• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dominica insect (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
this one was displaying itself between the leaves of a plant for a long time the other day. I wonder if it could be a solitary bee, it was a rather loud (for its size) buzzing sound coming from it. Any guesses?

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Insect q 1a P1210937.jpg
    Insect q 1a P1210937.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Insect q 1b P1210940.jpg
    Insect q 1b P1210940.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Insect q 1c P1210945.jpg
    Insect q 1c P1210945.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a bee of the Anthophorini tribe...Don't know if any of these are present in Dominica though. Bees are (most of time) impossible to ID at a species level on photos.

Definitely not a European wasp.

Oh I know that, plus this is a close up picture, but I said it reminds me of the European Wasp because get a lot of them in back yard. Just watching them fly around they had me fooled until got close up look at them. Even get the hairs on the body like the solitary, and tried to figure difference said bees are one body. Wasp are two bodied.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back