• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (3 Viewers)

Could have been worse birdspotter, had it not been for that late equaliser! Pity you dipped the Hoody, bound to be more!;)
Thanks for the updates on the Kumlien's Hoveringham, haven't been down yet but I might have a look this week.
Went round Musselburgh yesterday - nothing much, no white-winged gulls seen! 8 Waxwings from the window though (sorry Stuarty!) G;)

Sounds like a pretty frustrating weekend for you all round Cal - at least I managed to the see the Merg yesterday ;-)

What's the crack with an Iceland being seen yesterday morning and again today? Two bird theory, or perhaps just not seen well enough to be sure? I got the impression from Mark last night that he wasn't certain the bird he saw was definitely the Kumlien's anyway, but it does seem unlikely that there are two similar aged Iceland's in Lothian at the moment.....they aren't exactly regular these days.

Cheers

MSLAF

Hi MSLAF,

I think it must be the Kumlien,s, it's just that nobody can get a good look at the thing, before it's off again.

Nobody been out birding in Lothian recently?, (who looks at BF). Been out a few times this week, nothing worthwhile reporting though. Will have a look down the coast tomorrow. G First Scottish local patch thread addition for a while......!

Last edited:
Very little auks!

Down the coast today as promised, just for a couple of hours. Straight to Barns Ness which I thought would be swamped in Little Auks, given the wind direct from the arctic. An hour later I'd seen 2 Guillemots going north. Not even a possible Little Auk! A Black-throated Diver,flying close-in, north, was some consolation, and a few Purple Sands here.

Checked the caravan site and had a look at East Barns but there is no denying it, Autumn migration is over - it's Winter now!:-C (though apparently Autumn isn't over on some Scottish Isles!);)

Looking for gulls at Skateraw, Dunbar and Belhaven drew a blank on anything unusual. Couldn't even see a med gull (ringed or not!), at Eskmouth when I got back.

Cheers G

Yep tough going wasn't it G in these conditions, I have only just de-frosted from Saturday, f888k I dont think I have been so cold in a long time.

Sat highlight,s were 1st w( I just cant call them juveniles, not after 30 yrs birding) Glauc and Iceland Gull's off Torness.

The Glauc was originally off Skateraw, with 10 or so Snow Bunt's past also.

Sunday, went west for a change with the best being imm Ruddy Duck & 3 Scaup on Linlithgow, 13 Blackwit @ Blackness, 20 LBB Gull @ Barnbougle Gull roost with a dark mantled Herring/YL Gull present.

Gotta agree with ya on the point of few posters, it seems to be the same folk with this thread close to 10,000 hits.
I may have to refrain from posting in the future if this continues, but there will always be Birdline Scotland for the one's who come on here looking for info!;)

Gotta agree with ya on the point of few posters, it seems to be the same folk with this thread close to 10,000 hits.
I may have to refrain from posting in the future if this continues, but there will always be Birdline Scotland for the one's who come on here looking for info!;)

I think that they must fear that it will be hard to keep up with the quality of the writing and the entertainment value......;)

Haven't been birding for best part of 2 weeks because of work/being away. Had 60 waxwings outside Abercorn tennis club yesterday and 10 today in Meadowfield Park whilst carrying out local duties.

An interesting trip down into the Borders-was working in Innerleithen this am. Had 3 black grouse flying at Windy Slack just over into Borders region. Thought any bad conditions would be there-but hit black ice just 2 miles north of Innerleithen golf club and completely spun the car round-not a scratch but inches from a ditch:eek!:

Did 2 tetrads for the atlas on the way back in the hills-only 6 species in 2 baltic hours! Still 2 dippers were nice and interested to see 4 stonechats still high up in this weather

Weekend 22/23 Nov

In response for people to put more info out, he is my weekend highlights:

Sat: Nothing, except missing 2 unusual Gulls at Torness :eek!: .

Sun: Went up the Lammermuir Hills (bloody freeeeeeeezing) and saw 4 Ravens and 12 Buzzards and in the afternoon went to Newbyth woods and got a site-tick;Water Rail beside the pond and 4 Jays.

P.s Had a Partridge in a pear tree:king: Tony

Not sure where to go tomorrow, whenever I try to cater to my "to see" list's needs I end up seeing f***-all!

Still to see Waxwing and Bramling this year, along with the much hyped Med. Gulls which I have yet to see on any of my many trips to Musselburgh! Also after Scaup and Common Scoter as they are the only ducks I haven't seen this winter that I probably should have seen.

In the spirit of unity, I suppose I'd better put mine on here as well......for what it's worth.

Saturday - Single Spotted Redshank roosting at Kilspindie side of Aberlady on the rising tide, and at least five Snow Buntings in flight over the saltmarsh viewed distantly from the gold club overflow carpark.

Sunday - 2 Raven viewed over Moorfoot Farm from Gladhouse Res.

And to confirm - yes it was bloody cold this weekend! Looks like more of the same by this coming weekend as well (hopefully less windy though)

Mike

Not sure where to go tomorrow, whenever I try to cater to my "to see" list's needs I end up seeing f***-all!

Still to see Waxwing and Brambling this year, along with the much hyped Med. Gulls which I have yet to see on any of my many trips to Musselburgh! Also after Scaup and Common Scoter as they are the only ducks I haven't seen this winter that I probably should have seen.

