• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with compact 30/32mm Alpha Choice (2 Viewers)

how little pincushioning will suffice (and whether it's uniform or more complex),
I realize that I'm not certain exactly what "[more] uniform" would mean here, in contrast to the variation in Swarovision etc. Does a classic design like those decades ago involve a simple (linear?) gradual increase of pincushioning toward the field edge, or... ?

Does a classic design like those decades ago involve a simple (linear?) gradual increase of pincushioning toward the field edge, or... ?
Just comparing different old EWA porros seems to suggest that they do indeed have a gradual increase towards the edge unlike the Kowa BDII for instance, which has a moustache-distortion.
But there are also older EWA binos that have it, like the Komz 6x24 which has a very similar distortion to the Kowa BDII 6.5x32 -- Russian binos in general seem to have less pincushioning than Japanese ones but all the old Tento-models from 7x35 up to 20x60 have a rather narrow FoV anyway. The Komz models are wider but have less pincushioning than the Japanese binos.
But as far as I can tell -- all the Japanese wide angles from the 70's or thereabouts have a very uniform increase towards the edge. Which makes their panning behaviour much more civilized compared to something like a Kowa BDII -- unless you pan up and down a lot which makes the edges of the FoV bend upwards and downwards. But from side to side -- they are really nice. It seems there is always some compromise involved.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back