• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

Another plea - record submission

I have also been involved in the discussions with Dave & Jacquie (and Andy) about record submission and thought I might add some additional comments and reiterate Andy's plea for your help.

At the moment, Dave & Jacquie are drowning under the weight of records submitted to them. It is great that so many people contribute - and really appreciated - but it creates a huge problem. At the moment, every record submitted in a format other than spreadsheet has to be input manually. With lots of people submitting annual reports, this is creating a truly gargantuan workload for the recorder(s) which is simply not sustainable. A way to solve this problem is desperately needed.

Dave & Jacquie do use bird recorder software, but it is assumed most people would not want to buy this. Far easier to put sightings into a generic spreadsheet, from where it can be uploaded automatically into their database. They are looking into making an optional spreadsheet template available online (if that would make it easier for some people to get started) and will even try to help anyone to use it if necessary. It is actually far easier to enter data into a basic spreadsheet than making up a table in a Word document and free spreadsheet programs are available.

So your help to try to make this work would be really appreciated. If there is anything else that can be done to make it easier, your suggestions would be very welcome.

I have also been involved in the discussions with Dave & Jacquie (and Andy) about record submission and thought I might add some additional comments and reiterate Andy's plea for your help.

At the moment, Dave & Jacquie are drowning under the weight of records submitted to them. It is great that so many people contribute - and really appreciated - but it creates a huge problem. At the moment, every record submitted in a format other than spreadsheet has to be input manually. With lots of people submitting annual reports, this is creating a truly gargantuan workload for the recorder(s) which is simply not sustainable. A way to solve this problem is desperately needed.

Dave & Jacquie do use bird recorder software, but it is assumed most people would not want to buy this. Far easier to put sightings into a generic spreadsheet, from where it can be uploaded automatically into their database. They are looking into making an optional spreadsheet template available online (if that would make it easier for some people to get started) and will even try to help anyone to use it if necessary. It is actually far easier to enter data into a basic spreadsheet than making up a table in a Word document and free spreadsheet programs are available.

So your help to try to make this work would be really appreciated. If there is anything else that can be done to make it easier, your suggestions would be very welcome.

Am I right in thinking that records submitted to the BTO's Birdtrack are forwarded on to the relevant County Recorder?

They are looking into making an optional spreadsheet template available online (if that would make it easier for some people to get started) and will even try to help anyone to use it if necessary.

There is an excel spreadsheet that has been made up for mammal records on the Norfolk & Norwich Naturalists Trust website. If it looks OK it would save making up another template - it can be found at http://www.nnns.org.uk/content/what-recording under the heading 'how to record'

Iceland Gull
Always distant, the Iceland Gull couldn't have picked a more inaccessible spot being just about halfway between Horsey and Winterton - the more savvy birders choosing to use pushbikes to get there! Also lone Wheatear at end of Nelson's Head track and 2 Black Redstarts in North Dunes. Rubbish record shot attached......

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 163
The bluetail was reported to us at Titchwell on Monday by a telephone caller. We passed the info on to the county recorders to follow up. That's all there is to know.

I find it astonishing that no more info has ‘leaked out’ on Sunday’s Bluetail- there’s not even much comment (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=254578). It’s not as if they’re regular in the UK in Spring (five or so records, I believe) and, if the record is genuine, would be the first record in this season in County.

Does no-one know any more ?

Whilst I can see the immediate benefits of this for the recorders, those who bought a PC with basic software may not be able to do this. I know that I had to ask for this to be included, so I could do stuff for work (I should have claimed)- and had to pay extra for an enhanced package, when I had my PC built.

In addition, Excel is not the easiest software for the computer semi-illiterate to use. Perhaps, Word in ‘Table’ format would be a suitable substitute (?)- and easily transferable to Excel.

It is an astonishing lump, The Bump. I made my ascent beyond first base camp, then second, searching all the way, when I could see some birders on the distant summit. Fortunately, one began to descend, so I waited. He had had no luck.

As we reached the parking area, the Black Redstart briefly appeared on a roof, then flitted about the Pitch & Putt course- it’s not really Beeston Bump, but still in Sheringham. Obviously, it’s best to go when people are not attempting to emulate Tiger Woods. On second thoughts, perhaps that should be Rory McIlroy !

Sadly the LEO I stumbled upon (Not literally, no people or owls were hurt in the stumble) seems now to have departed, but kindly allowed this final shot as I sat photographing Yellowhammers.
A Red Kite over Wells yesterday was a nice surprise and would have given decent views were it not for a "youth" right up my tail, not allowing me to stop.

Local patch gave up 2 Chiffchaff on Sunday and 2 Med Gulls flying over were new for me there. A pair of Bullfinch in the garden this morning was a garden first too.

Attachments

• LEO.jpg
    LEO.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 149
Bird Records

Am I right in thinking that records submitted to the BTO's Birdtrack are forwarded on to the relevant County Recorder?

The BTO's birdtrack is an excellent way of keeping your bird records and can be used to report birds wherever you are in the country. The best thing about using this system is that its simple to export your records out of birdtrack straight into a spreadsheet which can then be used for the Norfolk Bird report on a monthly basis.

