• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting a Cedar Waxwing? (1 Viewer)

80pages

Hi there, I live in Central WI, US. I have a pair of Cedar Waxwings that sit way up in my tree, every evening and sing. I've managed to get some far away photos of them, but never any up close. I want to know how to attract then more into my yard so I can see them better!

I know they eat berries. I rent my house and don't have any berry bushes in my yard, and I can't plant any. Is there a different way I can attract them?

New at this - thanks for your help.

it might be one hell of a waste of money but you could buy berries and set them out in a feeder maybe? A table like feeder may work better? Stupid huh?

Or buy a berry bush and instead of planting it in the ground just keep it in the pot it comes in and just water and fertilize it so it doesn't die? Just throwing stuff out there.

Let me know if I sound like a fool, its late and I'm exhausted

Thank you to both of you. I will try the sliced apples, and perhaps the berries (if I can muster up some cash!)

C. Waxwings are notorious for staying high in the canopy. I have had them come down to a birdbath before though. Your best bet is to plant the berrying trees & bushes they love :

American Holly
Elderberry
Hackberry
Viburnum
Highbush Blueberry
American Mountain Ash
Chokeberry

this will also attract Orioles,Catbirds,Mockingbirds and assorted Thrush species !

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back