• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (38 Viewers)

Andrew..get your brain in gear;) we met at houghton quarry looking for barnys a few weeks ago .hillary? you as per has lost me there:-O never been on any field trips.. when you get to your dads freinds house GO FOR A WALK;)

Ha ha Opens the door "Can we go for a walk" :-O
It's my Dad's day so I better keep it nice for him. He's not into birding. Exept he showed much interest in Golden Eagles.

Been away for two weeks to sunny Mallorca so we missed out on most of the mirgant influx.

First time out was this afternoon. Excellent views of a juvenile Hobby at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park around the main pond area. It was mostly hawking dragonflies which were in abundance today.

Small flocks of Swallows and House Martin around as well.

Zinc Works Road migrant bushes held singles of Spotted Flycatcher and a female Common Redstart. Kestrel x2 and Goldfinch 200+ over Seaton Common.

Photos: 1.-3. Hobby - 4. Spotted Flycatcher - 5. Kestrel

Attachments

• IMG_1591bo.JPG
    IMG_1591bo.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1580ao.JPG
    IMG_1580ao.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1536ao.JPG
    IMG_1536ao.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1644ao.JPG
    IMG_1644ao.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1655ao.JPG
    IMG_1655ao.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 80
Hetton Boggs

A few from the boggs today:
Most of the regular Tits, a brief visit from the kingfisher, wren, chaffinch, 5 reed buntings but no sign of the rails.
Loads of common darters about and at least 2 hawkers.

Attachments

• _MG_0160.jpg
    _MG_0160.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_0181.jpg
    _MG_0181.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_0201.jpg
    _MG_0201.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_0207.jpg
    _MG_0207.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_0276.jpg
    _MG_0276.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 62
Been away for two weeks to sunny Mallorca so we missed out on most of the mirgant influx.

First time out was this afternoon. Excellent views of a juvenile Hobby at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park around the main pond area. It was mostly hawking dragonflies which were in abundance today.

Zinc Works Road migrant bushes held singles of Spotted Flycatcher and a female Common Redstart. Kestrel x2 and Goldfinch 200+ over Seaton Common.

WOW Ian like the Hobby pictures, really fantastic.:t:

1 hour well spent

a hour sky watching on top of silver hills 1 red kite 3 sparrowhawks 1 common buzzard heading due south and 4 kesys

Honey Buzzard Bonanza

and still they come...!

outnumbered somewhat by Common Buzzards today, but connected with 2HBs at Lambton Estates & Herrington CP.:t:

female Ruddy at Herrington & Dipper on the Wear at Lambton Bridge
SE

Honey Buzzard flew South today, over Horden Wlefare Park at approx. 3.15pm.
Juvenile Great Crested Grebe on Boldon Flats on 8th. September (have they been seen here before)?

question about hides and areas if I may

Hiya

I almost feel like an intruder in this thread since I am from abroad but I still try :)

Next week I will be heading for Seahouses where I will stay for a week. I have visited the area before and meanwhile also bought a book about the Northeast Coast and birding.

However.... browsing through the threads I come across a lot of areas that are visited often obviously and I have some questions if I may

I think Low Barns is interesting, but I think it will close soon during the weekdays. Is it still worthwile to go there?

Hetton Bogs seems interesting and I read that there is a hide as well. Could anybody tell me please where I can find the hide?

Cowpen Bewley was mentioned in the thread a few times. Interesting enough this season?

I would love to see Kingfisher, Dippers etc. Preferably from a hide. Are there any other interesting sites that are easy to explain to me? I am still reading the book ofcourse, but I would highly appreciate your help and suggestions as well.

Does anyone use a foldable hide to wait for birds and mammals?

Thanks very much and keep birding :)

Hiya

I almost feel like an intruder in this thread since I am from abroad but I still try :)

Next week I will be heading for Seahouses where I will stay for a week. I have visited the area before and meanwhile also bought a book about the Northeast Coast and birding.

However.... browsing through the threads I come across a lot of areas that are visited often obviously and I have some questions if I may

I think Low Barns is interesting, but I think it will close soon during the weekdays. Is it still worthwile to go there?

Hetton Bogs seems interesting and I read that there is a hide as well. Could anybody tell me please where I can find the hide?

Cowpen Bewley was mentioned in the thread a few times. Interesting enough this season?

I would love to see Kingfisher, Dippers etc. Preferably from a hide. Are there any other interesting sites that are easy to explain to me? I am still reading the book ofcourse, but I would highly appreciate your help and suggestions as well.

