• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice on best quality and optics, please. (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

So I have decided against the Nikon Premier SE 10 x 42, as I see they are a close focus of 16 feet! Thats just not acceptable for me, as I like to view
birds on the back porch that are very close.

So, I am looking at the Alpen Wings ED 10 x 42 and was wondering if any folks
here own them, tested them, or have thoughts about their optics and build
quality??

I also have to tell you I have limited choices since I have somewhat close set
eyes and need a bino with a minimum IPD of 56mm. Two binos that I would love to own I have scratched off my list....the Pentax DCF SP and the Vortex
Viper..its too bad because I love the feel and quality of these two, but at a 58 IPD, they both DO NOT work for me

How would the Alpen Wings compare to, say, the Nikon Monarch ATB 10 x 42??

I would really appreciate all your expert advice! Can you also recommend other binos with a minimum 56 IPD??

Thanks!

Last edited:
If your personal IPD is 56 mm it would be an advantage if the bin went lower than this for close distance viewing.
The 10x40 Zeiss Conquest and 10x42 Zeiss Victory FL go down to 54 mm with minimum close focus of 3 m and 2 m respectively.

John

I have the 8x42 ED Alpen Wings binos and they are much better than the Nikon Monarchs. I also have the 8x42 Alpen Apex and feel that it is better than the Monarchs as well. I did a little mini review on the 8x42 ED's when I first got them as they are quite impressive:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=198718

I guess I am curious why you want 10x42 since you say you are viewing on the back porch. While I have some 10x42's, I hardly ever use them for any type of viewing around the house or yard, and tend to use them more at the seashore wildlife areas where the view gets a lot longer.

Tom

Last edited:
Agree with Tom. Any decent, inexpensive 6 x 30/32 or 8 x 30/32 should be enough for keeping near your window to look at the back porch and yard. They usually have nice wide fields of view too. Leupold Yosemites come to mind and there are others around $100.

Bob

PS: Then again if you use a 10x at that short distance you will have a very narrow depth of field. The front of the bird might be in focus and the back of it not in focus. 6x or 7x bins are best at those short distances. Longer DOF and wider FOV.

Last edited:
Backyard viewing is just some of my usege....others would be general use, sporting events,
long distance nature viewing, etc.

Backyard viewing is just some of my usege....others would be general use, sporting events,
long distance nature viewing, etc.

I couldn't even imagine using a 10x bino for concerts and particularly for sporting events. The depth of field would be extremely limiting, not to mention the much smaller FOV. For sporting events/concerts I generally use my 7x26 Customs for the much greater DOF.

I see that you need a narrow IPD bino and the 8x42 ED Wings have a minimum IPD of 52mm which is the advertised spec, and thats what they actually measure.

Tom

Don't know about the new Yosemite but the old model, designed to be used by children among others had a narrow IPD.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back