• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Nightjar Suffolk (1 Viewer)

Brian2

Guys
any advise welcome...
Looking to hear and maybe even see Nightjar...given up a couple of nights to it recently but maybe i'm in the wrong place or at the wrong time
i'd welcome any advise on good locations and times to give me a better chance of hearing them churring.
I'm in Essex so thinking Suffolk is probably my best shot but willing to take a steer on it if anybody knows locations within an hour or so from the bottom of the M11
Had a cracking night last night in the Brecks with loads of good birds but no Nightjar again....I'm sure I heard these as a child but it just seems to be a bit of a bogey bird at the moment.B :)

They're in Rendlesham Forest. Probably not the best place to see them (to be honest I didn't try), but hearing them was easy near the Forest Camping.

Thanks, I was hoping to find something on the A11 side of Suffolk but maybe I'll need to do the A12 run and try Rendlesham...maybe tag it onto a trip to the East coast.

Guys
any advise welcome...
Looking to hear and maybe even see Nightjar...given up a couple of nights to it recently but maybe i'm in the wrong place or at the wrong time
i'd welcome any advise on good locations and times to give me a better chance of hearing them churring.
I'm in Essex so thinking Suffolk is probably my best shot but willing to take a steer on it if anybody knows locations within an hour or so from the bottom of the M11
Had a cracking night last night in the Brecks with loads of good birds but no Nightjar again....I'm sure I heard these as a child but it just seems to be a bit of a bogey bird at the moment.B :)

You need to take a tape and a big torch;)

see this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=232776

No tape.....that's not my style. The torch may come in handy if I have to walk back in the dark but I won't be pointing it at any birds...To be honest I'd be quite happy to park up and just listen from the car if I thought I'd hear them rather than casuing any disturbance to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back