• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tripod head for spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

BoldenEagle

Finland
I currently have Sirui VH-10X head which is quite good. Anyway it has developed some problems as the click stop mechanism is jammin every time I put my scope (Kowa 883) on it and also the locking mechanims isn't 100% tight as the plate slides away from the balance point if I carry the tripod on my shoulder scope attached. Panning action is very smooth, best I have used, but the vertical movement isn't equally good. The handle is bit too long for my taste even in it's shortest length.

Are there any heads that are as smooth as Sirui (or even better of course) but are also otherwise high quality mechanically? Berlebach maybe? Weight and price are not issues.

Regards, Juhani

Last edited:
I currently have Sirui VH-10X head which is quite good. Anyway it has developed some problems as the click stop mechanism is jammin every time I put my scope (Kowa 883) on it and also the locking mechanims isn't 100% tight as the plate slides away from the balance point if I carry the tripod on my shoulder scope attached. Panning action is very smooth, best I have used, but the vertical movement isn't equally good. The handle is bit too long for my taste even in it's shortest lenght.

Are there any heads that are as smooth as Sirui (or even better of course) but are also otherwise high quality mechanically? Berlebach maybe? Weight and price are not issues.

Regards, Juhani
Hi
I have a Sirui VH-10 fluid head (not your VH-10X) and I use with Oberwerk BT 70-45 angled binocular and am satisfied.
I agree with your considerations concerning the pan and the tilt movement and the handle which is a bit too long also for me in my earlier VH-10.
A friend of mine has a Manfrotto MVH500AH for her Kowa TSN-884 and she's satisfied with it.
I also have older big heads: the Manfrotto #136, the Gitzo G2380 and a Velbon FHD-71Q. These items now are dated and discontinued but except for some issues I have had over the years with the movements become sticky and with the need to re-grease them, the Manfrotto #136 and the Gitzo G2380 are excellent, super stable heads as well as are somewhat heavy: the old Manfrotto #136 regreased is a joy to use. The Velbon FHD-71Q is of a bit lower build quality and the fluid movement tends to be a bit too stiff. I have used these video heads in turn over the years with my Nikon ED82A and a Berlebach Report 3022 wooden tripod.
I also had the Manfrotto 701HDV and the Gitzo GHF2W video heads, both being very smooth, smaller and lighter but also less rigid IMO.

Last edited:
I currently have Sirui VH-10X head which is quite good. Anyway it has developed some problems as the click stop mechanism is jammin every time I put my scope (Kowa 883) on it and also the locking mechanims isn't 100% tight as the plate slides away from the balance point if I carry the tripod on my shoulder scope attached. Panning action is very smooth, best I have used, but the vertical movement isn't equally good. The handle is bit too long for my taste even in it's shortest length.

Regards, Juhani
I have two BERLEBACH heads, a PEGASUS and a 510. Both are mechanically top range, I daresay. They are not technically fluid heads but work similarily and very well with scopes. The 510 is my standard head on a GITZO Systematic (3rd. Gen.) tripod with my KOWA 883 scope.
BTW: BERLEBACH has a superior support behavior.

Juhani,

The Berlebach heads don't have proper fluid drag although they are otherwise excellent. The Gitzo 2380 is solid, has pretty good fluid drag, but lacks a counterbalance spring. I used one for years before getting the Sirui VH10 which I still use. My Sirui has excellent tilt, but pan drag while perfect in the fall and spring, is too light when temperatures are summery. I have been on a search for the perfect head (which should exist as this is not rocket science) but have not found one yet. The Sirui BCH 10 head for bowl attachment seems nice, but is a bit heavy at 1,8 kg and does not work with my centre column that has the usual thread attachment. VH 15 is better than VH 10, but at 1,7 kg is a bit heavy too.

Tell us if you find something.

