• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory FL or Ultravid (non-HD) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But if you gave a Zeiss 8x42 FL, a Swarovski 8.5 x42 EL, and a Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 to 100 people and asked them which one they preferred I would bet 80% would prefer the Zeiss. This has been confirmed again and again in all these reviews. The MAJORITY of the people thought the Zeiss FL had the best view. So the odds are that you would too!

Dennis, isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? I've read most if not all of the reviews that you speak of and I haven't got the impression that Zeiss is that superior to the other alphas, actually some reviews prefer Leica over Zeiss, and folks that vote with their dollars prefer Swaro over both. Our local sports store carries all three alphas and he sells Swaro 2:1 to Leica with Zeiss in third place. Now most hunters don't care about CA which is a strong point of the Zeiss and to a lesser degree Leica HDs, but that just goes to my point about different individuals putting greater emphasis on different attributes.

Now I know from reading your post over the years, that you are very knowledgeable and experienced about high end optics, but you seem to fall in love with a certain binocular and then turn into a zealot in believing that one binocular is the hand's down best in the world, and you just can't believe other equally qualified users can come to a different conclusion. I remember a "Leica is best, forget the rest" thread". You did post a remark a little while ago where you advised a guy that if he picked any one of the top three or four he would be happy, I agree with that sentiment. I'm only bringing this up because I was worried that Motts could take you literaly and buy the Zeiss sight unseen without comparing with his own eyes. Maybe Zeiss is best for him, maybe it isn't.

Respectfully,
John

The FL is great, the EL is great and got SO nice ergonomics that I probably have to buy one, and the Kowa Genesis got more "wow" image, not easy choices. ;)

Dennis, isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? I've read most if not all of the reviews that you speak of and I haven't got the impression that Zeiss is that superior to the other alphas, actually some reviews prefer Leica over Zeiss, and folks that vote with their dollars prefer Swaro over both. Our local sports store carries all three alphas and he sells Swaro 2:1 to Leica with Zeiss in third place. Now most hunters don't care about CA which is a strong point of the Zeiss and to a lesser degree Leica HDs, but that just goes to my point about different individuals putting greater emphasis on different attributes.

Now I know from reading your post over the years, that you are very knowledgeable and experienced about high end optics, but you seem to fall in love with a certain binocular and then turn into a zealot in believing that one binocular is the hand's down best in the world, and you just can't believe other equally qualified users can come to a different conclusion. I remember a "Leica is best, forget the rest" thread". You did post a remark a little while ago where you advised a guy that if he picked any one of the top three or four he would be happy, I agree with that sentiment. I'm only bringing this up because I was worried that Motts could take you literaly and buy the Zeiss sight unseen without comparing with his own eyes. Maybe Zeiss is best for him, maybe it isn't.

Respectfully,
John

John, I agree with you on this one, we have someone here who is very high on his own opinions, and then proclaims it as the final truth.

You know, tattoos are popular right now, I bet someone here on BF has a "Z" tattooed
on both cheeks. ;).

Butt, tune in next week, it will probably be something else!!

There are many excellent choices in the marketplace today, and I hope that
most here will realize that.

If you can, the old adage applies, try before you buy, or have a purchase with a liberal return policy.

Jerry

Last edited:
From [email protected]:

We all know that you like what you like, but.... A lot of other people have their own personal preferences, and a lot of those like Swarovski and they are not just hunters. ( by the way -hunters are not stupid gullible people who fall for what is advertised). I know a lot of birders really like the Swarovski and a # of them know what they are talking about about as far as quality.

As a matter of fact I know of AT LEAST 3 (and I am sure there are more) of the main sales people that work at Eagle Optics not only own Swarovski, but use them as their main bino. These people have worked there for years and look thru bino's all the time. They could buy any bino they wish. I sure that they are not just falling for the ADs. I know of 2 of them that are also going to get the new Swaro's when they come out.

So use what ever you like, but don't belittle others as far (hunters and others etc.) - as being gullible to Ads or falling for a "status symbol". Or saying that hunters "don't even know that Zeiss makes binoculars" Frankly that is ignorant and insulting. I would bet that the majority of the sales of the Trinovids in the past were bought by hunters.

Motts- I am really sorry about commenting about Swarovski when your thread was asking about Zeiss, but frankly I was a little upset about the above comment. I have seen this guys postings for a while about his beloved chosen Bino's and making his comments about others esp. the Swaro's and I have grown tired of them. This time I could not help myself when he made comments insulting others concerning "status" buying; and people's ignorance concerning not being in the know concerning a brand of bino.

All of these are great bino's. And isn't it great (or a curse) that we live in a world with free will and so many choices. So choose what you like and honor other people for the choices they make and their right to do so.

It sure would be boring if we were all alike and or only had 1 or 2 choices

Just my 2c.

Alot of the hunters I have hunted with seem to really prefer Swarovski EL's and the salesman at Sportmans Warehouse said they sell more Swarovski's in the high end category than anything. Alot of the people buying them do so with a preconceived notion that they are the best and I really think they perceive them as a status symbol like having a Browning shotgun. I think advertising has alot to do with it. The salesmen at Eagles Optics probably get Swarovski for cost that's why they use them. I hate Swarovski's because they monopolize the crystal industry and those are way overpriced too. I might look at the new Swarovision when it comes out. It will be along time though before you will get any discount on those babies.

