• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultavid HD Plus 10 x 42 vs Nikon EDG II 10 x 42 (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

Anyone here own both or have experience handling and using both the Leica Ultravid HD Plus and the Nikon EDG II? Which is the better choice for build quality, image quality and comfort of eye cups and very importantly ergonomics and comfort in the hands? I know the EDG II are discontinued, but I may have the opportunity to purchase a lightly used
10 x 42. This really seems like an apple to apple comparison as far as price point, and I look forward to your thoughts.

I am an eyeglass wearer, but I have thin lens and sit close to my face, so even though the Ultravid 10 x 42 is 16mm eye relief, should be fine. Plus, I dont use my glasses all the time anyway when using the binoculars.

Thanks
Michael

Michael,

For starters you could go to the Allbinos website and look under 10X42 ratings, it could give you some info between the two, it is not definitive, but it should give you some perspectives of both glass.

Michael,

For starters you could go to the Allbinos website and look under 10X42 ratings, it could give you some info between the two, it is not definitive, but it should give you some perspectives of both glass.
Ok, I will check that out. I am familiar with that site.

Hi,

Anyone here own both or have experience handling and using both the Leica Ultravid HD Plus and the Nikon EDG II? Which is the better choice for build quality, image quality and comfort of eye cups and very importantly ergonomics and comfort in the hands? I know the EDG II are discontinued, but I may have the opportunity to purchase a lightly used
10 x 42. This really seems like an apple to apple comparison as far as price point, and I look forward to your thoughts.

I am an eyeglass wearer, but I have thin lens and sit close to my face, so even though the Ultravid 10 x 42 is 16mm eye relief, should be fine. Plus, I dont use my glasses all the time anyway when using the binoculars.

Thanks
Michael
Unfortunately I can’t give you advice on the 10x , but I’ll share my experience having both in the 8x side by side. First off let me say that it has been determined by Nikon UK that the EDG is still being produced and available for purchase by multiple dealers. They’re also available, new in the box from multiple Japanese dealers on the bay.

I can tell you that optically these are on the same level and have a slight similarity in color rendition, The Nikon a little bit more to the red spectrum to me. I’m a Leica fan boy , so for me I would lean towards the Ultravid, but because there is a Noctivid ,I would go that route considering we’re not too far off in price.

But I’ll stick to the Ultravid vs EDG comparison. The EDG’s has a very flat field because of the field flattener , therefore it is very sharp almost to the very edge and with no panning issues (like Swaro EL & Zeiss SF) quite amazing. The Ultravids on the other hand has more of a curved field with a little distortion, but this design gives it a very immersive image quality, which Leica people love. Both binoculars have great resolution, are sharp and bright and snap right into focus.

The focuser on the EDG is second to none, smooth , buttery, just so nice to use. The Ultravid focuser is nice but different, not as fluid as the Nikon but still excellent. Build quality on these two are among the top five best binoculars in the world, no issues there. I would say that the Leica is built a little bit more elegantly, it’s classy, has better tactile feel to its build. The Nikon has more thick rubber , feels more utilitarian and rugged. Its like comparing Mercedes to Range Rover.

With my experience with both 8x42’s and having used a 10 x 42 Ultravid, I think it would be safe to say that these traits would apply to the 10x in both the Nikon and Leica as well. It may come down to , do you like a more flat two dimensional field or a more curved immersive image. This is a very tough choice because I lean towards Leica, so if this was my choice I would just go the Noctivid route, to me that gives me the best of both worlds.

Paul

Unfortunately I can’t give you advice on the 10x , but I’ll share my experience having both in the 8x side by side. First off let me say that it has been determined by Nikon UK that the EDG is still being produced and available for purchase by multiple dealers. They’re also available, new in the box from multiple Japanese dealers on the bay.

I can tell you that optically these are on the same level and have a slight similarity in color rendition, The Nikon a little bit more to the red spectrum to me. I’m a Leica fan boy , so for me I would lean towards the Ultravid, but because there is a Noctivid ,I would go that route considering we’re not too far off in price.

