• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is? from ROMANIA, small bird (1 Viewer)

I'm not so sure there is a white eyebrow but rather the lighter appearing edge to the top of the head with a darker leaf of the same shape behind. That said I can't help with what it is!

This refers to the first photo.

Last edited:
masked shrike hasn't even been reported from romania yet (so would be a first ;) ). to me this is a young black-headed bunting, which currently undergoes a rapid expansion of its breeding range in southern romania. initially i also considered cirl bunting which is a frequent breeder in that area. but no streaks on underparts and yellow on underparts better matched by this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131256186@N04/18128143403

i don't think tail is too long for a BHB. note notched tail and peculiar bill shape - typical bunting bill but enormous and long. crown stripe seems to be an artefact and dark ears matched by some BHB.

Last edited:
Always nice to see a Wryneck, but it isn't the same bird as in your original post! As mentioned the tail is completely different.

Attachments

• Picture 969 lo.jpg
    Picture 969 lo.jpg
    699.2 KB · Views: 55
How can you be sure you saw the very same bird again? Was it ringed? I'm sure you saw a Wryneck now but as stated the OP was never a Wryneck!

Even given the blurriness pic, some things look completely wrong for Wryneck. Tha tail, that bill, and lack of prominient dark eyestripe are hard to explain!

The attached is a picture of a female BHB that I found on the internet. On the OP's pics, note the cleft tail, the shape and size of the bill and on the 2nd pic, the yellowish area underneath the tail and compare with the attached and I think things are maybe pointing towards a juvenile female black headed bunting. Also, this pic was taken in Bulgaria which borders on Romania so same general sector of south-eastern Europe while Wiki says "The main breeding zone extends from south-eastern Europe to central Asia." so location and time of year would be about right too.

Attachments

• BHB.jpg
    BHB.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 69
As others say:

The original photo do not show a Wryneck, and you can take that to the bank!

My vote is for Black-headed Bunting juvenile because of notched, rather long tail and yellowish undertail coverts.

Peter

I apologize if I created a confusion. I did not think it would be 2 different birds, have a nice day!

I think the 'two different birds' stems from you subsequently seeing a Wryneck in the same tree not the original post of two pictures.

Looks to have been resolved as a Black Headed Bunting...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back