• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New bin, EL10x50SV (2 Viewers)

I compared a 10X50SV with a 12X50 SV side-by-side over a period of three days in daylight. The only difference was magnification. Unless two bins are compared at the same time, under the same conditions conclusions are suspect. Memory is not what we think it is. At least that's what I remember.

PS
Everyone's experience level differs but, out of the box, the 10X50 SV was one of the "easiest on the eyes" I've used. Eye placement was effortless and the FOV with eyeglasses was/is excellent.

I agree that it has to be side by side comparison. Did you look for color. Only in comparative sense, I found 10*50 little washed out compared to 12*50. I clearly remember 12*50 image. However the only variable could be two different days and condition.

I agree that it has to be side by side comparison. Did you look for color. Only in comparative sense, I found 10*50 little washed out compared to 12*50. I clearly remember 12*50 image. However the only variable could be two different days and condition.

perhaps you have super natural color vision memory,
and "absolute pitch" but for colors?
:smoke:

(Myself not even remembering what colors of the socks I put on this morning, hmmm, now I see, one red and one blue...)

I think the solution for you is to take some relaxing pills or tea,
an accept that you now are the owner of the worlds best binoculars,
BAS (binocular anxiety syndrome) can be painful (just look at Dennis..) , but therapy helps, and there are online forums for that, Optics talk for example
3:)

PS. Those 10x42 swaros you are dreaming about is like looking through a pair of paper rolls in comparison to the 10x50 SV…

:t:

Last edited:
perhaps you have super natural color vision memory,
and "absolute pitch" but for colors?
:smoke:

(Myself not even remembering what colors of the socks I put on this morning, hmmm, now I see, one red and one blue...)

I think the solution for you is to take some relaxing pills or tea,
an accept that you now are the owner of the worlds best binoculars,
BAS (binocular anxiety syndrome) can be painful (just look at Dennis..) , but therapy helps, and there are online forums for that, Optics talk for example
3:)

PS. Those 10x42 swaros you are dreaming about is like looking through a pair of paper rolls in comparison to the 10x50 SV…

:t:

I hope and wish that you are correct. ;);)

Sanjay

Sanjay...The EL 10x50 SV Will Be identical in form and handling as the 12x50...However, the 10x50 does offer a Wider FOV, a Brighter Image that will assist in very low light situations and be easier to control Bino Shakes due their lower power...Ted

I think color,contrast & sharpness was little suppressed because of brightness...In short I found 12*50 view crystal clear, saturated colors and the punch. This was suppressed in 10*50 SV as I could find more whiteness in image. To me 12*50 was the view I liked.
Sanjay

Sanjay,

I understand what you see, as I Initially thought the 10x50 SV "brightness" was overshadowing color "pop" and contrast. But after much use, came to realize with the bigger 50mm objectives at 10x power, resolution and details under overcast skies, shadowy views and extreme low light situations "really popped" with Natural contrast, color and resolution!

Direct comparisons between the 10x42SV and 10x50SV inside a big optics store and outside in bright sunlight did display a more saturated color bias (pop) with the 10x42's, but I eventually decided the 10x50's color presentation was more Natural, as is my normal non-optical induced vision. To my eyes, I find the 10x50's neither punchy or washed out, but presenting all views (bright daylight-low light-dusk-dawn) in their natural visual state with accrate colors, excellent contrast and detailed resolution! For me overall, their superb DOF and wide FOV along with their natural visual presentation is what makes the 10x50's "Come Alive"! :eek!:

I've not seen or glassed with the 12x50's, but imagine they are just as you described. Only you can decide if their view characteristics (or maybe the 10x42's SV's) really are the optics you want long term. However, you have the 10x50 SV's in your hands and I'd suggest to take this opportunity glassing in as many places, situations and lighting conditions to determine if they could be "keepers" for You also!

Good Luck with your enduring quest! :t:

Ted

Sanjay,

I understand what you see, as I Initially thought the 10x50 SV "brightness" was overshadowing color "pop" and contrast. But after much use, came to realize with the bigger 50mm objectives at 10x power, resolution and details under overcast skies, shadowy views and extreme low light situations "really popped" with Natural contrast, color and resolution!

