• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inexpensive Binos for the Amazon (1 Viewer)

grancasa

Hi there,

Your forum is great, and I've gathered a lot of information reading through the posts, but it is a bit of info overload. Can you all help?

I will be living for the next few years in the Amazon jungle in Peru and want to take a set of binoculars with me. I've been there before with cheap Walmart binos my Dad brought down and they were worthless. I'll be primarily studying plants so my eyes will often be on the ground right in front of me, but I'd like to see the howler's, birds, jaguars and life that likes to stay a bit farther from humans. I can hold the 10x's steady just fine, and I will have a tripod for my camera as well but won't take that out with me too often.

I don't have much to spend (I'm looking for around $80 used price, or $200 new).

I don't wear glasses.

I don't mind the weight of something like the Action 10x50, at least I don't THINK I do (hours on trail in the jungle may change that).

Around NYC I've tried out Nikon Action and low end Bushnell binos, all at 10x50 and they look fine to me. Will I need gas filled if I am not planning on dropping them in water or leaving them out in a storm? Any steals in the used market I've never heard of? Other recommendations from others who have spent long periods in humid bush?

Thanks for your time. I'm open to all suggestions

Jose

Last edited:
Now I do not know much but will give my $0.02. For studing plants and maybe insects up close the reverse Pentax Papilio seems like a good choice. Close focus and decent quality, not sure if they are water proof vs resistant, might be important in the jungle enviroment. I am sure more folks will be along to offer siggestions.

A 6x, 7x or 8x would serve you better in the jungle... much wider FOV, better depth of field and better close focus too.

At your price range the lower mags will have a sharper view.

6x32 Leupold Katami

8x25 Nikon Prostaff ATB

6x30 Leupold Yosemite (I'd trust them in the humid jungle)

Don't fall into the magnification trap "I'll see more with highter mag"

If you're in NY go to BH and try them out.

Cheers

Jim's advice on the Vortex Diamondback is good. They are in your price range and are built like a tank, albeit not as bright as "alpha" top of the line binoculars are. I have the 8 x 42 which has a nice wide field of view of 420' at 1000 yards. I suspect that if any $200.00 binocular is up to the rigors of the Amazon Rainforest this one would be, but for protection from the Rain Forest's Humidity you should also be prepared to have reusable (reheatable) drying elements available in a suitable container to store the binoculars with while they are not in use.

A Leica 7 or 8 x 42 BN Trinovid would be ideal if you could find one at an affordable price. Take along the Diamondback as a back up. A rugged backup is always a good idea.

And make sure you vet the binocular out thoroughly before you take it. Use it for a couple of weeks to make sure it's working properly.

Good luck! Sounds like a great job!

Bob

Last edited:
Would table salt in a cotton bag work as a reheatable dessicant?

Salt attracts water but turns more corrosive with increased moisture. It "cakes" when wet and does not have much storage capacity.

A better choice, in my opinion, would be orange, indicating silca gel. You can Google, there are many sources, such as B&H and many other places either loose or in packets.

I, personally, like the Sorebead Orange. One source of it is http://deltaadsorbents.thomasnet.com/viewitems/bulk-desiccants/sorbead-silica-gel

Ron

Last edited:
I've spent a fair amount of time in the Peruvian boondocks and I recommend taking something that is a) tough b) waterproof and c) inconspicuous. Stuff gets stolen and carrying extra gear attracts unwanted attention. I would go with a pair of Leupold 6x32 or Vortex 6.5x32s and be done with it. This might even be a place for a good pair of compacts, which is what a lot of field workers I know use.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the Peruvian boondocks and I recommend taking something that is a) tough b) waterproof and c) inconspicuous. Stuff gets stolen and carrying extra gear attracts unwanted attention. I would go with a pair of Leupold 6x32 or Vortex 6.5x32s and be done with it. This might even be a place for a good pair of compacts, which is what a lot of field workers I know use.

The Vortex 6.5 x 32 would be a good choice, but only if they have fixed a serious problem they had with the IPD adjustment which was integrated with the Center Focus Knob. I had to return the one I had. I would stick to a simpler diopter adjustment like the Vortex Diamondbacks have-see link below.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback7x36

This binocular might also suit your needs. I've been using the 9 x 36 version for about 9 months now as a "car" and backup binocular. It's tough like it's big brother the 8 x 42. I've left it in the car overnight quite often and during the heat of day purposefully, and on the floor and in the glove compartment while traveling, just to see how it would react and there have been no problems-- which is NOT how I would normally treat a binocular!

Bob

PS I am not associated with Vortex or any other Optics company in any way. In fact, I am a big Nikon enthusiast!
PPS: The binocular linked above is currently on sale at Camera Land for $159.99. The company has a stellar reputation here among Bird Forum participants.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help! It has been fun to look at new names in binoculars.

I got a chance to try out the Leupold Yosemite 6x and 8x today and they are impressively nice binoculars. At a new price of just under $100 they seem like the best deal, and I think I will be buying a pair of the 8x in the next few days. Thanks again with the help.

They are a good choice. Good luck with them and in your stay in Peru.:t:|=)|

Be sure to follow up and let us know how they work out for you.

All the best,

Bob

Probably too late but..

if you are studying plants you should go for the Pentax Papilio. Most people prefer the 6.5x, it has a brighter image and copes better with following moving insects eg butterflies in flight. For studying plants, the 8.5 might be better.

It is always tempting to stick to "one item does it all", particularly if you are on a budget. But once you have bought the Papilios, you might want to consider an additional pair, with bigger objective lenses to allow in more light - useful in the deep dark jungle, especially if you will be out and about at dawn or dusk.

On your budget you will get a better image with porros, but roofs tend to be more waterproof, which will be essential in the jungle. Get some that are nitrogen-filled to minimise internal condensation. And whatever you buy, try to take it on board the aircraft with you - if it goes into the baggage hold it will have to endure low pressures and temperatures. This could break the seal and cause problems later.

It's not just about dropping the binocular in a puddle. If you will be going backwards and forwards between air-conditioned comfort and hot humid jungle you will be placing high demands on the sealing. If it's not up to scratch you will end up with internal condensation.

It's not for me or anyone else to question your budget - you know better than anyone else how much money you have to spend. Having said that, working for a few years in the Amazon studying nature is an opportunity most of us here would give our right arm for; you should be prepared to spend more than $200. If that means working a few shifts at McDonalds or whatever to pay for it, so be it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back