- Kimmo

I too have a couple of Berlebach heads, a 510 and an old 552 (predecessor of the 553). The 510 lacks a counterbalance, which on my Novoflex TrioPod is not a great problem as all three legs are padded. If the scope tips it will not suffer any damage. Pan and tilt can be locked simultaneously and the 510 will secure my Kowa 883 at high tilt angles without creep.
A Manfrotto 128LP to which I had attached a Berlebach QR coupling was incapable of doing this and was heavier and less stable. Its fluidity in pan and tilt did not compensate for these shortcomings.
The Berlebach 553 is IMO an ideal head for a birding scope. As with the 510 it has adjustable tilt friction, but in addition has a counterbalance and comes as standard with a larger and more substantial QR coupling and still only weighs 830 g.
Another BF member I know has a Sirui VA-5. It's OK for the price but as regards quality is not in the same category as the Berlebachs.

John

Hi
I have a Sirui VH-10 fluid head (not your VH-10X) and I use with Oberwerk BT 70-45 angled binocular and am satisfied.
I agree with your considerations concerning the pan and the tilt movement and the handle which is a bit too long also for me in my earlier VH-10.
A friend of mine has a Manfrotto MVH500AH for her Kowa TSN-884 and she's satisfied with it.
I also have older big heads: the Manfrotto #136, the Gitzo G2380 and a Velbon FHD-71Q. These items now are dated and discontinued but except for some issues I have had over the years with the movements become sticky and with the need to re-grease them, the Manfrotto #136 and the Gitzo G2380 are excellent, super stable heads as well as are somewhat heavy: the old Manfrotto #136 regreased is a joy to use. The Velbon FHD-71Q is of a bit lower build quality and the fluid movement tends to be a bit too stiff. I have used these video heads in turn over the years with my Nikon ED82A and a Berlebach Report 3022 wooden tripod.
I also had the Manfrotto 701HDV and the Gitzo GHF2W video heads, both being very smooth, smaller and lighter but also less rigid IMO.

I have had Gitzo G2380 head also, it was very good quality but not as smooth panning as Sirui VH-10X and it was lacking counterbalance spring. I remember it had perfect locking mechanism as I digiscoped a lot with it and once you got the target into scope, there was not even smallest movement as tightening the screws and target stayed dead center. I sort of borrowed it to my friend and basically still have it.

I currently have Gitzo GHF2W head as a lighter option to be used with carbon tripod for longer treks. Its quite good also as it has the counterbalance spring and handle length can be properly adjusted short enough. Panning is maybe not as smooth as G2380 not to mention VH-10X.

I have had some Manfrotto heads, latest was the MVH502AH if I remember correct. It had somewhat sloppy mechanics and I didn't like it much.

Regards, Juhani

The Berlebach heads don't have proper fluid drag although they are otherwise excellent. The Gitzo 2380 is solid, has pretty good fluid drag, but lacks a counterbalance spring. I used one for years before getting the Sirui VH10 which I still use. My Sirui has excellent tilt, but pan drag while perfect in the fall and spring, is too light when temperatures are summery. I have been on a search for the perfect head (which should exist as this is not rocket science) but have not found one yet. The Sirui BCH 10 head for bowl attachment seems nice, but is a bit heavy at 1,8 kg and does not work with my centre column that has the usual thread attachment. VH 15 is better than VH 10, but at 1,7 kg is a bit heavy too.

Tell us if you find something.

I have also noticed temperature effects on panning when using the VH-10X, I always use the level 3 for the pan friction. Sometimes it feels that warm temperature makes panning also less smooth, as if little sticky. I remember first time using VH-10X and was surprised what difference it made; it's was so much easier to pick for example spring migrating pink-footed geese from distant bean goose flocks as panning was so smooth.

I might try the VH-15, I don't mind the extra weight.

Regards, Juhani

Last edited:
I have two BERLEBACH heads, a PEGASUS and a 510. Both are mechanically top range, I daresay. They are not technically fluid heads but work similarily and very well with scopes. The 510 is my standard head on a GITZO Systematic (3rd. Gen.) tripod with my KOWA 883 scope.
BTW: BERLEBACH has a superior support behavior.

It's good to know Berlebach has good support as I have UNI 19C tripod. Not that I would expect to run into problems as it's mechanic structure seems absolutely great. It is a joy to use also, very functional and precise, not to mention extremely stable even in windy conditions.

