one aspect, as mentioned elsewhere. Lack of stability of this setup is even more important.

Tripods and their accessories should improve stability (=lack of motion).

Flexibility is opposite to stability

With the resistance against deflection under load in each cross section of a structural element being constant, deformation increases (more or less) proportionally to the length of this structure under the same load.

Therefore leaf springs must extend longitudinally better to deform elastically.

Or, if you aim at the opposite, a stable setup (like a tripod): Keep things as short as possible.

Your setup however, BulbMogul, in all its complicated dimensional extension must definitively behave like a (somehow) folded leaf spring.

HW

For my Meopta Meostar S2 HD 80mm scope, I use a ProMediaGear Katana Jr gimbal head. I've seen creditable knock-offs by Benro and Leofoto, but they are not that much cheaper.

For my 50mm Opticron MM4, I recently got a Manfrotto Befree 3Way fluid head, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it in the field yet. The panning control is inadequate, however, so most likely it will go back.

Last edited:
For my scope I use a Sirui L-10 pan head that weighs only 11.6 ounces and functions perfectly. Very stable and very easy to adjust the tension and no need for the added complexity or expense of a tilt function. It comes with a Arca-Swiss compatible clamping mechanism and a Arca-Swiss plate. It works equally well on a monopod for heavy binoculars. With its Arca-Swiss clamp and I put a compatible $20 rail on the foot of the scope.

I avoid scope only tripods and prefer to have tripods and heads that I can use for my cameras and lenses and binoculars as well as my scope. I avoid tripod legs that have a lot of flex and do not trust the manufacturers' load capacity specs which are usually greatly overstated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back