• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 42 se cf front end-cap (1 Viewer)

DamianP

I've lost the front end cap off my bins - does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I'm not bothered if it's genuine Nikon or not as long as it fits.

Cheers, Damian.

I've lost the front end cap off my bins - does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I'm not bothered if it's genuine Nikon or not as long as it fits.

Cheers, Damian.

I've been using Swarovski 42mm SLC objective covers on my 10 x 42 SE for several years. They fit perfectly. I found out about them from someone here on Bird Forum.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks Ceaser, I'll try and find some of those. I saw some mentioned on here ages ago before I lost mine but couldn't find the thread - probably those that you've mentioned.

Thanks Mooreorless!

I've just realised after searching for the objective covers that it's the eyepiece covers (rainguard?) I need! I forgot which the objective was - I think I'm going mental!

Does anyone know of a suitable eyepiece cover? The one I lost was a double cover and was tethered.

Cheers, Damian.

Last edited:
I've just realised after searching for the objective covers that it's the eyepiece covers (rainguard?) I need! I forgot which the objective was - I think I'm going mental!

Does anyone know of a suitable eyepiece cover? The one I lost was a double cover and was tethered.

Cheers, Damian.

Damian,

Well, at least now you know why birds always looked so tiny through your bins. ;)

Never liked the hard plastic, one-piece rainguard on the SEs, they are huge and always get in the way and have at times swung back and hit me in the eye when I lifted the bin quickly to catch a bird.

I prefer a lighter weight, two-piece rainguard like this one that EO sells for $11. I have one on my 8x EII and plan to buy one for my 8x SE. It gets out of your way.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-optics-binocular-rainguard.html

Brock

Damian,
If you go to the [URL="www.opticron.co.uk" URL] then accessories and rainguards, they have a rainguard that should fit. I have checked my SE's and the eyecups measure 41/42mm so the 43mm size no.31020 should fit. I am assuming that you don't wear glasses because if you have to fold the eyecups down then you will need at least 47mm which is outside the Opticron range. Opticron are very helpful people to deal with by the way.

Brock
It is often pointed out how badly fitting the original SE rainguard is, but that must be from people how don't wear glasses. If you wear glasses and have to fold down the eyecups, it fits perfectly.

Stan

Damian,

Good advice from Pete, but I don't think his links get you to the 43mm one you need, but if you use either of his links then search for Opticron 31020 I think that is the one.

Stan

Wow. Thanks very much for the advice and links. I never liked the original eyepiece cover either, so hopefully I can now find something I prefer.

I may also start finding some decent birds now that I know which end of the bins I'm meant to be looking through - all I've found up to now are those bloody bee hummingbirds!;)

As this thread has reached a satisfactory conclusion and has been viewed by SE owners, may I go off on a tangent ?

Why is there no 8x42SE ?

Seems a gaping hole in the SE line up to me.

A Nikon 8x42 SE - what a dream binocular, especially if it came with twist up eyecups. I wouldn't be worried about it being waterproof. (Some Leicas aren't !!- Sorry, a bit below the belt)

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in with the standard SE specification as has been mentioned before, possibly by Henry Link.

The 8X32, 10x42 and 12x50 all use the same eyepiece design and prism housing. I think the only difference is the length of the objective lens housing and the size of the objective lens. Apparently, in order to provide an 8x42 version it would require a major internal redesign.

Just out of interest, I think that the 10x42 is a better binocular than the 8x32 in terms of resolution of objects as everything seems to be so much closer. However, the 8x32 is the better all round instrument. If you can hold a 10x binocular steady, then the 10x42 SE is amongst the best, particularly with its 3D porro view - try one if you can. Time has taken its toll with me so I can't hold mine steady any more but I keep it out of sentiment as I personally don't think that there is a better binocular.

Stan

Thanks for the explanation Stan.

I will try one when I am able.

Not sure it would be much better than my HR WP except in the fov stakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back