• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Toric 8x42 Experience (1 Viewer)

jgraider

I am 55 yrs old, never worn glasses with the exception of reading, but will admit my eyesight isn't what it was even 10 years ago. I am not a technical guy, but have had the luxury of owning and/or using most all of the high end stuff with the exception of the Zeiss SF and HT, and Nikon EDG. To this day the finest piece of glass I've ever seen is the 10x50 SV. In my world it has not peer. With that said, I am always on the perpetual prowl for a great value, i.e. where performance exceeds the price. I found that exponentially with the Tract Toric 8x42 binocular.

Let me get this out of the way......I have the SLC HD, Meopta Meostar HD, Leupold Gold Ring HD (all in 10x42) to compare with, and my buddy owns the gun/optics shop down the road and I got to use the Razor HD and Conquest HD (again both in 10x42) to compare.

IMHO, the characteristics of the Toric are:
Build quality-exceptionally good. High quality feeling in every way. It has got some heft to it but not exceedingly so.

Eyecups-there are several stages of adjustment, and when you set it where you like it they will not move without you doing so intentionally. They work very smoothly and are not too big, not too small.

Focus mechanism--I am VERY picky about this, and know what I like and why. The knob has what I'd call moderate tension, and once again it will stay set where you put it. I hate the ones with very light tension, as they get moved inadvertently sometimes. Also, and what I found most likable, is that you can nail a super sharp image the first time without overshooting it. Probably due to what I'd call a moderate speed...not a fast focus, not a real slow focus. It is more like the SV in this regard.

Ergonomics--the Tract is the sleekest bino of those I tested, along with the Razor HD. It feels very good in your hands.

Optics--They are what I'd call a very neutral image. Image is VERY sharp, clean, crisp, and contrasty. Blacks are very black, whites are very white, colors are beautifully rendered but not what I'd call "popping" out at you. It is an exceptionally easy, crisp, bright clear view. I'd call the FOV pretty average, not exceptional, but didn't take the time to measure it.

Optics comparison according to my eyes--even though it is the only 8x in the bunch I'll attempt to explain what I saw anyway and you guys can take it FIW:

Toric vs:
10x50 SV--as I said, this is the finest binocular I've ever used or owned, including the 10x42 SV. Since the Toric does not use field flatteners, I'll still say the SV reigns supreme, at a hefty price tag of course.

Conquest HD--Toric is slightly brighter and sharper. Colors looked about the same to me. I was hindered by the ER on the Conquest though, and know Zeiss has a fix for that. Since these were loaners I obviously couldn't bother with that. These are both made by Kamakura Japan, and some similarities are there, but the Toric optics are better.

Razor HD--I could not tell any difference between the two. Both are very nice ergonomically.

Meopta HD- I never saw the very slight warm bias until I put them side by side. The Toric is noticeably sharper and brighter, and much more pleasing to hold.

SLC HD--I honestly can see no difference whatsoever in these two. The focus mech on the Toric is superior to the SLC though.

Gold Ring HD--I've been using these for almost 10 yrs now, and it has performed exceptionally well. That being said though, when these two are up against each other the Toric is clearly optically superior, as the GR warm bias shows up. Once again the Toric is brighter, sharper, etc, and ergonomically superior.

I'll attempt to answer any questions that may arise, and to put out my disclaimer to denco......neither I, nor my opinions are for sale or compromise as he accused SteveC. I purchase every optic I own with my own money, period. I could care less what people want to buy, why they like what they buy, etc. More power to 'em.

Nice write-up JG.

Did you notice any chromatic aberration and how it compared with the other models?

Lee

I never see much CA, and do not usually look for it so I won't be much help here. I didn't notice any in the Toric, and I forgot to add that it does a great job of eliminating glare/ghosting as well.

Hi,

Are you referring to the original 10x42 SLC HD or the current simplified model that is also commonly referred to as an HD?

Ed

Really good write up! Sounds like that may very well be the one to beat in that price range. I really appreciate direct comparisons.

What I first saw the Toric I was thinking it looked VERY Maven-ish.

It's the whole Audi R8 / Lambo Huracan thing...same product kitted up in different ways. I just wish Kamakura would sell all this stuff under their own label instead of selling the guts to some re-brander to slap on new rubber and call it something else.

I don't care what they say or what they try to call them - they are not Tracts and they are not Mavens [neither design or make binoculars] - they are Kamakura's

Where is the beef?

If one could be confident that the product performance was uniform, there would be no compelling reason to buy alpha glass.
Sadly such product stability has not yet been demonstrated by anyone. Binocular manufacturing has too many variables to allow production within narrow specifications.
Consequently no producer has ever attempted to document their vaunted 'quality' other than by offering 'lifetime' warranties. These are suspect in light of the experience with Brunton.
So it is the Scotch verdict imho for this new entrant.

