• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Partridge nest - all egg vanished?? (1 Viewer)

Cduk100

Hi, we had a partridge lay 15 eggs in a nest in our garden (on a raised planter covered in ivy) we have watched it daily sitting in the corner however this morning I checked to see the partridge wasn't there and I looked closer to see all eggs have vanished? No sign of broken eggs? I just wanted to check this isn't common and that possibly someone has stollen them? Any thoughts?? Many Thanks

Hi, we had a partridge lay 15 eggs in a nest in our garden (on a raised planter covered in ivy) we have watched it daily sitting in the corner however this morning I checked to see the partridge wasn't there and I looked closer to see all eggs have vanished? No sign of broken eggs? I just wanted to check this isn't common and that possibly someone has stollen them? Any thoughts?? Many Thanks

Welcome to BF!
Fox, probably. It's fairly common.

Peter

Nest

Hi, thanks for replying but wouldn't there be a mess from a fox, broken eggs, feathers from the bird that was sitting on the nest?

I have noticed today one new egg back in the nest?? its very strange.

Sounds like a fox...it's a shame when you see the work they put into it only for to be undone in a couple of minutes but that's nature. Sounds like they're trying a second brood.

Could be a fox or a Carrion Crow. Both will take eggs one-by-one and either eat them elsewhere or bury them. You might find eggs buried around the garden. Crows like to take them to a safe place to eat, and you will find a collection of various eggshells scattered around.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back