• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clever Zeiss Safari fake (1 Viewer)

It's a fake. Had a Zeiss 8x30 IF Safari for many years. Not only are the markings wrong, the bleeding port screw is located on top of the arms. The Zeiss port is on the side of the arms. I have many old Zeiss brochures which show enough detail to support your conclusion. The Ebay listing has been removed. Where did it come from? I suspect from Japan, either by Nikon or Celestron. I have a Celestron 10x40 IF which looks similar.

I've seen a Swift, Brunton, and Celestron version of the ersatz Zeiss.

The Brunton was especially interesting because it was a 9x30.

I saved pictures of the Brunton and the ersatz Zeiss, and will post them later.

The Celestron version of the Zeiss Safari.

Attachments

• celestron1.JPG
    celestron1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 98
  • celestron2.JPG
    celestron2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 81
  • celestron3.JPG
    celestron3.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 92
  • celestron4.JPG
    celestron4.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 103
  • celestron5.JPG
    celestron5.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 81
Here are pictures from the closed ebay auction. The fake Zeiss and the celestron are very similar. It wouldn't surprise me if the copies were from the same manufacturer.

Attachments

• ersatzSafari1 copyR.png
    ersatzSafari1 copyR.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 106
  • ersatzSafari2 copyR.png
    ersatzSafari2 copyR.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ersatzSafari3copyR.png
    ersatzSafari3copyR.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 92
  • ersatzSafari4 copyR.png
    ersatzSafari4 copyR.png
    113 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back