• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski UTAs Binocular Adapter (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying the UTAs universal tripod adapter. I would use it to mount an NL 12x42 on a Gitzo 1545T (see pics).

Has anyone tried this combination? Is the UTAs good quality and worth the money?

Plus, does anyone know about a good deal on the UTAs at the moment? (UK shipping)

Thanks!

1690379997493.pngIMG-3261.jpgIMG-3262.jpg

The UTA I believe has an Arca-compatible foot, but overall I prefer the Leica adapter, which provides a very positive positioning of the right barrel of any roof prism binocular from 32 to 50 mm, or even 56 mm at a stretch. It is threaded 1/4"x20, so you need a QR plate for a similar total cost to the UTA.
Btw, the 1545T is rather short, so with a bin, you're probably going to have to sit down. :)

John

overall I prefer the Leica adapter, which provides a very positive positioning of the right barrel of any roof prism binocular from 32 to 50 mm, or even 56 mm at a stretch. It is threaded 1/4"x20, so you need a QR plate for a similar total cost to the UTA.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Is this the one...? I wonder if it would fit the NL's unconventional barrel shape.

Leica BA.png

Hello Will.
Just a few words without knowing if they will be useful to you. I use this kind of config almost every day (monopod + adapter).
Swarovski sells this thing way too expensive for my taste, like most brands !!
After several searches, I found this same kind, but for 29€, of very good quality, and which works perfectly with my NL's 10x32.
Adaptateur trépied universel pour jumelles
The only question now is will they agree to send to England ?... (TopOptics is in Belgium). You just have to ask the question here : [email protected]

B.jpg

Sans titre-1.jpg

;)

Last edited:
The UTA will fit the NL’s, but the outdoorsmans stud and their binocular adaptor is a far better setup. You can still hold the binos like you would freehand which is much more natural than a bulky cage around them.

The UTA will fit the NL’s, but the outdoorsmans stud and their binocular adaptor is a far better setup. You can still hold the binos like you would freehand which is much more natural than a bulky cage around them.
That's good to know, thanks.

I think I'd like the option of using the strap with other binos, too. Maybe also an aversion to fiddly screw or stud adapters. Freehand feel does sound like a boon, though.

...I'm indecisive, as always!

Get both, there’s no reason to cut corners over $100 accessories when using $3K binos. I use the stud and adaptor for my NL’s because it’s just phenomenal to use and then the UTA for others without studs or not easily studable. I’ve got the RRS and Aziak clamps too but they both blow, they offset the binos to one side which isn’t as nice to pan with and move around vs the plate being centered up. The UTA keeps them center. It’s just bulky to use and keep in a pack compared to the outdoorsman’s.

Why would you want to leave the adapter on the binocular?
Fitting the binocular to a platform adapter takes no longer than fitting the adapter to a tripod head.

John

When they're on a tripod you still have to direct them somehow as well as manipulate the focus. Also hand hands on them for stability to reduce wind shake. That is nowhere near as comfortable in the cage vs on an outdoorsmans stud and adaptor.

When they're on a tripod you still have to direct them somehow as well as manipulate the focus. Also hand hands on them for stability to reduce wind shake. That is nowhere near as comfortable in the cage vs on an outdoorsmans stud and adaptor.
Even a monopod is a quantum leap in stability compared to hand-holding, so if you're experiencing wind shake at binocullar magnifications on a tripod you either go birding in a hurricane (probably outside your comfort zone) or have an incredibly flimsy tripod.

Even a monopod is a quantum leap in stability compared to hand-holding, so if you're experiencing wind shake at binocullar magnifications on a tripod you either go birding in a hurricane (probably outside your comfort zone) or have an incredibly flimsy tripod.

I live on the gulf coast, most of my birding is on the gulf feet from the water, there’s almost always a breeze or light wind. I use nothing but RRS tripods and heads, I shoot up to 25lbs rifles on them at distances as far as a mile, if there’s a more solid tripod then I’m not aware of it. As to my comfort in adverse conditions Friday night I set watching some sand hill cranes as a tornado formed coming almost directly towards me.

You should assume less about people that you don’t know.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 21
I shoot up to 25lbs rifles on them at distances as far as a mile
As we are on 'Birdforum', can I please, out of curiosity, ask you 3 questions that intrigue me after reading you...
  • What kind of birds do you shoot at ?
  • You shoot at them for food ?
  • You were just watching at 'Sand hill cranes', or is it allowed to shoot these birds too ?...

As we are on 'Birdforum', can I please, out of curiosity, ask you 3 questions that intrigue me after reading you...
  • You were just watching at 'Sand hill cranes', or is it allowed to shoot these birds too ?...
Think there is misunderstanding.
The 'on them' clearly indicates that the tripod is used for a long range shooting gun rest.
Rifles are not used for bird shooting, a high speed bullet would explode the bird.
The man is clearly an avid birder, watching Sand Hill cranes in face of an oncoming tornado shows real dedication.

They’re used for long range shooting and I also did a lot of night hunting for predators. I don’t hunt birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back