• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whale watching in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

TWM

Just been on 2 trips out of Mirissa with Blue Water Cruise----brilliant!! Even though my wife and I were the only people to turn up they still took us out on both days. The boat was large and comfortable and also one of the fastest.
On the first day it was quite rough with a large swell running but we still saw a Blue Whale and a large pod of Common and Spinner Dolphins. Today was calmer but still quite a big swell. We saw 3 Blue Whales and a Bryde's Whale, also 3 Green Turtles plus some Flying Fish.
A surprise bonus was a large number of Bulwer's Petrels (3 on the first day and at least 7 today).
The skipper was very respectful of the animal's space unlike some of the other idiots who were charging around like lunatics. ( I will name and shame later).

Raja and the Whales was quite good but the boat was a bit tired looking and was pretty full.
The real idiots were Mirissa Whale Explorers who really did not give a thought about the animals and actually drove through a pod of dolphins at full speed, their boat was also packed to the gunnels with passengers---they are probably one of the cheapest but if you care about the whales give this lot a wide berth.

Blue Water Cruises have just had the ultimate endorsement in the form of Hadoram Shirihai!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back