• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

feeder types (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

I bought one feeder, hummzinger type, with the perch surrounding. I had, much success, and after reading about, and observing male territorialism, I decided to get more feeders, of the same type.

I live in a Senior Apartment Complex, that is a semicircle on the river, with everyone having a deck, over the water, and a good view of one another, as well. Now, others have begun putting out feeders, which is very nice.

The problem, (if it is a problem), is that none of the other feeders are the hummzinger type. I have newcomers all the time, that can't figure out how to use my feeders. They fly around the bottoms, trying to put their little bills into feeding stations that don't exist.

My visits have radically decreased. Am I going to have to buy new feeders, or just wait for Spring? Our Anna's are year round, and I'm wondering if that's the real deal.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thank you

Dan

One advantage of the hummzinger style is that the bird can perch and expend a lot less energy while it's drinking, so this will make your feeder more attractive to some birds. It does take a little longer for the birds to figure out how to use it, but they will probably learn from watching each other.

I suspect that the real problem here is that there are a lot of feeders out and a relatively small number of birds in the area to use them. It's your choice as to whether to keep the feeder up or take it down until spring, but after the spring migration you shouldn't have any problem attracting visitors. If you put up a second feeder in a different style, you can satisfy all preferences.

Thank you, tielfan. You would be amazed at the amount of birds, especially hummingbirds, that we have here. 30 feet from my window is a 30' tall tree, that has red leaves in the Spring. The Hummers pop in and out of it, like bees on a hive. It's really fabulous. I do get birds that feed, even now. I think the more feeders, the better it is generally, for the population. So, I'm probably just spoiled from all the Autumn activity, and if i inspired others to put out more feeders, then that's a good thing.

Thanks again

Dan

I use only hummzingers. I have 5 feeders throughout my yard with hummingbirds visiting year-round (Anna). I am assuming you know the mixture ratio of water to sugar which is inscribed in all but the fancy models of hummzingers. But just in case it is 4 parts tap water to one part sugar. A little more or less is fine. You should be using only white table sugar (cane, though beet sugar will work). I have found hummingbirds easily adapt to feeders no matter what the style. It may be a case where your visitors are used to a particular model (e.g. Perky Pet) in it feeding territory and now have to figure out how to get at the nectar from your hummzingers. They will figure it out soon enough.

Just a thought about the 'Perky Pet' 6 port jobs. They are used from Central America to Alaska. I personally feel that hummers recognize them as a species. Then again - I did drugs in college. Anyway, you don't have to fill them up all the way. Easy to clean. And familiar to those on the run.

Interesting to consider how much the hummers think about various feeder types and how to use them. Don't know if you all saw this article link, but it seems to indicate that the birds have the brain power to figure out how to use new food sources.

thanks for that link - I'm thinking as neat as I try to be, there is probably a thin bit of sugar around on the outside of the feeders, that some of the hummers just like

Drugs in Paradise? I don't believe it. I think that's a perfectly feasible theory, but then again, I watch the astro-physics shows on the science channel.

thanks for that link - I'm thinking as neat as I try to be, there is probably a thin bit of sugar around on the outside of the feeders, that some of the hummers just like

One of the male Anna's here, the one who has been here since August, checks out the crack where the plastic feeder snaps together, as if it leaks a bit there. He does this frequently before he dips his bill the regular way.
He seems not to like to dip too far. I have one egg shaped feeder with no perch that is very shallow with no dipping the beak required that he seems to favour though he doesn't seem to get enough and he does drink from the regular feeder as well.
My daughter, a glass blower, made a feeder last year with marvelous fanciful flowers with wide tubes going into the reservoir and he avoids the flowers and drinks from the edge where he can get in at the side of the flower tube.

The female, however, uses it the 'proper' way.

They sure do have personal preferences!

PS
For humans, sugar is an addictive drug; another white death powder!

Attachments

• 12-31-2015.jpg
    12-31-2015.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 01-01-2012_162215(20).JPG
    01-01-2012_162215(20).JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hummingbirds use all types of feeders. It is often us humans who have a preference. Some are easier to clean etc. To be honest, when I got my hummzinger it quickly became the favorite of my hummingbirds. I did place in the back of the house.This may have made a difference for the birds. All my feeders are busy but this one was found and used immediately. I do believe that hummingbirds enjoy perches.The hummzinger has a built in ant moat which is great. Ants are a prime reasons hummingbirds stay away from some feeders. I agree that hummingbirds are very smart. They have the largest brain of any bird for its size. So I think they easily figure out any feeder. The nectar must be fresh too. Anyone who feeds hummingbirds needs to change the un-used nectar every few days. http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummzinger-ultra-feeder-review.html

"So I think they easily figure out any feeder."

LOL Not always. It took the young male a while to find the easiest way to use the home made unit. But I was adjusting the cover over it and he came and fed while I had a hand on top and beside. He used the right portal I noticed, at last, after 2-3 months but he always had another feeder to use, as well. The females found it right away.
That feeder didn't come easy as there is a baby in the family now with time scarce. I applied some wire to the tubes of the flowers to give them a perch which the females use more regularly than he who thrums the air as he feeds. A treat to see and hear so close up.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back