• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommend an eyepiece for my new PF-65ED (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading the forums here, and the discussions convinced me that the PF-65ED was the best price/performance package out there. So I just bought one today!! :bounce:

I was doubly pleased when I found an angled body with case for only $420 on eBay (it's listed at around $550 most places online). For any of you considering the purchase, the seller is called "topcameras" and their eBay store has the PF-65ED-A for that wonderfully low price, with free shipping. They also have an outstanding feedback rating of 99.5% positive.

As far as I'm concerned, buying an ED Pentax scope for $20 more than I would pay for the Eagle Optics Raven is just an unbeatable deal.

Now, the reason I was drawn to this deal is that I can't afford to spend $1000+ on a top-notch scope. I'm pretty much at the limits of my budget after spending the $420 on the scope, but the ability to "cheap out" on the eye piece for now but still be able to upgrade to a high-end eyepiece (as opposed to buying a whole new scope) in the future was a huge draw of the Pentax also.

So, the question:

If you could recommend one 1.25" eyepiece, for less than $50, for me to get for the Pentax PF-65ED-A, what would it be?

I am aware that I'm not going to be getting the best optics, I just want something that will get me by and allow me to enjoy my scope until I can afford the good stuff.

I know there are some old threads about this, but many of them are several months old (or more) and I am just curious if there's anything new out there. I am assuming I'll probably have to get a fixed-eyepiece at this price point -- in that case, I'd like something in the 30X - 40X neighborhood.

Links to the vendors are also much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!!

eitanaltman said:
Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading the forums here, and the discussions convinced me that the PF-65ED was the best price/performance package out there. So I just bought one today!! :bounce:

I was doubly pleased when I found an angled body with case for only $420 on eBay (it's listed at around $550 most places online). For any of you considering the purchase, the seller is called "topcameras" and their eBay store has the PF-65ED-A for that wonderfully low price, with free shipping. They also have an outstanding feedback rating of 99.5% positive.

As far as I'm concerned, buying an ED Pentax scope for $20 more than I would pay for the Eagle Optics Raven is just an unbeatable deal.

Now, the reason I was drawn to this deal is that I can't afford to spend $1000+ on a top-notch scope. I'm pretty much at the limits of my budget after spending the $420 on the scope, but the ability to "cheap out" on the eye piece for now but still be able to upgrade to a high-end eyepiece (as opposed to buying a whole new scope) in the future was a huge draw of the Pentax also.

So, the question:

If you could recommend one 1.25" eyepiece, for less than $50, for me to get for the Pentax PF-65ED-A, what would it be?

I am aware that I'm not going to be getting the best optics, I just want something that will get me by and allow me to enjoy my scope until I can afford the good stuff.

I know there are some old threads about this, but many of them are several months old (or more) and I am just curious if there's anything new out there. I am assuming I'll probably have to get a fixed-eyepiece at this price point -- in that case, I'd like something in the 30X - 40X neighborhood.

There are others on this board that can give much better advice than myself, but after reading every post I decided to try the Owl Services EWA series.

http://www.owlastronomy.com/exwide.htm

If I were to only order one, I would get the 20mm. I also purchased the 15mm and 9mm and feel like they are a bargain for the price.

I also have the Pentax SMC zoom and I can't tell it's really any better.

Good luck,

Jerry

If you want a cheap zoom eyepiece you should check out the seben zooms on e-bay. Between $50-70 for a 8-24mm. Not a great eyepiece but pretty good value and perfectly useable. I have one. It's ok and will certainly do a job until you can upgrade.

Scopetronix also do a 7-21mm one for about $70. I haven't tried this one.

I tried a Owl Services 20mm also from e-bay but it had a few speckles inside. I tried to take it apart to clean it with disastrous results. Before I destroyed it the view wasn't bad.

What about these?

Browsing the Scope City website, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these:

1. Celestron X-Cel 8mm - For a high-power eyepiece, this one has pretty excellent eye-relief (20mm) and a solid AFOV of 55-degrees. It also uses ED glass for somes of the lenses, and is only $65. The X-Cel comes in a bunch of sizes and they all have that 20mm eye-relief:

http://scopecity.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=1572

2. Meade Series 4000 QX 15mm wide-angle 1.25" - This one looks decent ($150 list, but on sale for $80), similar to the other wide-angles but it has a 70-degree AFOV:

http://scopecity.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=1939

Thanks!

Zooms...

While I'm assuming I'll get more optical bang-for-the-buck with fixed eyepieces, what about these two zooms:

The Scopetronix 7-21mm (suggested above) at $60

vs.

The Orion Explorer II 7-21mm, also $60

And, is it even worth getting a cheap zoom, or is my assumption above correct and I'd be better off with two cheap fixed-mag EPs?

Thanks again!

Sout Fork said:

Quick question: Orion doesn't list the eye relief on their site for these pieces (other than saying in the description that they range from 13-17mm).

Would I be correct in assuming that the respective eye relief is the same as with Knight Owls? In other words, does that 15mm Expanse have only 13mm eye relief?

Is there any reason why the 15mm EP has such short eye relief? It's much shorter than the 9mm or even the 6mm....

eitanaltman said:
Hi all,

So, the question:

Hi there...TRY www.agenaastro.com .they are very nice AND profesional ,they sale the SUPERVIEW,WA SERIES ,VERY AFFORDABLE,I RECOMMEND THE 20 MM.....(FOR THE EYERELIEF)..THEY EVEN HAVE SOME ,CLOSEOUTS/SECONDS..AND YOU CAN GET ONE FROM THEM AS LOW AS 25$???..A BARGAIN ,AND DEFINITELY A VERY USABLE EP THAT WOULD GET YOU GOING!!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back