• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

#Males vs Females (1 Viewer)

kim ziegler

Curious. Up to 6 male Cardinals will be at my feeder at one time but only 2 females at the most. Has anyone info re: hatching & survival rates of males vs females?

Heres a synopsis for feeder study for a number of familiar passerines.Data is somewhat surprising.I seem to observe samething as you regarding northern cardinals.Have heard it suggested that because cards are strongly dichromatic ,there is natural tendency for most vividly marked to be in greatest numbers.Cant put up reference to support that contention.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/News/GenderGap.html

Male cardinals are dominant over females so maybe it's just a case of the males establishing a quasi-monopoly of the feeders?

This is hard to judge.

In Australia there was about 1 male Superb Fairy-wren in a group of about 9-13 females. With Magpie-larks it seemed to be 2:1 males to females.

In the US I see more male warblers (I've seen 8 Yellowthroat males compared to 0 females) but thats because females are very reclusive and skulky.

I've seen many female Red-breasted Mergansers but no males, and I've seen many male Hooded Mergansers but no females....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back