• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Western France (1 Viewer)

Martin1989

Hi,

I found this Gull last Tuesday among a LBBG group.

The obvious bigger size of the gull stroke me, and made me think of GBBG, which is quite a rarity in my area. But there're some features that just don't fit, especially the bill which seems to weak to me.
So, my last ID was individual variation of LBBG.

Any thoughts on this one?
I've got other record shots if needed

Many thanks
Martin

Attachments

• Sans titre.jpg
    Sans titre.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 292
I'm not at ease with caspian on this one, scapular and coverts didn't look good, but i may be wrong, gulls are quite my nemesis ;)

A few new ones showing tail pattern and darker coverts

Attachments

• Sans titre 3.jpg
    Sans titre 3.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Sans titre2.jpg
    Sans titre2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 108
I think it is a GBBG. tertials fit, bill is growing, pale underparts and head. Same would apply only for a large male YLG and amount and pattern of replaced might indeed suggest this, but TT would be at odds.

As Lou mentioned, this could also a michahellis. I would vote for a large male YLG, based on the state of scapulars (they appear worn?) and coverts pattern. YLG can also have that much White in tertials

Hello,

Sorry for this late answer, just got back from a trip to spain!

Meanwhile, i asked one of my friend on this gull, which he transfered to one of his gull-lover friend, who stated the same ID as Lou: GBBG!

Cheers

It's a big boy, but the bill shape, tail pattern and pattern of greater coverts point to it being a Yellow-legged Gull nevertheless.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back