Direct comparisons between the 10x42SV and 10x50SV inside a big optics store and outside in bright sunlight did display a more saturated color bias (pop) with the 10x42's, but I eventually decided the 10x50's color presentation was more Natural, as is my normal non-optical induced vision. To my eyes, I find the 10x50's neither punchy or washed out, but presenting all views (bright daylight-low light-dusk-dawn) in their natural visual state with accrate colors, excellent contrast and detailed resolution! For me overall, their superb DOF and wide FOV along with their natural visual presentation is what makes the 10x50's "Come Alive"! :eek!:

I've not seen or glassed with the 12x50's, but imagine they are just as you described. Only you can decide if their view characteristics (or maybe the 10x42's SV's) really are the optics you want long term. However, you have the 10x50 SV's in your hands and I'd suggest to take this opportunity glassing in as many places, situations and lighting conditions to determine if they could be "keepers" for You also!

Good Luck with your enduring quest! :t:

Ted

Ted,

I think that you have mentioned is close to what I felt. I did feel that 10*50 were presenting colors close to what I see with naked eyes today. I also agree that they were not washed out ( I used this term earlier just in comapartive terms) but presented more like natural colors. With 12*50, I felt color more saturated than what I can see with eyes. I agree that I should try these binocular in variety of situations to understand them well and see what I like.

Thanks for acknowledging this otherwise I would have thought that it was only illusion since all my learned friends here didn't think this way.

Sanjay Naithani

I spoke to a representative at Swarovski last week to check on the authenticity of a vendor and was told that purchase from an authorized dealer is no longer required to obtain warranty. He said to call them with the SN, and as long as they aren't grey market or stolen, you can buy them from anyone and still obtain the full warranty.

Here is what Swarovsik USA states in writing on their web site:

SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use.

http://aa.swarovskioptik.com/download/pdf/en_US/Warranty_US.pdf

I suspect the warranty in the box that you describe is from the Swarovski parent company and then Swaro USA supplements that. You might give Swaro USA a call to get actual the explanation.

I spoke to a representative at Swarovski last week to check on the authenticity of a vendor and was told that purchase from an authorized dealer is no longer required to obtain warranty. He said to call them with the SN, and as long as they aren't grey market or stolen, you can buy them from anyone and still obtain the full warranty.

Thanks SD! With my 1st Swaro purchase in May, I called SONA and also received "lifetime warranty" confirmations just as you stated above. Optical Quality + Superb Warranty = Winners all around!!:t:

Ted

Concerning the 10 year warranty period that is written on the Swaro info handbook- I asked SONA about that last year; and the person I spoke with said it is lifetime warranty in U.S. Then the person I spoke with put me on hold as they wanted to clarify with someone else is CS. Then when he got back on the phone, he explained that Swarovski prints out the one info book for everywhere ( one reason why they have different languages printed in them); and Swarovski does not print out a different book for US. Which makes total sense to me.

Last edited:
I think there may be some misunderstanding in some of the posts about the nature of exit pupil and brightness. Providing it's not so dark that the exit pupil becomes limiting then a 10x25 will be just as bright to the eye as a 10x80 if all the other optical characteristics are the same. If the light levels are such that your pupil has contracted to 2.5mm then the 10x80 is effectively a 10x25 as far as the eye is concerned. The image at the retina is formed from a diameter of objective equal to the your pupil diameter multipied by the magnification or 2.5mm x 10 = 25mm.

I suspect some of the other observarions made about various Swarovski models may be accounted for by transmission profile. The eye is very bad at judging light levels but is pretty good at detecting differences in colour and contrast. I've tried a few dozen EL SVs and SLCs over the years and while the blue content is typically higher than some of the competition I have found it to be very variable. I suspect this is most likely due to something like batch differences in lens coating rather than a specific models always being bluer than another.

A high blue content may make the colours seem more vibrant, the shadows look lighter, and may admit more reflected light or scene glare. In short, make the scene appear brighter without any change to the wavelengths that are important for visual sensitivity. High blue content will not improve low light performance. Additionally it is the short end of the spectum that is most readily reflected and scattered and mostly contributes to a hazy view. Models with a lower blue transmission may appear to have better contrast and clarity, particularly at long range.

