• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants in south west England (Bath area) (1 Viewer)

Uncle_Monty

United Kingdom
I grew up in Bath during the 80s, around Batheaston and Bathampton. I don't remember ever seeing a cormorant at any time during my childhood. I moved back to Bath a couple of years ago, and now they are absolutely everywhere. I see them in multiples every time I walk the river in Batheaston or the canal in Bathampton. Does anyone know why this might be? Has there been a breeding/release programme in the area? I've noticed an increase in water birds in general. Seeing a heron or a kingfisher was notable when I was growing up, I now see both at least weekly. And there is now a huge flock of hundreds of Canada geese that descends on Bathampton meadows at this time of year. It's a stark contrast to the noticeable decline in songbirds, and the huge flocks of starlings that used to fill the sky of an evening, and the dozens of nesting pairs of corvids that used to wake me up every morning, both of which have completely gone. It's an interesting juxtaposition.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It‘s an interesting observation about the bird life.

I grew up in Bath during the 80s, around Batheaston and Bathampton. I don't remember ever seeing a cormorant at any time during my childhood. I moved back to Bath a couple of years ago, and now they are absolutely everywhere. I see them in multiples every time I walk the river in Batheaston or the canal in Bathampton. Does anyone know why this might be? Has there been a breeding/release programme in the area?
No there isn't a release programme for Cormorants, rather the opposite with persecution in some places.

In the last 40 years there has been a movement of Cormorants to inland sites away from the coast. One possible theory is the decline in industrial pollution of inland waterways.

This movement has met with opposition, especially from anglers, with illegal persecution and calls for a cull.

In the last 40 years there has been a movement of Cormorants to inland sites away from the coast. One possible theory is the decline in industrial pollution of inland waterways.

This movement has met with opposition, especially from anglers, with illegal persecution and calls for a cull.
Thanks for the info.

A bunch of hobbyists potentially culling birds just so they can hook an extra fish is not something I was expecting to be angry about today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back