Still no Waxwing Stuarty! Keep trying! (busses are a pretty good way to see Waxwing as you are at their level on the top deck, and you don't have to watch the road at the same time! Seen birds twice from the bus this week!)
For Common Scoter I'd suggest Gullane Bay or Point. Scaup are scare these days, I've only seen one in Lothian this year, so I don't know where you would look for that.

Haven't seen Med Gull for a week or so at Eskmouth. I find that once you do start seeing 'bogey' birds, then they keep coming after that!;)

Good to have somemore postings, makes for a more interesting thread!:t:

Last edited:
at least five Snow Buntings in flight over the saltmarsh viewed distantly from the gold club overflow carpark.
That car park is awesome for some of the smaller birds, had only ever seen one Tree Sparrow before I found the flock there, which I have seen every single time I have returned. Also good for various finches including Twite, and the resident Stonechat pair. Not seen the buntings there though... yet!

Still no Waxwing Stuarty! Keep trying! (busses are a pretty good way to see Waxwing as you are at their level on the top deck, and you don't have to watch the road at the same time! Seen birds twice from the bus this week!)
Not been back down since I last posted - was hoping that since they had been sighted a few times in Glasgow that they would at some point visit me in Whitburn! Where exactly has everyone been seeing them? Throughout Musselburgh and surrounding areas, or all within the same, smaller area? Think I'll try on foot tomorrow :t:

For Common Scoter I'd suggest Gullane Bay or Point. Scaup are scare these days, I've only seen one in Lothian this year, so I don't know where you would look for that
Will give Gullane Bay a bash too, thanks mate. I know there are Scaup in Fife, although I'm only ever through that way to visit my folks and play football, never really have any time to myself to go on a ramble.

Black-necked Grebe

The B. n. Grebe still present at the Kilspindie side of Aberlady Bay this afternoon, at high tide.

Also here a couple of Dabchick, single drake Shoveler and a big Peregrine sat on the saltmarsh. Watched a Merlin fly over the bay straight towards me, then land on a bit of one of the wrecked ships sticking out the water. Got some quite rubbish photos but it didn't hang around long enough for the big lense on the camcorder. Curses!;)P1010829.jpg

P1010843.jpg

Last edited:
Not been back down since I last posted - was hoping that since they had been sighted a few times in Glasgow that they would at some point visit me in Whitburn! Where exactly has everyone been seeing them? Throughout Musselburgh and surrounding areas, or all within the same, smaller area? Think I'll try on foot tomorrow :t:

It seems there's flocks roaming around in several localities. Near Muss station may be a good bet - several recent reports since last wknd including 130 today at Whitehill Gardens. I recall seeing 125 at the same place exactly 4 yrs ago, with a single Mistle Thrush below them robustly defending "its" rowan tree - probably a regular haunt for them.

Still a few around in Longniddry, though transient. Had a nice flock visible from the kitchen window last wknd, and a friend had a couple drinking from puddles at Longniddry c/p 2.

Worth looking out for roving Crossbills too, had one away from conifers at Blindwells last wknd.

Will give Gullane Bay a bash too, thanks mate. I know there are Scaup in Fife, although I'm only ever through that way to visit my folks and play football, never really have any time to myself to go on a ramble.

A safe bet for Common Scoter, but Scaup are now very irregular on the sea. In fact the only place I've seen one on the sea in the last 4 yrs was off Ferny Ness, which was just luck as they are not usually there.

It seems there's flocks roaming around in several localities. Near Muss station may be a good bet - several recent reports since last wknd including 130 today at Whitehill Gardens. I recall seeing 125 at the same place exactly 4 yrs ago, with a single Mistle Thrush below them robustly defending "its" rowan tree - probably a regular haunt for them.

Still a few around in Longniddry, though transient. Had a nice flock visible from the kitchen window last wknd, and a friend had a couple drinking from puddles at Longniddry c/p 2.

Worth looking out for roving Crossbills too, had one away from conifers at Blindwells last wknd.

A safe bet for Common Scoter, but Scaup are now very irregular on the sea. In fact the only place I've seen one on the sea in the last 4 yrs was off Ferny Ness, which was just luck as they are not usually there.
Thanks for that, actually saw my first Crossbill drinking in the puddles at Longniddry Bents Car Park 2, before flapping up to the top of the adjacent Scots Pines and having dinner with its lady friend! The amount of times I've been back and forth between Musselburgh and Aberlady is unreal, really surprised I've not even caught a glimpse of the Waxwings yet :-C

There were 380 (that was the lowest of 3 counts) today in Whitehill Gardens at 9.30-flying down to a rowan tree at barely above head height, just feet away-a spectacular sight

Waxwing No's

I managed to bump into two sizable flock's today, firstly a flock of around 150 flew over my head at St Albans Road in the Blackford area of the city, I had c100 here also on the 18th November so I suspect that flock is staying within that general area.

On driving into my street at Wester Broom, nr Corstorphine I was met with the sight of 163 birds, most likely the nearby Calder Rd flock that has come down this way.

So with both mine and Mark's birds as well as other flocks reported within the last few days there are at least 800 in and around Edinburgh within the last couple of days.

They are as follows

380 Musselburgh
180 Joppa/Northfield area
163 Wester Broom/Calder Rd
60 Balerno
15 Longniddry

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back