All of these places are well worth visiting, however they are a fair distance from where you are staying.
It might be better for you to stay in northumberland.
Everybody knows that the birding in northumberland is better than durham;);)
Holy island, cresswell, hauxley, duridge bay all really good places. I don't know anywhere that will give you views of dipper from a hide. There are good numbers in the rivers of northumberland national park, if you wanting photos a mobile hide might be the answer.

Had my first Hobby yesterday, funnily enough flying across the road leaving Cowpen Bewely CP, probably the one you have foetoed here :t:

Hiya

you will have to go to cresswell its buzzing at the moment and its got the hide but theres no kingfisher or dipper there but lots of other stuff. barn owl has been hunting at 1st light plus a few waders;)and otters
its going the be hard to get a kingfisher from any hide (long waits)and cant think of one hide where you will get dipper got a walk down a few rivers for them
holy island is also a must see teaming with birds
you will have a great time :t:

you will have to go to cresswell its buzzing at the moment and its got the hide but theres no kingfisher or dipper there but lots of other stuff. barn owl has been hunting at 1st light plus a few waders;)and otters
its going the be hard to get a kingfisher from any hide (long waits)and cant think of one hide where you will get dipper got a walk down a few rivers for them

Thanks! I was just reading the posts on the Northumbria birding sites and came across Cresswell Pond as well. I will look into that further. Thanks! I am just about to sort my birding images of last time.... and seeing my list of over 100 species, it should be great again!

Plenty of activity on the North Tees Marshes this morning but there seemed very few waders around - Ruff on Calor Gas Pool first thing. Main feature though were the geese with large number of Canada and Greylag and 30-40 Pink-footed arrving in small groups. One group had with them two Bar-headed Goose.

The Curlew Sandpiper had been at Greatham Creek again first thing but they'd moved off pretty quickly after high tide. Plenty of Redhsank there by the time I arrived plus Common Sandpiper down towards the Seal Sands hide. Also Greenshank x1 on Tidal Pool. A few Teal and Wigeon on the pool and a few Goldfinch, Linnet, Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipit on the pool margins. Two Swift and a few Swallow flew over.

No sign of the Hobby at Cowpen Bewley towards lunchtime but Jay and Kingfisher seen. Also Redpoll x3 flew over the scrapes by the old hide. Southern Hawker, Common Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter and a few Black Darter (a recent appearance here) on the scrapes. Emerald Dasmselfly, Blue-tailed and Azure also present still.

Attachments

• IMG_1666ao.JPG
    IMG_1666ao.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1677ao.JPG
    IMG_1677ao.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1707ao.JPG
    IMG_1707ao.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1817aoo.JPG
    IMG_1817aoo.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 103
Hi Mariette,
Hetton Bogs is possibly a little too far away for you to travel from Seahouses but if you wish to I'd be happy to arrange to meet up with you and show you the Bogs feeding station.
(I'm one of the two guys who created it)
Just drop me a PM or email.

Hi Will & Bill - i was at Cresswell hide on Saturday and saw a Kingfisher, i was sat at the right hand side of hide and the Kingfisher was perched on partially hidden log at about the 2 O'clock position when looking out of the side and front window. According to other birders who were there, they said it kept visiting earlier in the day also, i saw it approx 1.30. It was too far for a photograph even at 550mm.

Zinc Road and Cowpen Bewley

How nice it was to be out this morn - with that weird red thing in the sky. Went to South Gare 1st off but they had closed the road off so nipped back over to the north side. I finally saw a Honey Buzzard too - as I was sat in Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park waiting for a Hobby. No luck on the latter though - did see a nice Spotted Flycatcher there too. A number of Kestrels on the Zinc Road too.

Attachments

• spotted-flycatcher6web.jpg
    spotted-flycatcher6web.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Kestrel3web.jpg
    Kestrel3web.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Kestrel4bweb.jpg
    Kestrel4bweb.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 81
flock of geese flying in a "V" over grange villa at 4.43pm heading towards waldridge fell way...not sure what tipe geese thay were..making lots of noise...

flock of geese flying in a "V" over grange villa at 4.43pm heading towards waldridge fell way...not sure what tipe geese thay were..making lots of noise...

flock of Pink feet south offf the coast this afternoon

very cool on the coast in a NE breeze & a few spots of rain
only obvious migrants were Spot & Pied Fly in a sheltered spot, a few Robins & Song Thrushes in too....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back