The first generation SLC HD with green and black armoring.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. It looks to me like you reported on comparisons between the 8x42 Toric and several 10x binoculars exclusively, including the original 10x42 SLC HD and Swaro 10x50 SV. True?

Ed

Last edited:
[..]I just wish Kamakura would sell all this stuff under their own label instead of selling the guts to some re-brander to slap on new rubber and call it something else.

I don't care what they say or what they try to call them - they are not Tracts and they are not Mavens [neither design or make binoculars] - they are Kamakura's
I'd have no problem buying a Kamakura-branded binocular if they did what I wanted and they were made available. But if Kamakura thinks they're better at doing the engineering and B2B marketing, and want to leave the messy business of B2C marketing, sales and distribution to someone else, who are we to say they're wrong? If the only way I can get a rather nice little Kamakura 6x30 roof bin, that suits a specific use I have, is to buy it from Maven then I'll say "good on 'em" - to both Kamakura for making and Maven for selling a nice bin in a format that appears not to be very popular.

...Mike

It's the whole Audi R8 / Lambo Huracan thing...same product kitted up in different ways. I just wish Kamakura would sell all this stuff under their own label instead of selling the guts to some re-brander to slap on new rubber and call it something else.

Using Swift binoculars for comparison, one could say that Hiyoshi Kogaku should also have marketed under their own brand, since they made similar looking products for several retailers — including Sears and Wards. But, the configurations, mechanicals or optics were somewhat different for each retailer. Can we be sure that isn't the same in this case? Just thinking ... mmmm.

Then, too, there is the possibility of production sorting to satisfy different quality price ranges. .... mmmmm

Ed

Last edited:
Really good write up! Sounds like that may very well be the one to beat in that price range. I really appreciate direct comparisons.

What I first saw the Toric I was thinking it looked VERY Maven-ish.

It struck me that way too until I held them both at the TTHA show this weekend in Ft Worth. The Toric is much more sleek and less bulky, if that matters.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. It looks to me like you reported on comparisons between the 8x42 Toric and 10x binoculars exclusively, including the original 10x42 SLC HD and Swaro 10x50 SV. True?

Ed

Correct. That's because all I had on hand were 10x's. I do not own another 8x and could not borrow another either. I had a 8x32 Euro HD that burned up in a fire that swept through my hunting camp or I would have used that too.

JG,

The 8x wouldn't tempt me on Fov alone, though the 10x looks quite respectable in this regard. You've said it compares well optically to some pretty good glass - any chance of comparing the 10x Toric?

You mentioned it had "heft" - is the specified 748grams weight accurate?

Also what direction does the focuser turn to infinity?

Finally, can you make any comment for the 10x on the ER when using with glasses?

Thanks, Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Correct. That's because all I had on hand were 10x's. I do not own another 8x and could not borrow another either. I had a 8x32 Euro HD that burned up in a fire that swept through my hunting camp or I would have used that too.

My apology, I see you said that in para. #8:
... Optics comparison according to my eyes--even though it is the only 8x in the bunch I'll attempt to explain what I saw anyway and you guys can take it FIW:

Sorry to hear about the Euro HD.

Ed

JG,

The 8x wouldn't tempt me on Fov alone, though the 10x looks quite respectable in this regard. You've said it compares well optically to some pretty good glass - any chance of comparing the 10x Toric?

You mentioned it had "heft" - is the specified 748grams weight accurate?

Also what direction does the focuser turn to infinity?

Finally, can you make any comment for the 10x on the ER when using with glasses?

Thanks, Chosun :gh:

CJ, totally agree with you on the specs/FOV of the 8x if I were to concentrate on that alone. When you compare it to the specs of many competitors in 8x (Razor) it is right in the fairway though. I'd personally like to see it a bit wider though I admit. That thought went away quickly when I looked through them though, as it was very impressive.

As to the 10x question, I plan to do that in a couple of weeks. I was so impressed with the 8x that I ordered the 10x42's as well.

"I'd call the FOV pretty average, not exceptional, but didn't take the time to measure it."

I would call a FOV of 377 feet below average now days when the new models are pushing 430 to 440 feet for an 8x42. The new Nikon 8x42 HG has 435 feet I believe. That would be a deal killer for me. They look like another Maven clone.

That seems to be the best fit for you, in spite of you having never seen an HG. I really hope you do not try a Toric, as I do not look forward to being inundated with your perpetual BS. We've seen that movie before.

That seems to be the best fit for you, in spite of you having never seen an HG. I really hope you do not try a Toric, as I do not look forward to being inundated with your perpetual BS. We've seen that movie before.

No need to sugar-coat it JG ;)
Lee

Trolls like you and your perpetual BS rub me the wrong way, not merely opinions. Since you're not interested in this glass maybe you'll take a hike and not post on this thread anymore?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back