Respectfully,
John

I am just trying to save him all the time it took me to come to the realization of what I think is the best binocular on the market. I don't want him to buy a Swarovski EL and then be sorry because he sees purple fringing around stuff and then starts wondering what is that. I would not buy an EL right now I would wait for the new Swarovision if I was in the market for a new binocular now. I would definitely not pay $1500.00 for a non-ED glass binocular with all the ED binoculars coming out. That is my opinion. He asked for opinions. I am sure he is not going to buy one brand of binoculars based on one persons opinion. If was in the market for a top quality binocular I would look at the Zeiss FL, the Leica Ultravid, Kowa XD, and maybe some other top binoculars but they would definitely have ED glass or I wouldn't even consider them.

"...... Alot of the people buying them do so with a preconceived notion that they are the best and I really think they perceive them as a status symbol like having a Browning shotgun. I think advertising has alot to do with it."

"The salesmen at Eagles Optics probably get Swarovski for cost that's why they use them. I hate Swarovski's because they monopolize the crystal industry and those are way overpriced too."

"I might look at the new Swarovision when it comes out. It will be along time though before you will get any discount on those babies."

__________________________________________________________________________________

1. * So....you do really think that people are buying these and throwing their hard earn cash because they are gullible and/or into the "status" of them??

2. *And....the only reason sales people at Eagle optics use Swarovski is because they get them for cost?? Oh Come on!!

3. *And ....you now show your true feelings about Swarovski (" I hate Swarovski ")

??So why would you spend your money on a company that you hate?-- (" I might look at the new Swarovision when it comes out. It will be along time though before you will get any discount on those babies.")

4. Quote from Dennis: ...."I am just trying to save him all the time it took me to come to the realization of what I think is the best binocular on the market."
....According to Dennis

5. Quote from Dennis: "I would not buy an EL right now I would wait for the new Swarovision if I was in the market for a new binocular now."

Why? I thought you hated Swarovski.

6. From Dennis: "That is my opinion. He asked for opinions."

++Yes we are all entitled to our opinions.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Regarding your statement number 2 above concerning Eagle Optics "could be or they want to sell Swarovski's because their profit margin is higher on them...," on June 11, 2009 in the BF thread "Atlas Intrepid from Eagle Optics," Blizdas/Barry Lizdas the Sales Manager of EO commented that "these days I am birding with a Zeiss 7x42 FL and an 82 mm Leica scope. If I lost my Zeiss bins and had a pair of the Intrepid ED's to use, I would still be a happy birder. Having said that, I'm not about to give up my 7x42's."

Come on Dennis, I can hardly wait (really, yes I can) for you to put your opin-spin(s) on that.

Les

Last edited:
Dennis,

I am going to stop my comments in this thread and not do a point/counter point with you.

I quoted your statements to point out ones that I either wanted to comment on or ask if that is how you felt. I disagreed with many of your comments and that is okay for us to disagree. It was probably my mistake to post comments on this thread when they did not do anything to help with Motts original ? I guess I was taken back with comments that I did and still do feel were either ignorant or irresponsible:

"( ...people think they are a status symbol! Hunters for some reason think Swarovski is the ultimate and I don't think they even know Zeiss makes binoculars.
The salesmen at Eagles Optics probably get Swarovski for cost that's why they use them.)" etc...

So we can continue to disagree and that is just fine. You obviously like what you like and a lot of others like what they like and that is wonderful- makes the world a lot less boring. There probably is not (no I know there is not) one right binocular for everyone.
No one type or brand is going to be "the one" for all of us. Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry Motts for hijacking your thread. Zeiss / Leica / Swarovski and many others- make a fine bino. Try them all and find the one that suits you and if it does-you can't go wrong.

Stephen

Last edited:
No worries guys. Interesting discussion nonetheless. Everyone is going to have an opinion. It's up to us to the individual to distinguish between fact and opinion.

I'm holding off on my purchase for a few months anyway, with the holidays coming up. Just bought a new truck this last week too:t:... One of these days I'll try both binos, side by side, and form my own opinion of which looks best to me.

I do sincerely appreciate your guys' responses. Thanks.

Dennis,

I have to agree with sless13 on your back editing and deleting of posts that you made and did not like. I see that you have deleted at least 1 post to me on this thread and at least one to sless13. If fact you deleted all posts that you made yesterday on this thread after the one you made at 10:13 AM PST. I guess you thought we would not notice that.

Real smooth and sly (or at least you think you are). I guess you did not want some of your outrageous; ignorant; irresponsible and inflammatory comments and posts left on this thread. What a tool.

I have a better idea--next time when you think of something really Sophomoric to say/post--don't. Keep it to yourself. Like they say:

*** It would do a person well to keep their mouth shut and have people wonder whether they are wise or an idiot rather than open it and remove all doubt.***

Dennis you would do well to heed that advice.

This kind of thing (deleting posts that you did not like) just calls into ? your integrity

Last edited:
If we are quoting parables as posting guidlines, I have found that in interacting on internet forums that "if you can't say something nice, best not to say anything at all" to be the most sage advise of all.

Hopefully most of us are sensible enough to seperate the wheat from the chaffe. Everyone's opinion has value, even if it just reveals their ignorance of the subject. Best to walk away from the PC for awhile when the urge to "attack" someone strikes. Chances are when you come back, the thread has moved on. Saves everyone time and bandwidth from engaging in silly schoolyard bickering.

happy holidays,
Rick

Hi Rick, Good advise I have started writing lots of posts that I never posted or posted and then deleted right away.;)
Regards,Steve

To the readers of this thread,

I apologize for my earlier post to Dennis. Dennis rightfully so called me on it. After re-reading my post and reflecting on what was written I realized that I was acidic and caustic with my comments. Even though I had a disagreement with Dennis there was no reason to take it to that level of banter. For that I apologize.

Sincerely

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back