• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whale watching in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

I am hoping to visit Sri Lanka next April (I'm looking for people to join me btw) on a mammal watching trip. I have been looking at tagging a whale trip on the end but I am very concerned about reports of the boats surrounding the whales and not sticking to the required distance. Has anyone got any first-hand experience of this?

Steve

Hi Steve, we went with Raja and the Whales - an ethical company, with a decent sized boat. Sadly no Blue, and despite the boat size I wasnt very well...
I'd strongly recommend Wilpatu NP for mammals, we had success here, and night drives are a possibility. Trip report here, let me know if you want any more info!
Cheers, Dan

Hi Steve, we went with Raja and the Whales - an ethical company, with a decent sized boat. Sadly no Blue, and despite the boat size I wasnt very well...
I'd strongly recommend Wilpatu NP for mammals, we had success here, and night drives are a possibility. Trip report here, let me know if you want any more info!
Cheers, Dan
Thanks. Where did they go from?

For the other stuff for the first time I am actually going to go with a local wildlife company - Bird and Wildlife team - due to the emphasise on mammals, especially night mammals. Wilpattu is the first place on the itinerary. I suspect we will be largely nocturnal.

Thanks. Where did they go from?

For the other stuff for the first time I am actually going to go with a local wildlife company - Bird and Wildlife team - due to the emphasise on mammals, especially night mammals. Wilpattu is the first place on the itinerary. I suspect we will be largely nocturnal.
Sounds like a great trip! They operate out of Mirissa, I think most of the Whale watching companies do. I seem to remember that they offered some partial refund if they didn't find whales during the trip, but I forget how much.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back