• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (11 Viewers)

Sep-tic

Sep-tic
No, somethings Not about to fall off.....

September ticks.
Just got the loan of a calculator, to work out how many birds ive spotted so far this month (special NASA-style calculator for especially large numbas)
122 seen on/around the local patch this month alone, from a patch year list of 157.

The Local Patch Sep-tics are:-
19/9 P.Flycatcher
18/9 M.Harrier
19/15/14/9 H.Buzzard x3
13/9 Ruff
8/9 Redstart
3/9 Gannet

Hope theres a few more to add......? Scaup is currently a Big . . Gap.

Last edited:
what about :t:

Brother Thrush, how you fly so high
Way up in the clouds
The trees resound with open arms
For one so rare
Brother Man just can't compare
When we're sitting on the banks
of the sunshine
We hear your song
High above the living
Brother gull, see him soar the sky
He's so pleased to be
Buoyant and triumphant
On the raging sea
Backing nature, feeling free
Loving nature, rest your head
Hear the message, man is dead
See the cities fall
While Brother Bird still.... flies!
Brother Lark, see him wake the day
See him fly on by
Above the streets now empty
To his mournful cry
Brother Man just heaves a sigh
of the sunshine
We hear your song
High above the living
Yes, we hear your song..

So, yes i do think you saw Mistle thrushes ! (ps were they singing ?)

Last edited:
Brother Thrush, how you fly so high
Way up in the clouds
The trees resound with open arms
For one so rare
Brother Man just can't compare
of the sunshine
We hear your song
High above the living
Brother gull, see him soar the sky
He's so pleased to be
Buoyant and triumphant
On the raging sea
Backing nature, feeling free
Loving nature, rest your head
Hear the message, man is dead
See the cities fall
While Brother Bird still.... flies!
Brother Lark, see him wake the day
See him fly on by
Above the streets now empty
To his mournful cry
Brother Man just heaves a sigh
of the sunshine
We hear your song
High above the living
Yes, we hear your song..

So, yes i do think you saw Mistle thrushes ! (ps were they singing ?)

Bravo, Steve bravo.:t:
Yeah they where singing I think.
But I can't remember it was 8:20am though.

Sep-tic
No, somethings Not about to fall off.....

September ticks.
Just got the loan of a calculator, to work out how many birds ive spotted so far this month (special NASA-style calculator for especially large numbas)
122 seen on/around the local patch this month alone, from a patch year list of 157.

Steve, I'm languishing (a languish I speak quite fluently :-O) on 101 for the month, and that's with the aid of a car!
Wasted yesterday watching paint dry at the Riverside, spent more time looking at the sky than the pitch!
Surprised at the numbers of Lesser Redpoll at Daisy Hill the other morning, they were everywhere, fifty being a conservative estimate.
Is it too early for 'Mealy' Redpoll as one looked a possible?

"But I can't remember it was 8:20am though."

dont ur memory cells power up before 10.30am ?!

It's 9:30 now and here I am.
Hello Woohorn like the name very convinient I am Foghorn Legh............. I mean Andrew Kinghorn and when your on your way to college and don't have a pair of bins it's quite tricky.:-O

It's 9:30 now and here I am.
Hello Woohorn like the name very convinient I am Foghorn Legh............. I mean Andrew Kinghorn and when your on your way to college and don't have a pair of bins it's quite tricky.:-O

Its SEPTEMBER !
Dont go anywhere, or do anything without taking your bins out.....!

Some vis-migration this morning, but nothing too exciting...
CW has a new wader pool nr South Hetton with passage Ruff, Blackwit & Common Sand this morning.

Steve, I'm languishing (a languish I speak quite fluently :-O) on 101 for the month, and that's with the aid of a car!
Wasted yesterday watching paint dry at the Riverside, spent more time looking at the sky than the pitch!
Surprised at the numbers of Lesser Redpoll at Daisy Hill the other morning, they were everywhere, fifty being a conservative estimate.
Is it too early for 'Mealy' Redpoll as one looked a possible?

a HB went over towards the cricket at 4:30ish............

L.Redpoll still clinging on as a breeder at DHill, but birds have been on the move (vi-mig) for past fortnight (b4 that hadnt had any Ho'ton since spring)
Dont know much 'bout Mealies or where they come from - maybe one to ask on the "other channel". But annual records in winter from DHill/Waldridge.

PS. Sell the car ;)

a HB
PS. Sell the car ;)

eeee these people with bikes sometimes miss the best bird of the day!;):-O
ps. Have a good day out Steve, let me kno if ya see any Honey Buzzards I have to go with mar and par to Hawick for the day, am gutted cos Ian and Davie asked if I wanted to come birding. lol It's just not my day today.

eeee these people with bikes sometimes miss the best bird of the day!;):-O
ps. Have a good day out Steve, let me kno if ya see any Honey Buzzards I have to go with mar and par to Hawick for the day, am gutted cos Ian and Davie asked if I wanted to come birding. lol It's just not my day today.

plenty too see up at hawick we go loads. its got great riverside park and osprey only a couple of miles away this time last year you should get crossbill as well ..wish we were going:t:

plenty too see up at hawick we go loads. its got great riverside park and osprey only a couple of miles away this time last year you should get crossbill as well ..wish we were going:t:

Hi Will and Bill I am Andrew by the way, Hillary know me, pleased to meet you, I think you where on the DBC field trip I am the guy with the RSPB Scope and was chattin to Hillary
Yeah It's a shame cos when in Hawick I am going to my Dar's freinds house, might see a buzzard If I am fortunate.
I have seen loads like:-O

Hi Will and Bill I am Andrew by the way, Hillary know me, pleased to meet you, I think you where on the DBC field trip I am the guy with the RSPB Scope and was chattin to Hillary
Yeah It's a shame cos when in Hawick I am going to my Dar's freinds house, might see a buzzard If I am fortunate.
I have seen loads like:-O

Andrew..get your brain in gear;) we met at houghton quarry looking for barnys a few weeks ago .hillary? you as per has lost me there:-O never been on any field trips.. when you get to your dads freinds house GO FOR A WALK;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back