• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using Flash Units with Telephoto Lens (1 Viewer)

onlybill

I need some basic information on the use of an external flash/telephoto lens to take bird photos on cloudy days, to bring out feather detail, etc. I use a Sony A-700 and was thinking of purchasing a Sony HVL-F56AM Flash, which should be good to 40 feet or so. It also can be fired remotely, and at high shutter speeds. I also use a Tamron 200-500mm. I know that the flash position is important, as to not have the long lens cast a shadow, etc, but
the specs of the flash always refer to much shorter focal lengths. I need some basic info from photographers who use flash units to photo birds

Hi, onlybill

I'm from Houston as well, and I suggest you look at www.birdsasart.com the website for Arthur Morris a well know US bird photographer from Florida. Both his book Birds As Art(out of print) and its revision, an e-book on CD Birds As Art II cover this subject. Also check out http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/index.php I'm sure you will find more info on using flash there.

I shoot with a Canon system, but use an external flash and flash extender for many of my bird photographs, see my pbase site for examples. I frequently shoot using fill flash at a fixed shutter speed 1/250 sec. and let camera control aperture and -2/3 to -1 flash compensation.

Hope this helps,

Dick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back