• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2015 Binocular successes and flops..... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Hi!
WOW it was an intensive binocular year for me! I tried and/or bought a LOT of binoculars! Most performed as expected. But a few were overachievers while some didn't make the grade.

OVERACHIEVER

Leica Trinovid 10X42

DSC00536.JPG

All I can start out with is WOW! Don't read its "specs." You probably wouldn't buy them. Myself, LONG a "spec reader," read and hashed out the Leica specs for quite a while. At first glance, the specs aren't the best. Some binocular rating websites even rated the Trinovids pretty much mid-pack. But when the price dropped to $1249, I knew I needed to try them, and try them I did.

No longer did eye relief or FOV matter. Even close focus issues seemed to dwindle in importance. What I have right here is IMO the best thought out, best engineered binocular out there. Perfect eyecups, a diopter adjustment to die for, PRECISE focus, and optics equal to binoculars costing a grand more. All this wrapped up in a package that is the smallest in its class.

And NOW that this binocular is available several places for around 1000 bucks, it is most certainly the best $1000 binocular out there.

UNDERACHIEVER

Vortex Razor HD 10X42

DSC00543.jpg

This is Vortex's best binocular. Their advertisement states "packed with the best quality, hand-selected prisms and premium HD ultra-low dispersion glass available today. Nothing else comes close." Ok...so don't get me wrong, this is a fine binocular. If you ordered these as your only pair of binoculars OR a move up from your average $200 pair of binoculars, you'll really like them. BUT....if you have the Vortex Viper HDs OR the above Leica Trinovids which they are NOW more EXPENSIVE than...you'll be disappointed as I was.

DSC00544.JPG

Certainly not up to the Trinovid table, let alone the HT, SV, or UV table. The Razor HD isn't a bad binocular. It's a REALLY good one. But I find NOTHING that sets this binocular apart from Vortex's own Viper HD. Nada. Not optics. Not armoring. Not packaging. Not the binocular case. Not the warranty. Not dioper adjustment. Not eyecups. Not impressed. Not worth $1100.

What are YOUR successes/failures for 2015?

Chuck,

Very interesting to hear your take on these two. I thought pretty hard about the Razor 10x42, but wound up getting a used Ultravid HD (non plus) for a bit more than the Razor new. Given your experience with the Trinovid, perhaps I made the right choice. Should have them early this week.

What were some of the other bins you tried?

My own year of binocular wandering has taken me from an E.O. Ranger 10x42 to a) Sightron "Bluesky" 8x32, b) Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42, c) Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 (also used, a great purchase), and finally d) the Leica UV HD 10x42. I look forward to comparing the two 10x42s... I have a feeling I'll be standing pat for a while with the Conquest and the Leica; the Sightron I'll keep for car duty and the occasional loan.

Reading specs and reviews (and I've done that ad nauseam) only goes so far. Something can look great on paper--more than that, it can tick lots of boxes in the field (CA control, eye relief, width of field, flatness of field)--and yet not quite deliver the clarity and beauty of a first-rate binocular that, on paper, maybe does not tick all those boxes. I think that's part of your message, and I wholeheartedly agree.

--Geo.

After a long and winding road I found the best binocular I ever looked through thanks to Pileatus and a LOT of other fans of it on Bird Forum. There are still threads going on and on about it in the Swarovski forum. It combines a huge FOV for a 10x binocular with a 100% sharp FOV and tack sharp edges. No other binocular accomplishes that not even the Zeiss SF. It also has an easy relaxed view that I have never experienced before at 10x mostly due to the big 5mm exit pupil. It outperforms the Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX on the night sky but is 15 ounces lighter. So if you want one binocular for everything you are looking at it. It is a little heavier than a 10x42 but once you have used it for awhile you won't go back to a 42mm. The view and comfort is that much better. The difference between a 42mm and a 50mm is like moving from the 8x25mm CL-P Swarovski to the 8x32 SV Swarovision. It is absolutely stunning. My SV 8x32 gathers dust in the closet now although it is a fine binocular for it's aperture. All my porro's are gone including the Nikon 8x32 SE and Nikon 8x30 E2 and Swarovski Habicht 8x30. Although they were fine binoculars I preferred the view through this binocular. It controls CA very well and glare is not a problem. What is astounding about it is how up close and personal you feel with the bird. It is not a simple binocular using exotic fluorite glass and ten lenses in each barrel but it's performance is simple perfection and state of the art. You put it up to your eyes and it feels like you came home. The Swarovski Swarovision 10x50 SV.

Attachments

• 1302726949000_IMG_203495.jpg
    1302726949000_IMG_203495.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
My journey has me currently owning both the 10X50 and 8.5X42 SV, I prefer the 8.5 overall, but I don't disagree with those who choose the 10X50. No flops this year, but I will say that the 10X SF wasn't my cup of tea, I can see why people like them though. At some point I would like to see the Zeiss HT and the Leicas.