The BTO's birdtrack is an excellent way of keeping your bird records and can be used to report birds wherever you are in the country. The best thing about using this system is that its simple to export your records out of birdtrack straight into a spreadsheet which can then be used for the Norfolk Bird report on a monthly basis.

Makes sense, Ron.

Is it really necessary to send records to both bodies?

I am guilty of only sporadically submitting records to Birdtrack, but when you throw in Dragonfly, Butterfly and Mammal records to begin with, one can feel a little overwhelmed. Not sure there is an answer, since all groups work hard and warrant our records.
Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim.

In an early foray, WRunton produced 3 Wheatears in the field to the W of the beach car park.

The Black Redstart came and went at the Pitch&Putt, at the western approaches to Beeston Bump. I can visualise a Red-throated Pipit here, before the disturbances (dog-people, ramblers, clubbing-people) begin in earnest.

The bluetail was reported to us at Titchwell on Monday by a telephone caller. We passed the info on to the county recorders to follow up. That's all there is to know.

Many thanks for this, Rob.

The question, nonetheless, remains. With no other information forthcoming more than five days after the event, and in our world of instant e-comms, it is difficult to have a firm belief in the veracity/accuracy of this record. The latest attempted (photographic) hoax of Golden-crowned Sparrow is just another, in a whole train, of examples of people wishing to ‘muddy our waters’.

At least- and fortunately- from what we have been told above, it doesn’t appear to be yet another case of (local) suppression of a great bird, viewable from a public footpath, that many others could easily have seen.

Hi John

Unfortunately I didn't take the call so couldn't quiz the finder and I don't know who released the news to RBA. If it were the county recorders, and I don't know whether it was, one could assume they were sufficiently convinced by the finders description to feel confident in releasing the news. Ultimately it's up to others to follow these sightings up and its a shame if people don't because of past hoaxes etc. It was an old birding friend of mine that 'found' the Staffs nutcracker back in 1991 by following up a report of a brown spotty bird from a local dog walker. There would be quite a few birders still needing nutcracker if he hadn't have taken a punt on what was an even longer shot than a spring bluetail in Norfolk!

All the best

Rob

In an early foray, WRunton produced 3 Wheatears in the field to the W of the beach car park.

The Black Redstart came and went at the Pitch&Putt, at the western approaches to Beeston Bump. I can visualise a Red-throated Pipit here, before the disturbances (dog-people, ramblers, clubbing-people) begin in earnest.

Many thanks for this, Rob.

The question, nonetheless, remains. With no other information forthcoming more than five days after the event, and in our world of instant e-comms, it is difficult to have a firm belief in the veracity/accuracy of this record. The latest attempted (photographic) hoax of Golden-crowned Sparrow is just another, in a whole train, of examples of people wishing to ‘muddy our waters’.

At least- and fortunately- from what we have been told above, it doesn’t appear to be yet another case of (local) suppression of a great bird, viewable from a public footpath, that many others could easily have seen.

So I've set up an account, Andy@Norf_Viz_Mig on Twitter. I've never 'tweeted' in this medium before (as opposed to trying to coax a autumn phylosc out of a bush!) so know not what I am doing yet!
I have posted a first tweet, refering to an hours watching before work this morning at Sidestrand. Having seen Archies post, further 'tweets' will be preceeded by #Norf_Viz_Mig. Lets see how it goes.
Andy

Stone Curlew south then east over the reserve followed by a Red Kite slowly drifting East from the West Bank. Several swallows as well.

Wonderful art exhibition currently in the old visitor centre, particularly the fungi artwork - worth a look.

Last edited:
So I've set up an account, Andy@Norf_Viz_Mig on Twitter. I've never 'tweeted' in this medium before (as opposed to trying to coax a autumn phylosc out of a bush!) so know not what I am doing yet!
I have posted a first tweet, refering to an hours watching before work this morning at Sidestrand. Having seen Archies post, further 'tweets' will be preceeded by #Norf_Viz_Mig. Lets see how it goes.
Andy

Tried to tweet, never done before, doesnt seem to have appeared anywhere but on my twitter, Andy?

Last edited:
Stone Curlew south then east over the reserve followed by a Red Kite slowly drifting East from the West Bank. Several swallows as well.

Wonderful art exhibition currently in the old visitor centre, particularly the fungi artwork - worth a look.

I'm presuming Cley?

Tried to tweet, never done before, doesnt seem to have appeared anywhere but on my twitter, Andy?

It won't. People who follow you will see it on their Twitter feed and also people who search Twitter for a term that is included in your tweets will see those tweets in their search.
Try following some people to see how it works.
Off the top of my head, good 'tweeters' in Norfolk are:
@NorfolkBirds (Norfolk records committee)
@NorfolkBirding (Chris Mills)
@BritishBirder (Graham Etherington)
@RareBirdAlertUK (RBA)
@Pennyshotbirdin (Penny Clarke)

I'm sure there are others that people will suggest.

#Norf_Viz_Mig up and running! loads of finches (majority Chaffinch) moving this morning with nearly 500e in an hr at Sidestrand and c2000 through Waxham.

andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back