• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite 10x? (1 Viewer)

I used to have more 10x. The one with enough eye relief to use with glasses is a Promaster ED 10X42. But if I haul the scope around, that stays in the car. Once I lent my 8x Monarchs to someone for a morning when she was not able to hold the 10x and did not bring proper binos for the outing.

10x42 B&L Elites... mostly because I don't use 10x often, and I ran these over with a 4x4 pickup when I was out doing a lek survey, and they still work.

Justin

I used to have more 10x. The one with enough eye relief to use with glasses is a Promaster ED 10X42. But if I haul the scope around, that stays in the car. Once I lent my 8x Monarchs to someone for a morning when she was not able to hold the 10x and did not bring proper binos for the outing.
A good spotter kills any binocular but you have to find the birds first.

I wonder how the 10x42 SF and 10x42 HT Zeiss would compare side by side. I would like to try those two. It would probably be big FOV(SF) versus brightness(HT). What is more important to you?

I think you hit the nail on the head but I would also include ergonomics. The SF will offer a 9.17% greater field of view while the HT offers ABOUT 3 to 5 percent more light.

Ergonomics LOOK to be a good bit different between the HT and HF BUT I can't imagine the SF being THAT much different than an EL. So nothing more than personal preference IMO.

And REALLY….between the HT, HF, and SV….it's really nothing MORE than personal preference. If starting from scratch I'd be really, REALLY tempted to buy the HF but currently the HT and SV really have a better track record.

You'll be happy with either of those three, that's the three best 10X42s in the consumer market I suppose.

Here's you a little picture comparing the big three although the Leica Ultravid HD Plus is a recently purchased 8X42! :eek!:

DSC_0142.JPG

I think you hit the nail on the head but I would also include ergonomics. The SF will offer a 9.17% greater field of view while the HT offers ABOUT 3 to 5 percent more light.

Ergonomics LOOK to be a good bit different between the HT and HF BUT I can't imagine the SF being THAT much different than an EL. So nothing more than personal preference IMO.

And REALLY….between the HT, HF, and SV….it's really nothing MORE than personal preference. If starting from scratch I'd be really, REALLY tempted to buy the HF but currently the HT and SV really have a better track record.

You'll be happy with either of those three, that's the three best 10X42s in the consumer market I suppose.

Here's you a little picture comparing the big three although the Leica Ultravid HD Plus is a recently purchased 8X42! :eek!:

DSC_0142.JPG
Wow. That Leica Ultravid is small for a 42mm. I keep looking at that big Zeiss HT focus wheel and thinking I like it. Like you say it would be right there where your fingers are. I think the build quality on the Leica's are tops. How is the Leica optics compared to the other two? What are the snap rings on the side of each binocular for? Your harness and do they scratch the attachments of the binoculars at all with use.

Last edited:
Those Promaster's 10x42 ED are really nice binoculars for the money and you don't hear much about them.

Attachments

• 41taAYuphZL.jpg
    41taAYuphZL.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 55
I wonder how the 10x42 SF and 10x42 HT Zeiss would compare side by side. I would like to try those two. It would probably be big FOV(SF) versus brightness(HT). What is more important to you?

The SF has 92% transmission which is plenty, the color fidelity is also better and more important than 3% transmission for me (when birding), the larger sweet spot, larger ER and less EP-spherical aberrations makes it easier to get a stable view with the SF, the 780g of weight is also better balanced in the SF, and that makes it easier to hold still for a longer period of time, the HT is a very good binocular but the SF is overall clearly better for my needs. Never found the upgrade to HT from FL worth it, but the SF definitely is. I have even talked to birders lately that jumped from Swaro to Zeiss SF.

