• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

She Was *INTO* Plants! (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

We didn't know it at the time we brought the orchids into the house near the end of September. On October 4th, I saw her ~lounging~ on the couch and that is when we first officially met. There she was in all her prettiness ... a Praying Mantis! She was named Francis since we first met on the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi.

She must have come in on the orchids ... unnoticed. We gave her some crickets (sorry crickets!!!) and she was sooo very hungry! We could not put her back outside because by now the evening temperatures were in the 40sF or below ... plus it was raining. She would have died soon after being put out. We could NOT do that to her.

We put her in an aquarium with timothy hay and some branches ...

Hmmm002.jpg

Hmmm004.jpg

... and a shallow bowl of water. She's had a variety of live things to eat ... crickets, mealworms, the mealworm beetles and waxworms. She's been doing VERY well since we found her and last Friday she produced an egg mass ...

Hmmm001.jpg

We do not think they will hatch since she has not been with a male Mantis since we found her. According to research, a Praying Mantis can live 6-8 month, according to the species. She is VERY nice and even responds to her name!!!

Francis will eagerly climb onto anyone's hand and arm ... perhaps seeking extra warmth or is she being curious? We are not sure. She is in our kitchen and very personable! She will live out her days safe, warm and well fed with us.

I must admit that we never kept an insect as a pet ... unless you count the lady bug a decade or so ago that over-wintered on the window sill. LOL!

As with all our guests ... We are honoured to have her share her life with us!

Well I'm so pleased to see that thing haven't changed over the pond, and there is still house room for all kinds of creatures.
This set me wondering Lydia is there anything you wouldn't have as a lodger?

George

Hi! We spotted a small corner in the kitchen that didn't have a creature so it was the *perfect* spot for Francis and her aquarium! LOL!

Hmmmmm. What would NOT be welcome in the house? Centipede! Eeeeeekkkkkkk!

re P.Mantis

Hi! We spotted a small corner in the kitchen that didn't have a creature so it was the *perfect* spot for Francis and her aquarium! LOL!

Hmmmmm. What would NOT be welcome in the house? Centipede! Eeeeeekkkkkkk!

NICE ONE Lydia. p.m's fascinate me but,I like the green ones best.I don't mind the normal garden type centipedes but the giant ones that used climb in my boots/shoes at night gave me the screeming abdabs.

maurice xx

Francis was green when we first met. She slowly became brownish and we worried she was ~on her way out~. But ... She's been on the brown side for several weeks and still doing well.

Her belly is enlarged again and we wonder if Francis will lay more eggs or ... is she eating too well and needs to have a weight loss coach! LOL!

We return you to your normality!

Ooooh she's gorgeous! :t: I'm a huge fan of Praying Mantis as I find them incredibly fascinating o:)

In October 1992 I was in Crete with my boyfriend and he was disgusted when, on our first evening there, something big flew past and landed on the pavement in front of us and I picked it up - my first ever mantis :t:
Later in that same holiday I found an even bigger one on the wall of our apartment and named her Evil Edna because if you went too close she wou;ld actually jump at you!!! :eek!: :-O

Years later I was working in a pet shop and holding a mantis on my hand and staring into her strange eyes when she jumped onto my face!!!!!! I screamed with the shock and then started laughing hysterically :-O My boss wasn't happy though (miserable auld witch that she was) and told me to stop messing about :-O

One day I plan to sort out my passport again and take Neil abroad and show him some mantids :t:

LOL! Don't ~mess~ with a mantis!!!

I've seen videos of mantis vs human ... attacks! Francis is very docile ... so far.

Letcha know what happens! :)

Awwww! Francis, the Mantis, was sooooooooo cute this morning! I was giving her a fresh bowl of water and she reached out to hold onto it and she took a gooood long drink. She turned her head around. I guess to see me better? Hard to tell but then she turned back and was having another long drink and still holding onto the bowl. When she was done she climbed up my arm. I put her dish in her enclosure and then Little Simon ( the youngest cat) had his eye on Francis! EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK! He's our resident murderer of anything!

I placed Francis back into her home and made sure the lid was secure and she was safe once again. Awwwww! Francis is so sweet!

I know ... I know I'm looney!!! But REALLY! She is the NICEST Praying Mantis I ever met!!!

Hi again. Just me!

Francis laid another egg mass yesterday. The first one has not hatched so I'm sure this one will not produce mini-mantis either. :*(

We'd *LOVE* to introduce a Mr. Mantis into her life but ... with snow and sub-freezing temperatures now ... that aint a gonna happen! Plus ... Francis would likely eat Mr. Mantis!

~SIGH~​

Oh oh! Francis seems *MUCH* weaker today than ever!!!! :*( We fear she may be at the end of her life span.

I did take a video of her today and will post it prolly tomorrow.

Francis is fine. Not knowing what to give her as a gift for Christmas ... we gave her a MUCH larger enclosure. We did send an e-mail to the Cleveland Zoo asking if they have a *spare* male mantis for her. Wisely they have ignored me! LOL!

Francis seems very happy. We're doing what we can for her. We will keep her eggs for a loooong time. Maybe they will hatch in the spring? That would be wonderful!!!!

She is REALLY very nice! Wish you could meet her!

I have several videos of her but they are too long, or whatever, to upload.

I'll keep trying.

We knew it was coming soon and this morning Francis died. She had been a ground dweller for several weeks, being too weak to hold onto branches, but she adapted to life on the ground floor.

She was wrapped up in a paper towel along with an orchid spike in full flower and buried near the house. We'll hold onto her eggs and hopefully in the spring we'll hear the pitter patter of multiple feet and the legacy of Francis will carry on. :*(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back