• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader - Kent 27.07.14 (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hi all,

This wader was amongst the Blackwits and Redshanks at Oare, Kent today. There were a good few Ruff around, but this just didn't seem right for Ruff. I attach the best pics I could get (which aren't great) including a wider picture for size comparison. Dark bill and apparently dark legs. The only thing I've done to the pics is crop.

Many thanks,

Andy M

Attachments

• Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (1).JPG
    Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (1).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (2).JPG
    Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (2).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 168
  • Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (7).JPG
    Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (7).JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (3).JPG
    Wader for ID 20140727 Oare (3).JPG
    429 KB · Views: 180
Ho no Mapke, pp much too long. If I'm wrong, Omar is right (well, I don't have knot in Uganda and tend to forget that dull wader... :eat: ).

Wow. Redshank, Knot and Ruff... I know they're not the best pictures (taken at distance with my Canon SX50), but I had ruled out Redshank and was half-expecting it to be a Ruff (despite the 10 other Ruff which were about not really bearing much resmblance to this bird), but I have been doing this for nearly 30 years, so it just struck me as a wee bit different.

The bill seemed too long for Knot and there seemed to be even more against it for Redshank; no colour in bill, dark legs, quite a plump bird and the markings all put me off Redshank (of which there were plenty of course).

Ho no Mapke, pp much too long. If I'm wrong, Omar is right (well, I don't have knot in Uganda and tend to forget that dull wader... :eat: ).

I can't see pp at all but after another look I tend to agree with you in Common Redshank. At first underparts looked unpatterned but maybe it is just the image quality.

It would be extremelty early date for a juv Knot, wouldn't it? An same for winter plumaged bird. Maybe some odd 2cy Knot could look like that plumage wise.

Ruff. #3 shows the classic small headed / bulky body look. Red Knot are never that brown in any plumage and wouldn't show a distinctly, and sharply demarked breast. None of the photos show any sign of a red base to the bill while #3 shows pale ( yellowish? ) legs ruling out Common Redshank.

Much better birders than myself have commented on this thread so far but fwiw, this looks like a juv Redshank to me.

On pic#3 the bill looks short also for Redshank, plain belly, breast and faint contrast with back, with no a hint of redish hue rule out juv Redshank IMO. it is a winter plumage Knot

Also, two birds spotted in last pic , the one beneath the Starling edit: white rump and dark crown good for redshank for this one

Omar

Last edited:
On balance I'd go for Redshank - the legs do appear greenish and the bill a little dull, but this might be explained by a variety of factors. It'd be a greater stretch to turn it into something else.

It would be far more sensible to keep out of this, but I think Richard is onto something. As the OP noted , it had dark legs in the field. In pic 3 it appears to have a 2-tone bill (that is slightly upturned in pic 2, and fore-shortened!). Bill colour is hard to judge accurately but appears dirty pink-grey at the base, darker towards the tip.
I was favouring Redshank to begin with but the overall plumage tone looks better for Blackwit on balance. The apparent small size was slightly problematic to begin with , but front-on waders often appear smaller, and lets not forget that smaller individuals do occur, as do those with shorter than average bills. The small head to body ratio also looks better to me for a godwit than a Redshank.

Last edited:
One more to support the last two posts. What I thought since I started to look at the other birds on the picture.
The head is too small for Redshank, and there is a hint of black primaries in addition to what is mentioned above.

Peter

It would be far more sensible to keep out of this, but I think Richard is onto something. As the OP noted , it had dark legs in the field. In pic 3 it appears to have a 2-tone bill (that is slightly upturned in pic 2, and fore-shortened!). Bill colour is hard to judge accurately but appears dirty pink-grey at the base, darker towards the tip.
I was favouring Redshank to begin with but the overall plumage tone looks better for Blackwit on balance. The apparent small size was slightly problematic to begin with , but front-on waders often appear smaller, and lets not forget that smaller individuals do occur, as do those with shorter than average bills. The small head to body ratio also looks better to me for a godwit than a Redshank.

despite the plumge, the bill looks too short, colorless, and thin baise compaierd to next winter plumge BG on the left in pic#4 and legs seem short and knees are close to warer surface than others BG in uniform flock, more obviously in pic#2, how could that be?

Omar

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back