Last edited:
Good morning , definitely spoken of binoculars and alpha are.
No one considers the binoculars of Kowa , possess the 8.5x44 and I must say that is a view superb , excellent definition, micro contrast better than other top brands and not least the absence of CA
Surely it is a pair of binoculars a little heavy ( 960 grams ) , we spend many days and I must say I am very satisfied, I tried the 10.5x44 and is on par , maybe better .
:)

Last edited:
The SF has 92% transmission which is plenty, the color fidelity is also better and more important than 3% transmission for me (when birding), the larger sweet spot, larger ER and less EP-spherical aberrations makes it easier to get a stable view with the SF, the 780g of weight is also better balanced in the SF, and that makes it easier to hold still for a longer period of time, the HT is a very good binocular but the SF is overall clearly better for my needs. Never found the upgrade to HT from FL worth it, but the SF definitely is. I have even talked to birders lately that jumped from Swaro to Zeiss SF.
Nice insight on the SF from a user. That kind of explanation is valuable. So the color fidelity on the SF is better than the HT and also the ergonomics?

Last edited:
Good morning , definitely spoken of binoculars and alpha are.
No one considers the binoculars of Kowa , possess the 8.5x44 and I must say that is a view superb , excellent definition, micro contrast better than other top brands and not least the absence of CA
Surely it is a pair of binoculars a little heavy ( 960 grams ) , we spend many days and I must say I am very satisfied, I tried the 10.5x44 and is on par , maybe better .
:)
Kowa's are very nice and underrated. Not many people even consider them.

Wow. That Leica Ultravid is small for a 42mm. I keep looking at that big Zeiss HT focus wheel and thinking I like it. Like you say it would be right there where your fingers are. I think the build quality on the Leica's are tops. How is the Leica optics compared to the other two? What are the snap rings on the side of each binocular for? Your harness and do they scratch the attachments of the binoculars at all with use.

Leica size… YES it IS.. Really there is not a WHOLE lot of difference between IT and a 32mm.

DSC_0147.JPG

Leica build quality…. I've only had these a SHORT time but two things that REALLY stand out are build quality and user friendliness. The diopter adjustment beats every binocular I've ever owned and by a long shot. One twist of the eye cups makes you wonder why everyone else doesn't do it this way. Everything about the binocular works, well PERFECTLY.

OPTICALLY? I really haven't come to any conclusion. I've used them a LITTLE. Colors seem to be SUPER and of course optically it is excellent. We'll see how it compares to a Vortex Viper HD and a Vanguard Endeavor ED II, both 8X42s later on.

Split rings… Yeah… They are so I can snap on and snap off using a harness. So far I see no real wear on any binoculars though I'm sure it's worse than the OEM nylon strap. So far that's the best solution I've come up with. OP/TECH USA offers a Uni-loop style attachment. You just loop around the ring that's part of the binocular then it has a clip for easy attachment. I've got it here but haven't used it yet.

Leica size… YES it IS.. Really there is not a WHOLE lot of difference between IT and a 32mm.

DSC_0147.JPG

Leica build quality…. I've only had these a SHORT time but two things that REALLY stand out are build quality and user friendliness. The diopter adjustment beats every binocular I've ever owned and by a long shot. One twist of the eye cups makes you wonder why everyone else doesn't do it this way. Everything about the binocular works, well PERFECTLY.

OPTICALLY? I really haven't come to any conclusion. I've used them a LITTLE. Colors seem to be SUPER and of course optically it is excellent. We'll see how it compares to a Vortex Viper HD and a Vanguard Endeavor ED II, both 8X42s later on.

Split rings… Yeah… They are so I can snap on and snap off using a harness. So far I see no real wear on any binoculars though I'm sure it's worse than the OEM nylon strap. So far that's the best solution I've come up with. OP/TECH USA offers a Uni-loop style attachment. You just loop around the ring that's part of the binocular then it has a clip for easy attachment. I've got it here but haven't used it yet.

You should see how much smaller the Blackline and Silverline Ultravids look than the standard rubber coated ones do!

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40272

Bob

Nice insight to the SF from a user. That kind of explanation is valuable. So the color fidelity on the SF is better than the HT and also the ergonomics?

the HT has a nice grip,
but I think the focuser is better positioned on the SF,
and that gives more flexibility in hand/finger placements,
the SF is also about 50-60 g lighter, and I tend to prefer binos weighing less than 800 grams,

I wouldn't be surprised if the SF have a slightly flatter transmission curve than the HT (and FL)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back