But I’ll stick to the Ultravid vs EDG comparison. The EDG’s has a very flat field because of the field flattener , therefore it is very sharp almost to the very edge and with no panning issues (like Swaro EL & Zeiss SF) quite amazing. The Ultravids on the other hand has more of a curved field with a little distortion, but this design gives it a very immersive image quality, which Leica people love. Both binoculars have great resolution, are sharp and bright and snap right into focus.

The focuser on the EDG is second to none, smooth , buttery, just so nice to use. The Ultravid focuser is nice but different, not as fluid as the Nikon but still excellent. Build quality on these two are among the top five best binoculars in the world, no issues there. I would say that the Leica is built a little bit more elegantly, it’s classy, has better tactile feel to its build. The Nikon has more thick rubber , feels more utilitarian and rugged. Its like comparing Mercedes to Range Rover.

With my experience with both 8x42’s and having used a 10 x 42 Ultravid, I think it would be safe to say that these traits would apply to the 10x in both the Nikon and Leica as well. It may come down to , do you like a more flat two dimensional field or a more curved immersive image. This is a very tough choice because I lean towards Leica, so if this was my choice I would just go the Noctivid route, to me that gives me the best of both worlds.

Paul
Paul,

That is a VERY detailed comparison! Thanks for your effort and thoughts! Which would have the better eye cups??

Paul,

That is a VERY detailed comparison! Thanks for your effort and thoughts! Which would have the better eye cups??
Eye cup comfort is about the same, the Leica has much firmer position settings, which I like. I believe both have about the same number of position settings, 3-4. The EDG has about the most comfortable eye box of most binoculars and right there with a swarovski EL’s. You just put these things up to your eyes and your in, there’s no moving them back-and-forth, in and out to find the right position, this is a little bit better than the Ultravid. But keep in mind I have no problem whatsoever with the Ultravid. The EDG does have a little bit more eye relief, but if you don’t wear glasses that wouldn’t matter and even if you do the both good.

Paul

Do remember that an EDG will likely have no US warranty and you may have trouble getting service at all if it ever needs it.

I have the EDGs in 10X42 and my preference would be them over the Leica UVHD 10X42. Just my subjective opinion. By the way never had an issue with my EDGs or HG/LX requiring service.

Why would they have no US warranty???
EDG’s are not sold in the states and Nikon USA will not service them from my understanding. If bought by authorized Nikon UK dealers, then they would need to be sent back to Nikon UK for any issues. If bought from some other source, like a Japanese dealer from the bay , is where it may be a problem if defects pop up or if repairs are needed.

I had a pair of 10x32 EDGs that I loved but they weren’t nearly as good in low light as as Conquest and Genesis 10x32s I compared them to. Ultimately their low light performance and relatively heavy weight were the reason I sold them. I’ve heard the same about low light performance in all the EDG models so if it is of importance to you then you might want the Leicas. Otherwise the nicest binos I’ve ever owned.

I had a pair of 10x32 EDGs that I loved but they weren’t nearly as good in low light as as Conquest and Genesis 10x32s I compared them to. Ultimately their low light performance and relatively heavy weight were the reason I sold them. I’ve heard the same about low light performance in all the EDG models so if it is of importance to you then you might want the Leicas. Otherwise the nicest binos I’ve ever owned.
The lack of low light performance is something I noticed as well in my 8x42. This is an interesting topic because I did read in one review this was a complaint against them. The interesting part is the transmission is very good and flat , so why are these not better performers In low light conditions?

I’ve searched this forum and couldn’t come up with anything. Maybe someone else has some knowledge on this shortfall. For me this is not a dealbreaker because they have such a nice rich image quality and are very easy on the eyes. These are probably my most comfortable binoculars, I can use these for hours and not get eye fatigue. But on very cloudy days or late in the afternoon I grab a different 8 x 42‘s, more than not I’ll actually grab a 7 x 42 in those conditions. There’s those pros and cons again.

