• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car spotting (1 Viewer)

The most expletives from passengers I've heard whilst driving were both produced by different low flying(European)Black Vultures

Most memorably F****** H*** look at the size of that F****** C****

I was sitting with my feet dangling over a cliff in nthn Mallorca when one glided passed me and looked me right in the eye. I knew exactly what tbat bugger was thinking. Scary.

Chris

Ring Ouzel over the road in front of me at Frodsham a few years ago, where I've also had excellent views of Long-eared Owl going post to post late one night from the car.
Once had an exhausted Leach's Petrel handed to me through the open car window at North Wirral Country Park. Presumably the same Laugher at Port Madoc as Phil, as well as the first I saw in the car park at Newcastle General Hospital a lifetime ago. Chimney Swift in Cornwall. (Can't recall where off hand, but there was a Bluetail a couple of miles down the road at the time - near Rame perhaps?) Black Stork in a dead tree somewhere in the welsh bordelands, Alpine Swift from a pub car park on the wirral. If I can think of any more I'll be back!

Cheers

James

I think your winning on points

Reading the threads on Wryneck reminded me of the time when,after a good lunch,I decidided on a siesta and drove up a country track for ten minutes shuteye.As soon as I stopped the car a Wryneck landed on the bonnet and was clearly agitated and I soon realised why.I had parked right next to it´s nest hole and it wanted to feed it´s young.I reversed away and watched the comings and goings for an hour.Much better than the siesta I hjad planned.Eddy.

Had a three-toed woodpecker fly across the motorway as I passed from Norway into Sweden. A life tick for me!

And my first sighting of a roller was near Santa Pola on the way to the airport in Alicante a few years back. The bright blue flashes as it flew to perch on a power line almost made me crash...

Last edited:
Which reminds me that I've had a White-backed Woodie in front of the car in the Spanish Pyrenees- also a tick and better for not knowing that they were there.

Why is that woodpecker so big, where are its scapular patches and why is its back and rump white was how the conversation went.

I guess also finding the adult Thayers Gull and the Slaty-backed Gull on Pitsea Tip from my Landrover within 3 months of each other, both UK firsts subject to acceptance, would be hard for me to beat.

A day trip to Torres del Paine NP from Punta Arenas (Chile) with nearly 30 lifers for me, including Darwin's Rhea, Andean Condor, Cinereous Harier, and a flock of Austral Parakeet. It was a touristy trip and the driver got a bit annoyed: "why stop here, that's just a condor!?"

My favourite's my first White-tailed Eagle in Iceland; I did a full stop at 50 mph and we nearly skid off a cliff.

N

Also had Snow Goose and Quail from the car in the flatlands on Lancashire (on different days mind).

James

Last edited:
Great White Egret today on the Hampshire / Dorset border, spotted at about 60mph. Bizarrely I'd just flushed the same bird about 7miles further north earlier in the morning!

cheers, alan

Great White Egret today on the Hampshire / Dorset border, spotted at about 60mph. Bizarrely I'd just flushed the same bird about 7miles further north earlier in the morning!
cheers, alan
Alan, well done for successfully pursuing the bird for 7 miles at 60mph! ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back