Last edited:
Good thread. I will of course nominate my Kowa 8x32 SV.

I've bought about 8 bins this year and I like them all. I did send back a few.

The Kowa is my CenterPoint bin. I have larger brighter bins, smaller more compact bins, bins with bigger and less magnification. More and less expensive bins and the Kowa SV is right there in the centre doing the majority of everything that I require and always, always, enjoyable and impressive to use and I'm not just talking about my bins from this year, I'm talking about over all the years I have been chopping and changing bins.

I just don't even really need any other bins in addition to this super little Kowa (or perhaps another spare) so it gets my nomination especially if you only want to spend under £200 instead of £2000 and want something light and relatively compact, very well built and very effective.

Attachments

• IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
It's interesting how people get along with a certain model while others don't. All opinions are valid since
it's about personal preference and taste. I've ordered Vipers twice before (no 10x), but returned them. They're nice and nothing wrong with them per se, but they just didn't fit well for me for some reason. However, I just love the 8x42 Razor I've tried at the store a few times. I like the view , but it's more the handling and feel for me. I've owned the same Trinovid in 8x42 and it's a nice bino. But, if given a choice between the Trinovid and Razor today, I'd grab the Razor.
But this is the 8x I'm talking about...don't know much about 10's which are a different animal. I've read so many reviews of Razor vs Trinovid and it seems to go back and forth ... both are nice binos really.

For 2015 I used an Opticron Countryman HD 8x42 which did very well for me...excellent resolution , small and lightweight. 2016 and beyond it will be my new Ultravid+ which is just awesome so far and the best bin I've ever had.

Last edited:
That Kowa SV is an attractive design...looks great in that photo.

Yes, it's not a catwalk bin with the other angles but I have no care because it's shape is functional in that it is great to hold and probably even better for smaller hands but you should recognise it from your earlier trial of one?

Actually it sort of has womanly curved hips so maybe that's why I like it 8-P

I normally use it with the eyecups folded right down to get that immersive feel and I don't wear glasses so it may not be that great if you do although it should be ok. I can also use it quite happily on the second click as shown in the photo and it does even have a third longer fully out setting but I have never bothered with that. If you are looking for a second bin to your new super bin then it might be worth having another look at what it is like now compared to the seemingly not very good one you experienced before.

I'm sure there are better bins out there but the little Kowa satisfies me very well and I should really wonder why I bought all the others or should perhaps sell some of them off but I do like some variety also and they are all very good in their way.

I must have really drenched this new monocular8-P

I have bought & sold so many used/new in 2015 but the sleeper I found and still have is the Opticron 7x36 BGA Classic. These may not fall in the same price category as the much more pricey Bin's mentioned but they do make me smile every time I put them to may face.

At OP: Very interesting take. I thought the Trinovid was a major underperformer and would gladly take either the Razor HD, Meopta Meostar HD, or Conquest HD over them.

The entire Maven line, B1, B2, and B3 are definite overachievers. In particular the B2. I owned all of the Swarovski's, still have the Mavens.

My SF 8x42 finally arrived this year but since I had tried pre-production models I was already familiar with it's spectacular field of view and bright sharp image.

A trip to the south of France in search of birds (of course) but also many different insects and flowers had me reaching for my Conquest HD 8x32 almost every day for its FOV and speed of focus which allowed me to get on nearby butterflies and dragonflies but still be able to quickly focus out for distant Rollers, Short-toed Eagles or Alpine Swifts etc.

This was an unexpected bonus for me so I will nominate Conquest HD 8x32 as my 2015 over-achiever.

Lee

I am very happy with the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 I purchased a few months ago. It is definitely a keeper and up till today when it got much colder I have kept it in my car without incident. One cold night did cause its focus wheel to stiffen up a bit so I have decided to bring it in at night until spring gets here.

It has unusually large and comfortable eye cups for a small binocular and its oculars have a wide diameter; wider than the diameter of the oculars on my wife's 8x30 CL Companion. The wide oculars probably are required for its very wide FOV and they do the job well.

I have seen no indication of the flare and glare it was criticized about when it first came out.

I suppose one could call it an over achiever because it does give the Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion a run for its money.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, it's not a catwalk bin with the other angles but I have no care because it's shape is functional in that it is great to hold and probably even better for smaller hands but you should recognise it from your earlier trial of one?

I do remember liking the aesthetics (what got me to try it in the first place) and feel in the hands.

Ugh...I can't spend anymore money and , even though 8x32 is still my fav format, I find full size binos
work better for me now that I wear glasses due to the larger exit pupil and usually longer eye relief...just my personal preference these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back