• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull - Lake Geneva, Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Hello,

One month ago, I saw this gull in Lake Geneva, Switzerland.

IMG_9243.jpegIMG_9239.jpegIMG_9234.jpegIMG_9206.jpegIMG_9198.jpeg

It was a second winter gull, as the tip of the tail was still very black. In this area, the most common species is the YLG. When I saw this one, it immediately looked different to neighboring YLG and for me, looked like a big male Caspian gull (it was actually bigger than YLGs). However, when I look at the pictures, I am more cautious; there is somethings which sounds wrong with a Caspian. I have experience with first winter and adult Caspians, but not much with 2nd winter ones.

Here is my analysis:

Arguments in favor of Caspian:

• The global shape/jizz: high chest, ventral bulge, receding forehead (but it depends of the picture; the last one shows a better jizz than previous ones)
  • Legs relatively long
  • Beak relatively long
  • Advanced plumage for a 2nd winter, especially in October: scapulars seem totally grey and coverts are also globally grey. However, the light and the distance did not allow to go into detail.
  • The tertiary pattern seems good for Caspian
  • Neck more striated than the area around the eye

Arguments against Caspian/for YLG:

• Beak and legs not that long (overlap possible with some YLG)
  • Beak fairly thick (but possible in male Caspians)
  • Primary projection short for a Caspian
  • More pronounced, coarser striations on the neck than in a typical Caspian, which has a more subtle pattern
  • The date is also quite early. Caspians gull become more common since November here, but are rare in October

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_9244.jpeg
    IMG_9244.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back