• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small woodland birds, Northants UK (1 Viewer)

stevethehydra

Today at Salcey Forest:

1) and 2) (possibly not same individual) - Marsh or Willow Tit? Not sure if too out of focus to determine between the 2...

3) (again maybe or maybe not same individual) - presumably a rather dull-plumaged Great Tit? Didn't see a black chest stripe (although did on at least one individual in the same mixed tit flock) - possibly juvenile?

4) Hopelessly out of focus, but maybe just about possible to confirm Blackcap? (saw a clear Blackcap a few minutes earlier, but didn't manage to photograph it)

5) This one was very small (looked about the size of a Wren), flitting very quickly back and forth between bushes/saplings about 6ft off the path, only managed to snap one quick photo of it. Presumably a warbler, but i have no idea which one...

Also one that i didn't manage to photograph - a few minutes before the last warbler, i saw some smallish (bigger than a non-Great tit or a Blackcap, perhaps about Robin-size, if slimmer), streaky brown birds flying quite low along a ditch by the side of a path, which was full of cow parsley plants. Got within a few feet of 3 together in the ditch (first 2 flew before i got a chance to photograph them, then the third, which i hadn't noticed before flushing the first 2). Too slim to be Dunnock, warbler-like in general appearance (slim head joining smoothly with body, pointed bill, tail longer than a robin's but shorter than a pipit's). The first 2 looked redder and streakier, the 3rd plainer and greyer, but otherwise similar, and at least the last one had white outer tail feathers. Nearest thing in my bird book seems to be female and male (respectively) Whitethroat, but not certain as i didn't see any obvious white on any of them (though probably didn't get a particularly good look at the throat).

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 161
The first two are Willow or Marsh Tit, though I can't tell from the photo. Third is a great tit, fourth I can't make out and 5th is a Willow Warbler.

1 and 2) marsh or willow indeed - I get more of a marsh feel (not very scientific - perhaps best left unidentified!)
3 - young great tit
4) blackcap
5) chiffchaff or willow warbler - can't see anything 100% diagnostic of either from this photo I'm afraid.

1 and 2) marsh or willow indeed - I get more of a marsh feel (not very scientific - perhaps best left unidentified!)
3 - young great tit
4) blackcap
5) chiffchaff or willow warbler - can't see anything 100% diagnostic of either from this photo I'm afraid.

I called it a Willow Warbler based on the legs, which appear very orange.

I called it a Willow Warbler based on the legs, which appear very orange.

or at least the feet do - I can't see the legs well due to them being part of the blur. This could fit either species. I'm erring on the side of caution - phylloscs are a nightmare once the breeding season is under way - all tatty and not singing.

1&2) Marsh/Willow but I'm leaning towards marsh for no good reason!
3) Young great tit
4) Probably blackcap
5) Willowchiff

1st/2nd, i'm leaning towards marsh based on what appears to be a 2 tone cheek in first pic although that could be angle/shadow.

3rd, agree

4th, no idea

5th willow w due to rich eyestripe and pinky/yellow legs,(although these vary)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back