• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader near Warsaw, Poland (August 2021); description only (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
At that time I didn't expect to see a wader, let alone a redshank in one of a complex of fishponds I had regularly visited. All the same, it would be a nice tick for that spot, so here is my oh-so-uninformed comment from back then quoted in full:
I noticed a buff bird in the reeds about the size of a pigeon; it had rather bright orange legs, a long bill, and black speckles on its breast and belly (maybe on other body parts as well).
Enough for a Common Redshank? A Spotted Redshank would have more beige-greyish spots, and should've appeared more greyish, not buff, overall. The size and length are--admittedly--very subjective (as is the exact border between the breast and belly), but I wouldn't be inclined to suppose it was a Ruff?

Last edited:
Hello,

when you identified the bird as a Common Redshank, then it was one. You know, I trust observers ID much more.

Normally I would end here, (and you might well end here, too) but as you asked: I agree with Butty, your description of a buff wader with black speckles on the breast and belly made me think of an Ruff. Its the wader, that can appear quite uniform and nondescript at a distance (when the chequered upperparts are worn of, resulting in uniform darkish upperparts), but the black spots on underparts stands out.

No offence you know, and I assume that you would leave this bird unidentified anyway.

I was only able to try to identify it in hindsight based on the comments collected in the field, so it's a bit tricky in this case. I did, however, have very close views of this bird--10 metres, perhaps--because it flushed right in front of me.
My understanding of 'buff' was light brown without such a prominent yellowish component as is shown on most pictures. I had thought tan was the yellowish hue of brown. (Actually, it's the other way round.)

Even if the scalloping was visible, I don't think I would've known that it was important and included it in my notes, but it should've made the upperparts look darker than light brown. I jotted down the bird's characteristics right after the sighting, so I can only hope 'black speckles' weren't 'dark splodges', although after a Common Sandpiper in quick flight has more recently made me think of a swift, I am not so sure I can trust myself wrt accuracy (and my tendency to wax poetic in bird descriptions). Part of the issue also depends on how long was 'a long bill' to me at the time. My own judgment is now skewed--perhaps--because I would gladly exclude one alternative or the other.

Last edited:
I would say warm tone to the brown, brown 'all over' (that is no contrasting white belly) and black speckles on the breast fit Ruff better than Redshank. But it is not identifable with certainity - even a juvenile Water Rail or a juvenile Shoveler (!) could be matched to such a description.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back