• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dominican Republic (1 Viewer)

Malachi1

I recently returned from The Dominican Republic. It was an amazing trip filled with plenty of fauna. Most of the birds I saw whilst there were considerably easier to identify than I had first imagined. However despite the range of bird photographs online and bird books I brang with me, I was unable to identify several birds and lots of anoles. I was hoping some one had knowledge on Hispaniolian birds or atleast Caribbean birds and could help me out with the folloiwng. The grey and yellow warbler like bird was present in 'The indigenous Eyes Ecological Park, Punta Cana' above a clear water lagoon. The Sandpiper was located on a locals beach in Samana Bay.

I can't describe behaviour much as the warbler like bird was in forest like mangrove area and only briefly showed. The sandpiper photographs describe its behaviour well enough. Could it be a Semipalmated Sandpiper?

I added the other two birds to clarify my opinion, however I believe the large crowned Tern is a Royal Tern. I am unsure whether the other yellow legged wader is a Lesser or Greater Yellowlegs. Both were in the Los Haitises National Reserve around small islands.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Many Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 425.JPG
    425.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 575.JPG
    575.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 576.JPG
    576.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 854.JPG
    854.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 756.JPG
    756.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 96
Jon I think 5 is green heron. The black primaries are mostly shadows (note feet colour, head / neck colour). Agree royal tern

further images

Firstly thank you for the replies. I assume Royal Tern was the right assumption then, glad to know it was another one of the many first's for me. I have added some other photos of the other wader in question.

Any ideas on the sandpiper and grey and yellow bird???

Attachments

• 757.JPG
    757.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 66
  • 758.JPG
    758.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 56
I would guess it is a Green Heron then... looking at pictures online it appears a promising bet, I hadn't thought it as it looks so much more different in flight than the Green Heron I saw perched in the mangroves miles away in Punta Cana.

Agree on Green Heron. The warbler seems to be a Magnolia. I will leave the peep to others.

Niels

I'm on a run of poor form a the moment.... Those extra shots are so clearly Green Heron I wouldn't have fallen into the trap of the OP thinking it was a wader....

Ah well glad the others have put me out of my misery.

Agree with the other IDs so far. From the quality of the photos I'd suggest Semipalmated Sandpiper for the peep. Certainly more likely than Western, and I don't see a slender bird with enough length in the rear end to suggest White-rumped to me, though I don't claim to be a peep expert by any stretch.

Thank you for all of your replies it is nice to know my initial judgement for the Semi-Palmated and Royal Tern was not mistaken. Both were firsts for me, as were most of the birds I saw in DR. The Green Heron had not crossed my mind and truely thought it was a yellowlegs. Looking at photographs of the Magnolia Warbler it does look highly similar to my grey and yellow bird in question, is it? If so are they common in Dominican Republic or not? I ask this as I see it migrates to the caribbean and South America from northern America and Cananda so is likely. Although I never found any information regarding them when looking through books and sites on the countries birds, leading me to think they are uncommon in DR.

Take a look at eBird's bar charts. You can either look for a hotspot or a region. In this case I'd say just taking a look at all of the DR is useful. This is found by going to ebird.org, then to Explore Data, then Explore Region. I entered Dominican Republic but you can enter provinces as well. Then find the Bar Charts link:

http://ebird.org/ebird/barchart?r=DO&yr=all&m=

What eliminate Prairie for #1?

I thought about it for a bit as Prairie is more common in the Caribbean from what I know. However, to me the cap, nape, cheeks are uniformly gray and the eye ring is small and tidy which points my eye more towards Magnolia than a very drab or juvenile Prairie, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Unfortunately, we cannot see the tip of the tail to see which of the two better fits that pattern ...

In Sibley, the form of Prairie that has much grey on the head (juv female) has next to no flank stripes.

Niels

Paul, welcome to Birdforum.
I disagree with Bananaquit for no 1, I cannot make that bill fit (among other things).

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back