Paul

The lack of low light performance is something I noticed as well in my 8x42. This is an interesting topic because I did read in one review this was a complaint against them. The interesting part is the transmission is very good and flat , so why are these not better performers In low light conditions?
This could be due to their high contrast crushing detail in darker areas.

I haven't given up on some new 7x42 EDG from Japan, I'm thinking of going for it. I know there's no warranty in the US and maybe no repair available - I think I don't care. I've never needed servicing of binos. My 8x42 Premier LX still look and function exactly as they did 13 years ago when new.

After comparing all the premium binoculars of today I find the Premier (HG) are still unmatched in viewing comfort at the eyepiece and also flatness of field and lack of distortion.

Coatings? Lens design?
I think it's due to the very saturated color rendering similar to the Noctivid, which also looks a bit darker than an SF, EL or NL.

The weakness of the EDG is imo the diopter compensation, which under certain circumstances tends to "move along".

Otherwise, the EDG are already great.

Andreas

I haven't given up on some new 7x42 EDG from Japan, I'm thinking of going for it. I know there's no warranty in the US and maybe no repair available - I think I don't care. I've never needed servicing of binos. My 8x42 Premier LX still look and function exactly as they did 13 years ago when new.

After comparing all the premium binoculars of today I find the Premier (HG) are still unmatched in viewing comfort at the eyepiece and also flatness of field and lack of distortion.
Im not to concerned either, there are a few good repair guys out there incase of some issues. My only worry is if parts are needed , then were you know what.. Im considering another EDG or two myself, I still may go the NikonUK route, not sure yet. Id have to see what some of those dealer prices are before id go to one of those non-authorized Japanese dealers. Im with you on the 7x42 and a 10x42.

Paul

Coatings? Lens design?
I think that's primarily due to coatings, possibly also to some degree glass types, not entirely sure -- coatings aren't just about transmission, but I'd be glad to have it explained better. Ultimately, just one more design compromise: do you want lovely contrast and saturation, or to see detail in shadow areas? In the end I suppose it's good to have choices.

Michael,
I agree with Paul’s summary on his 8x42s.
I own the 7x42 UVHD+ and 7x42 EDG-II. I also own the 10x42 EDG-II, but not the 10x42 UVHD+ (although I do have the 10x50 UVHD+).

In my 7x42 comparison of both, I think they stack up very well against each other. Both suppress glare very well, both have the warmer, saturated colors I like (maybe a little better in the Leica). Nikon focus may be a little smoother, but I can’t complain at all about the Leica’s focuser.
Nikon has a flatter image, but enough pincushion distortion to counteract any rolling ball effect. Leica “seems” a little more 3-D to me.

One thing that makes me lean Leica is the AFOV. It “feels” wider to me than the Nikon, even though they both have the same measured FOV in the 7x42 models (I think they’re the same in 10x42 As well). I’m not educated enough on the subject to to know why, but the ring around the field of view is thicker in the EDG-II than the UVHD+ (if that makes sense). The result is that the EDG-II has the “feel“ of a little more tunnel-vision than the Leica. It’s all subjective however and could be my brain playing tricks on me, because comparing the two back-to-back the FOV is identical. But the Leica just has a more relaxed view TO ME.
Whether this difference translates to the 10x42s, I can’t say for sure.

Comparing my Nikon 10x42 EDG-II to the 10x50 UVHD+ is a little unfair in order to answer your original question because of the larger FOV in the 10x50. But I do really like both.

Last edited:
One thing that makes me lean Leica is the AFOV. It “feels” wider to me than the Nikon, even though they both have the same measured FOV in the 7x42 models (I think they’re the same in 10x42 As well)
You're not imagining things. Reducing pincushioning leads to compression (AMD) around the edges which slightly diminishes the apparent FOV on the same real field.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back