• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is a "tick" (1 Viewer)

As for myself, I consider I have achieved a wild bird when I see and identify it as a living creature. For that reason, I personally exclude birds I saw in my pre-birding and childhood days, even though they might be large spectacular species that I can easily name now. So if I'd accidentally photographed a bird as in the OP and identified it later, it wouldn't count. If it was a rare species, it would count as a rueful footnote and no doubt a conversation piece.

For sure, the sort of experience the OP describes is an incentive to keep on one's toes when in the field.

And I should have mentioned that seeing the missed bird and 'ticking' it later would give me at least double the satisfaction as the first one would have. Perhaps that's a personal quirk.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back