Regards, Juhani

I too have a couple of Berlebach heads, a 510 and an old 552 (predecessor of the 553). The 510 lacks a counterbalance, which on my Novoflex TrioPod is not a great problem as all three legs are padded. If the scope tips it will not suffer any damage. Pan and tilt can be locked simultaneously and the 510 will secure my Kowa 883 at high tilt angles without creep.
A Manfrotto 128LP to which I had attached a Berlebach QR coupling was incapable of doing this and was heavier and less stable. Its fluidity in pan and tilt did not compensate for these shortcomings.
The Berlebach 553 is IMO an ideal head for a birding scope. As with the 510 it has adjustable tilt friction, but in addition has a counterbalance and comes as standard with a larger and more substantial QR coupling and still only weighs 830 g.
Another BF member I know has a Sirui VA-5. It's OK for the price but as regards quality is not in the same category as the Berlebachs.

I might try the Berlebach 553 head if I can find it somewhere; I don't remenber seeing one (or any other Berlebach heads, their wooden tripods are far more common here in Finland).

Regards, Juhani

I might try the Berlebach 553 head if I can find it somewhere; I don't remenber seeing one (or any other Berlebach heads, their wooden tripods are far more common here in Finland).

Regards, Juhani
Well, you can order directly and in my experience orders go out within 24 h.
There is an option of a short panning lever on the 553. My Kowa 883 balances well on the standard 57 mm QR plate, but be sure to order the plate with a 3/8" screw!

Best,
John

Just a quick thought: I'm surprised Sachtler isn't mentioned more often on this forum. Both their video heads and their tripods are excellent, albeit pretty heavy and (very) expensive.

Hermann

I typically use a cheap one piece tripod, as my 65mm scope is not that heavy. But one leg broke off and I could not find that tripod on line anymore. So back to a 20 year old Manfrotto tripod and standard panning manfrotto head. I got it at Amazon as shipping was free. But I would not rate it as smooth. My main criterion is just that the scope stays put once I am in position to look at a bird. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553886-REG/Manfrotto_128RC_128RC_QR_Micro_Fluid.html

Just a quick thought: I'm surprised Sachtler isn't mentioned more often on this forum. Both their video heads and their tripods are excellent, albeit pretty heavy and (very) expensive.

Hermann
Never heard about Sachtler, thanks.

Can you recommend any particular Sachtler model? Are there some that could be attached directly to Berlebach UNI 19C tripod? At quick glance they seem to have many with non-compatible connection.

Regards, Juhani

Hi Juhani, I can't give any recommendations on particular Sachtler models. I've seen a handful of tripods and heads in the field but they were all older models, still working beautifully after years in the field. Very stable tripods and very smooth video heads.

Sachtler have got quite a few different tripods and heads, they are mainly used for video work and also by some photographers, for instance B.Rörslett. They had a model made specifically for use with terrestrial telescopes some 30 years ago.

Hermann

I prefer a Gitzo 5543 LS Tripod and a Wimberly Mk2 Gimbal Head..

I have never even tried this type of gimbal head. Compared to "common" video heads, do you think there are some advantages using one?

I know some use also video heads without handle but I'm so used to it that it would be very akward for me to go without.

Regards, Juhani

Regards, Juhani

Ranger series (level - Leofoto Their models are getting popular among bird photographers and birders in my place and Singapore too. Comes with 10 years warranty etc and I have tested it briefly. The result were decent.

the locking mechanims isn't 100% tight as the plate slides away from the balance point if I carry the tripod on my shoulder scope attached.
I’m a huge fan of the VH-10X. As far as the plate locking mechanism - I had this same slippage issue on a Sirui VA-5 until I figured out that if one pulls the locking lever directly away from the head it will extend out to where one can adjust the tension. Worked like a charm. My VH-10X works the same way.

Hi,

the de-facto standard for 80mm scopes, the Manfrotto 500AH has not been mentioned yet... so I will do it.

My very old example still performs flawlessly - very smooth when properly adjusted. Some people find the handle to be too long - not on my example as the former owner had performed some hacksaw surgery already...

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back