• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WWII Kriesgmarine 7x50 in my local auction (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I'm trying to find out if they are worth buying (to sell on) and a bit more about their history. While I'm doing my own research, I thought it would be worth asking here - since there is usually someone on BF who already knows the answer.

What is the T for, what is the year of manufacture?

They are in an original case and the collimation is fine, though they could do with a clean.

Of course if anyone wants me to get them on their behalf, just let me know.

Attachments

• DSCF4050.JPG
    DSCF4050.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF4051.JPG
    DSCF4051.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
So to answer my own questions.

T is Coated optics, 1939 looks to be the production year, and ARTL means they were issued to marine artillery.

Would be useful to see the underside of the glass. The ocean going versions usually had ports for dessicant cartridges there. Absent such, these may have been for coastal artillery.
The glass is unfortunately not an Uboat model, which fetch much more.
The book on these is the monograph by Dr Hans T Seeger, 'Military Binoculars and Telescopes'. The Zeiss 7x50 gets a lot of coverage in that text.

The "Artl." marking was used for both shipboard or land based coastal artillery.

Picture 1 shows the dessicant cartridge ports and picture 2 shows where they would be situated on the binocular being discussed.

L1030804 copy.jpg

dessicant.1 copy.jpg

Last edited:
The cartridge ports would be covered openings on the flat prism housings, to either side of the hinge pin.
Seeger has some photos of Zeiss glass with an Artl. marking very similar to that on your glass.
There was considerable variety of the inscriptions on military binoculars and yours come close to the prize for 'most inscribed', with the nazi eagle, the Zeiss logo, the T for coated lenses ( a process that had only been invented a few years prior), the M for navy property and the Artl. for artillery.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back