• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Used Gems (1 Viewer)

compactquery

I hope you can help.

I am interested in buying a compact binocular that I can carry daily. I don't know a huge amount about binoculars, but I do have a general interest in optics as a result of photography and astronomy - own some good camera glass, and a basic newtonian reflector.

In my experience of photography, there can be some great examples in the second-hand market and this is usually the most appropriate place for a beginner to start. Please can you let me know if this is a sensible approach for binoculars and furthermore, if there are any major developments akin to film versus digital that I should be aware of when trawling the classifieds? My current thought was something like a Leica/Leitz 8x20 Trinovid.

Thanks.

Michael

Welcome Michael,

The above 2 suggestions are both very good places to go and try some binoculars out, the Leica Trinovid compact is a very good choice, I used a friends one and was very impressed, but I agree, it is best to have a look through some different makes and models to see what you personally prefer. Don't buy, go try out the ones you have in mind, go away, think on it, then have a look around the used market and that well known online auction site to see if you can find what you want.

Greetings. Your current choice of Leica Trinovid 8x20 will do the trick, particularly if: a) it is the BCA model, and b) recent production. The former feature will enable you to use your pairs in adverse weather condition (not waterproof, but spray-proof), and b) later-years coating will offer you more the lovely Leica colors and contrast we all know. The waterproof Ultravid model will offer you marginally brighter image; I have it and very happy with. However, I found the view with the Trinovid equally pleasing enough at a lower cost; since you a photographer, it is akin to under exposing an E-6 slide film by third or half a stop to enhance color saturation. I am sure that you can find both models in the used market. Enjoy in good health.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back