To my mind different colour balances suite different light conditions, but I have seen some Swarovski samples where I would consider the levels of blue too strong for general use.

David

Last edited:
I suspect this is most likely due to something like batch differences in lens coating rather than a specific models always being bluer than another.

To my mind different colour balances suite different light conditions, but I have seen some Swarovski samples where I would consider the levels of blue too strong for general use.

David

that seems a bit strange, any batch differences would even out, since there are so many lens surfaces with coatings in a binocular,

but getting "blue screen" with your swaros does not sound cool….or warm, rather..
:-O

Last edited:
Concerning the 10 year warranty period that is written on the Swaro info handbook- I asked SONA about that last year; and the person I spoke with said it is lifetime warranty in U.S. Then the person I spoke with put me on hold as they wanted to clarify with someone else is CS. Then when he got back on the phone, he explained that Swarovski prints out the one info book for everywhere ( one reason why they have different languages printed in them); and Swarovski does not print out a different book for US. Which makes total sense to me.

Can Oral Express Warranties override Written Express Warranties?

http://studentlegalservices.web.unc.edu/legal-resources/legal-topics-index-2/warranties/

I must be the only one here who is too dumb to figure out just what Sanjay's problem is.

Apparently he never used bins before and expected his first bins would show the world the way we see it with our eyes, only bigger; but not even Swaro's can do that. It's impressive that he has chosen the SV 10x50 as his first bins....straight to the top!

that seems a bit strange, any batch differences would even out, since there are so many lens surfaces with coatings in a binocular,

but getting "blue screen" with your swaros does not sound cool….or warm, rather..

All I can say is when working my way round the multiple samples of the various models on a show stand, differences are obvious. I don't know how those differences arise but I've seen photos of vacuum deposition cambers with several layers of lens trays. Is it possible that Swarovski would, or could coat a whole set in one go? Even a subset might account for the variation. Who knows?

David

Apparently he never used bins before and expected his first bins would show the world the way we see it with our eyes, only bigger; but not even Swaro's can do that. It's impressive that he has chosen the SV 10x50 as his first bins....straight to the top!

Do you mean to say that all that waffling and vacillating was totally abstract, with not one single, solitary look through anything?

We all had to start somewhere at sometime. Swaro must be very hard to come by in New Delhi, thus his limited experiences. Although he has done some homework with Zeiss and Swaro, our testing, comparison and glassing opportunities in Europe or here in the states are much better. Undoubtedly, BF was a resource to ask and receive information for Sanjay, just as it was for me. I really appreciate the knowledge and assistance from BF members I received when starting out "looking for the best optics" available.

Yes, even going "right to the top" for your first optics involves a learning curve. As Steve says HERE, "Healthy debate and discussion is of course very welcome"! inaccuricies

Ted

Last edited:
All I can say is when working my way round the multiple samples of the various models on a show stand, differences are obvious. I don't know how those differences arise but I've seen photos of vacuum deposition cambers with several layers of lens trays. Is it possible that Swarovski would, or could coat a whole set in one go? Even a subset might account for the variation. Who knows?

David

I hope you have seen different generations of coatings,
or just been unlucky with bad demo samples...:-C

personally I just get dizzy when I try to compare color rendition,
It's a bit like listening to hi-fi cables, but then you at least can do blind testing,
blind testing bins is so much harder….

I hope you have seen different generations of coatings,
or just been unlucky with bad demo samples...:-C

personally I just get dizzy when I try to compare color rendition,
It's a bit like listening to hi-fi cables, but then you at least can do blind testing,
blind testing bins is so much harder….

Have someone else put them up to your eyes, and keep your eyes closed until the glasses are in place?

Have someone else put them up to your eyes, and keep your eyes closed until the glasses are in place?

I can recognize any binoculars by the smell only,
so that wouldn't work,
really wonder how the new swaros will smell…
If they smell better than the current I will get a pair of the 8.5x42 I think,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back