• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Universal Tele-Adapter (1 Viewer)

Ken N

Has anyone tried an Opticron UTA? I have just bought a pair of 8x42 Imagic roofs and the idea of being able to move to a 20X mag to check out the occasional distant bird without carrying a telescope is attractive.

I ordered a pair of 10X42 DBA's with the UTA from Warehouse Express last Friday.

I tried them out over the weekend in quite dull lighting (it's grim up North this time of year) and was not overly impressed.

I couldn't get on with the Binos and will be returning them.

The UTA was more interesting.

It was difficult to get a true picture of their effectiveness as both days were overcast and a bit windy but I would not write them off.

The image was bigger (as expected) but there were the obvious downsides:

1) You will need a very steady hand - shaking was evident even when resting arms on top of table.
2) Good lighting is essential - In the poor light I had the image seemed blurred and indistinct.
3) The FOV is tiny making the target hard to aqquire.

However the unit is light, compact and well made.

When I find a pair of Bins that suit me I will go back for a second opinion on the UTA.

Why not order one from warehouse express ? - If its unsuitable you can return it within 7 working days. It will cost you the return postage but if you drive to a shop to test one it will cost you in fuel etc. and you will only get limited testing time.

Zoltan, thanks for the very useful information. I'll try a UTA out first hand as you suggest - it may be easier to hold steady and give a bit more FOV with 8X magnification bins. We do get mostly good light here so that shouldn't be a problem.

Interesting that you didn't like the DBAs. I tried all the Opticron roofs from Verano though to DBA and got on with them all -especially as they all seemed to work very well with spectacles. The Imagic Oasis seemed noticeably better than the Verano and close to the DBA - but at half the price. Zeiss FLs and Nikon HGs were both brighter than all the Opticrons, but way beyond my budget - and neither were quite as good with specs.

Very interesting Ken, esp that bit about the Nikon HG's - I will be trying them next, probably HGL's but like you they are way out of my affordable price range. So... back to weekly terms or the flexible friend.
Once I get I a pair of bins I will still try the Opticron UTA again.

Due to visit an In-Focus day at Hauxly Reserve tomorrow.

Will provide feedback if he has any UTA's with other makes of Bino.

I'm awaiting a UTA from WE for use with my Mighty Midget II with an HDF zoom eyepiece which should give me @ 90x mag - be interesting to see if it's a useable combination - the scope has so far been a worthwhile if expensive purchase - it's only a small travelscope but the combo was around £300 - benefit is that it's so small & light that it gets carried everywhere and used a lot.

Chris Oates said:
I'm awaiting a UTA from WE for use with my Mighty Midget II

Well it arrived but didn't fit as the adaptor chart at WE has a column missing when compared to the one at Opticron's site - ordered correct adaptor from Opticron which arrived with a (free) nice new storage pouch for the combo.
Fits snugly on the scope , has a twist-up eyecup and does what it says - magnifies x2.5.
Which of course makes everything 2.5x more difficult - at 90-100x combined magnification you could sense earthquakes in China with this - focusing can be errrrr tedious - easy to get 'blackout' .....I could see some folks prefering to buy quality dedicated eyepieces but I couldn't as I already have the highest mag HDF eyepiece combo for my scope.
I will be using this a lot as I often view from very long distance and putting on the UTA takes only a second - also works nicely with the bins.
Image quality and light gathering are history but the gadget gets me where my feet won't.

I could of course buy a 100mm scope and have a quality view at this magnification but then I wouldn't be able to take it to work or carry it on my Bro's bike along with my camera gear - I have a minimalist kit which works but goes anywhere - the tripod is the biggest problem but that's carbon fibre so weight is not a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back